Yamaha rx675 defaulting to av4

Snackers

Standard Member
Firstly, sorry, from searching it looks like this may have been asked in various guises before but I cannot seem to find a solution - not sure if that is because there is no solution or because I am simple!

Short version - turn on tv using remote, this switches on avr. Initially it connects to hdmi1 and all fine, then after 3 secs it switches the input automatically to av4 and then I lose sound. I have to manually switch it back to get sound again.

Long one:

Avr is yamaha rx675 and connected to one of the hdmi ports is a sky stb. The avr is then connected via hdmi (arc) to tv, samsung f8000 (hdmi3 arc)

Hdmi control is on on the amp with the audio set to av4 (no idea why since I am not using av4, or am i missing something?). Tv is set up with hdmi-cec on and all other seemingly sensible options selected - if there are specific ones for this ask and i can give details.

What i want is to turn the tv on / off using the tv remote and have this automatically turn on or off the avr - both so i can just use one remote, but also because the avr is in a different room owing to speaker wiring etc .. The issue is that on turning the tv in the avr kicks in normally but then automatically changes the input to av4 so i get picture but no sound. I then either need to switch the avr input manually or by changing the tv source to another then back to hdmi3 at which point the avr automatically switches back to hdmi1

Since the avr can switch it seems there should be a solution, but the initial power on is the problem. Is this just yamaha does not play well with samsung or is it possible to fix?

By way of extra tries, i have also tried connecting the avr av4 to the tv using an optical cable, but this does not seem to help.

Please help, it is realllllllllly irritating!

Thanks
Snackers

Gehrman

I am having a similar issue only with the Yamaha Rxv375 mate and was just about to start a thread.
If I switch the tv to the hdmi channel that the amp is plugged in to it powers on ok and I get picture but no audio until I power the amp off then back on again. Very annoying.
This is on a Panasonic plasma.

Stretchy

Hi. I have a Sammy and a Yamaha 671 connected the same way you do, I believe that AV4 is the default route for sound for ARC, for example, if I use the spotify app on the tv, it's output via av4 through the front speakers. I have the same issue and from what I can tell there doesn't seem to be an easy answer, I don't think the remote will turn on the amp and telly together, although it does turn them off together as I'm sure you have noticed.

Snackers

Standard Member
Thanks for the comments, the more I search and fiddle the more I think this is a (minor) problem with the amps rather than something that set-up can fix.

Stretchy - for what it's worth, my amy does turn on with the tv and for the first 2 seconds it works as intended, but then the amp automatically switches input to av4 and i lose sound. This is only really a pain as i need to fire up the ipad to switch it back as the amp is in another room so remote is useless. As a anlternative if i switch source on tv away from hdmi then back again the amp switches back to hdmi input and sound returns.

What i don't understand is why ARC needs a default siund input, surely the point is that this is over the hdmi cable and therefore does not need another route?

Annoying, but not the end of the world. Perhaps one day a firmware update will resolve......?

Stretchy

Thanks for the comments, the more I search and fiddle the more I think this is a (minor) problem with the amps rather than something that set-up can fix.

Stretchy - for what it's worth, my amy does turn on with the tv and for the first 2 seconds it works as intended, but then the amp automatically switches input to av4 and i lose sound. This is only really a pain as i need to fire up the ipad to switch it back as the amp is in another room so remote is useless. As a anlternative if i switch source on tv away from hdmi then back again the amp switches back to hdmi input and sound returns.

What i don't understand is why ARC needs a default siund input, surely the point is that this is over the hdmi cable and therefore does not need another route?

Annoying, but not the end of the world. Perhaps one day a firmware update will resolve......?
Hi. Apologies, I wasn't clear in my reply, I can't turn on my tv and amp with the tv remote but I would like to? it does work with the Yamaha remote for scene settings up so maybe it's the 671 or I have the order set up wrong. Completely agree, it shouldn't need to default to av4, mine jumps from hdmi1 for sky to av4 within a few seconds to so by rights if should be possible to tell it not to do that as well, may have another play over the rainy weekend.

premilo

Standard Member
I have same problem. My Yamaha 773 switches to AV4 and I lose sound. Did someone find any solution? I tried a separate optical cable in AV4 but that didn't help either.

Fmrl

Novice Member
I think with ARC the Yamaha reserves an input (you can change which one this is assigned to in the setup) - you can't then use this input physically. I'm not sure why it handles ARC this way but I guess it's just a limitation of the Yamaha itself (it would make more sense to have a "virtual" input just for ARC).

If you're using ARC though, I think that should be the only connection between the amp and the TV - for instance if you also have an optical cable then there's bound to be confusion ie. ARC says either TV speakers *OR* amp, you tell the TV to output via optical, TV switches to speaker mode and auto-mutes the amp... you get silence.

