Yamaha RX357 Query

G

gozzy27

I have just decided to upgrade my Shuttle PC to the ST20G5 which has radeon xpress 200 onboard graphics.

I was also thinking of getting a yamaha RX357 receiver its got optical audio and component inputs.

Would a dvi to component adapter work for connecting my PC to the receiver with a component cable. Then outputting to my Sony CRT 28" TV via component to scart cable.

receiver is:
http://www.soundandvisiononline.com...product_id=8709

Component to Scart is:
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV375.html

DVI to Component Adapter is:
http://www.videocapturecard.com/hdtvaiwr8500.html

Would this give me as good or better quality compared to the VGA to Scart cable.

Please tell me if I'm taking rubbish

Cable Monkey

No. That lead is not a converter, it is for a component capable scart output (rare beasts).

pragmatic

Your TV would have to have component in via scart