L3g3nd

You can assign what sound mode you use to whichever input, by going to which input your hdmi is going to for tv .Then from the inputs set up selection on the on screen menu and push up on the remote and set hdmi instead of av4.

Ralphy1981

I've given up trying. Can't get ARC to work at all on my Yamaha 675.

eddscott

At first, I got Anynet+ to work fine between my Samsung 64F8500, Sky HD Box and the 675. I could turn the TV and the 675 on from the Sky remote - I have a baby so the receiver is in a unit with a solid door so Anytime+ is a must have feature.

Just as a side point, I could get this switching to work from HDMI 1 of the F8500 which isn't ARC enabled. The 675 defaulted to AV4 irrespective of the HDMI port used on the F8500.

It all worked just fine - TV comes on, 675 comes on - Cab/Sat input - fine. Sort of.....

The 675 clicks to AV4 after a second or two. Bit of a pain but I'm sure I can re-assign the inputs so its not a problem.

But wait, there is a problem. Every input is available in AV4 except HDMI - why? What reason would there be for not allowing any of the HDMI inputs to be assigned to AV4.

Only thing I could do was assign Optical 1 to AV4 and hook up an optic from Sky box to 675.

I looked up this "defaults to AV4" and there is quite a bit of discussion on the net. I simply can't understand why Yamaha don't allow HDMI to be selectable to AV4 - Shirley, it could be fixed in a firmware update?

I have since bought an Onkyo 828 which also changes from cab/sat to TV after a second or two - from my fiddling I'm sure the switch action is caused by signal from the TV (take out the HDMI lead from the TV and turn it all on, bet it doesn't change) However, the 828 allows the HDMI to be used for the TV and turning everything on from the Sky remote works flawlessly.

As a complete aside I have a Panasonic tv hooked up to a Samsung soundbar in my bedroom and when they are both turned on, the soundbar comes up with HDMI ARC then defaults to the optical line. So it isn't just Yamaha.

Ralphy1981

It now appears to work ! Yay.

Lenny213

Standard Member
Current Setup: Amp = RX-V673, TV = Samsung ES7000 (2012/2013 model), Sky HD (connected to Amp).

I'm having the same issue here which is really frustrating. Switch on my setup which has ARC enabled. For the first 10 seconds or so I get audio & video though HDMI 2. After this, video remains however the audio switches to AV4.

I have now done a test and switched on the amp with the TV disconnected... The audio remains on HDMI 2 and does NOT switch to AV4. Conclusion = it's definitely a signal that is either coming from or going to Amp/TV which is causing the problem. Sure it's a really simple fix but can't for the life of me figure out how to resolve this.

Any suggestions?

Stretchy

Any positive progress on this folks? Just been having another play in the hope I stumble on a solution. I did notice that if you use the SCENE button on on the Yamaha remote it does turn on the amp and the tv together and go to HDMI 2 on the tv but then goes to AV4 a few seconds later so it must be still taking the tv output as priority. Grr.

Lenny213

Standard Member
So I have looked everywhere for a solution to this and there doesn't seem to be one although there is a workaround - not ideal though unfortunately. What some folks are doing is plugging all their devices to the tv directly. That said the Amp should be the centre of an entertainment system, not the TV...

RXV867OWNER

Novice Member
I have the same problem with a Yamaha RX-V867. It powers up ok, but in a few seconds it switches to AV4. It seems this is designed to channel audio from external sources connected directly to the TV or by applications running on a smart (internet connected) TV to the RX-V867. Why this functionality is given priority over what's possibly the primary way people use their gear (a cable box connected via their AVR to a TV) isn't clear. Connecting all video sources (with the possible exception of a CD/DVD player) directly to the TV is the only way I can think of to make this work. The problem with this approach is the possibility (likelihood?) that audio will be degraded by channeling from source-->TV-->AVR rather than source-->AVR. Where is Yamaha in all of this?

dante01

Distinguished Member
This same thing occurs with almost all if not all AV receivers. I've a new TV and need to use ARC in conjunction with it. When initially powered up the TV forces my Denon AV receiver to the TV source even though I've selected a different one. I use a Harmony remote and I've added additional commands to my TiVo activity power up. I've added a 10 second delay followed by sending the desired input again. This resolves the issue. Its a problem with HDMI Control and ARC rather than one associated with the AV receiver.

Max Peterson

Novice Member
This same thing occurs with almost all if not all AV receivers. I've a new TV and need to use ARC in conjunction with it. When initially powered up the TV forces my Denon AV receiver to the TV source even though I've selected a different one. I use a Harmony remote and I've added additional commands to my TiVo activity power up. I've added a 10 second delay followed by sending the desired input again. This resolves the issue. Its a problem with HDMI Control and ARC rather than one associated with the AV receiver.
I have also tried a Marantz NR1604 receiver and it works with my Samsung TV flawlessly. This is a problem that Yamaha should be able to fix with a firmware update.

I just got a 675 today to replace the Marantz (needed some features that the Marantz didn't offer like Background Video), and I am incredibly disappointed that this is a problem. All I want is for the power of the receiver to be synced with the power status of the TV. That's exactly what "Standby Sync" on the 675 is supposed to do; unfortunately it also tries to switch sources for you. NOT helpful.

dante01

Distinguished Member
For starters, Marantz AV receiver are basically no different to Denon receivers and they use the exact same implimentation of HDMI (hardware, sofware and tech). The issue as described is common to all receivers not not an issue caused by Denon or Yamaha. This is a flaw with HDMI CEC and its ARC feature. The Receivers cannot impliment a switch to the associated ARC TV source without actually being triggered to do so by the TV via HDMI so why is it a problem caused by Denon or Yamaha? Blame the TV manufacturers, they are the ones who tried to hijack HDMI CEC and use it for their own purposes by straying from the guidelines, not the AV manufacturers. The AV manufacturers implement HDMI CEC according to the guidlines while the TV manufacturers alter it purposefully to make it only work with hardware they manufacture.

I'd suggest forgetting all about HDMI CEC altogether and use a Harmony remote if simply wanting devices to power up or down in conjunction with one another.

Last edited:

Max Peterson

Novice Member
The issue as described is common to all receivers not not an issue caused by Denon or Yamaha.
Perhaps you misunderstood my post. The Marantz receiver works GREAT with HDMI-CEC. Everything works as expected (power/standby sync, volume control, source control) unlike with the Yamaha receiver. Clearly Marantz is doing something right.

I'd suggest forgetting all about HDMI CEC altogether and use a Harmony remote if simply wanting devices to power up or down in conjunction with one another.
This seems like a pessimistic solution. HDMI CEC was created for this exact use case. It is a shame that this otherwise great Yamaha receiver has this issue, I may end up having to return it if no one finds a solution.

dante01

Distinguished Member
This seems like a pessimistic solution.
No, its a realistic solution and one which I will continue to suggest. Which do you think thr more probable, using a Harmony remote which is tried, tested and proven to work or sitting awaiting your TV's manufacturer to first own up to there being a problem and then getting around to actually rectifing it?

HDMI was not created for the purpose you assume and was adopted to fulfil the purpose it has assumed. HDMI CEC was most definitely not created for the purpose for which most if not all of the TV manufacturers have tried to hijack it for. The majority of the incompatibilities are due to this hijacking as opposed to the AV receiver manufacturers not following the guidelines.

HDMI CEC is great on paper, but limited in practice. My advise it to not use HDMI CEC unless you have to. HDMI CEC has been problematic since its introduction and HDMI itself isn't exactly a wonderful example of inovative technology. One of the worst decisions ever made was to adopt HDMI for the interface to be used for the conveyance of HD media. I can only surmise that someone received a brown paper envelop filled with bank notes at some point to ensure HDMI was chosen?

Last edited:

Max Peterson

Novice Member
I guess that's fair. I ended up going with a universal remote for some additional reasons anyway, hopefully that is a good solution.

It is just frustrating coming from a brand where the tech works great, and then discovering that it is not usually the case.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I unfortunately have to use HDMI CEC in order to facilitate ARC in association with my TV.The TV is hung on a wall and there's no real possibility of using a separate optical connection for use with content accessed via its SMART capabilities. Other than this, I use a Harmony remote for all control functions and do not use HDMI Control to control HDMI components. The programability of the Harmony actually gives me the ability to rectify the issue of my TV switching my Denon receiver to the TV input. I introduced a time delay plus source change into my Watch TiVo activity to resolves the issue being discussed within this thread. I had a Harmony prior to ARC being introduced along with HDMI 1.4 and this is my third Harmony remote.

Last edited:

DanJD

Standard Member
It all works perfectly for me... I have a Samsung 65" F9000 linked to my Yamaha 675 via The ARC HDMI port (3) on the samsung evolution box and my Sky plus box connected to HDMI port 1 on the samsung evolution box. When I switch my tv on it automatically turns on the sky box and amp to the correct tv input.

dante01

Distinguished Member
In your case you'd want it to switch to AV4 because this would be the correct source on the receiver to access the SKY box's audio via. Your SKY STB is connected to the TV so you have to pass the audio through the TV to the AV4 source on the receiver to hear it. The issue people have is that the receiver defaults to AV4 on power up even when they want to use a different source or input on the receiver. So if powering up the receiver and wanting to use the HDMI1 input the receiver defaults to AV4 rather than HDM1.

By the way, your TV and or receiver cannot be turning your SKY box on because SKY STBs do not support HDMI CEC or HDMI Control. You'd need the box to support HDMI CEC in order for either your TV or your AV receiver to automatically power the STB up. SKY boxes have no HDMI Control capabilities.

Last edited: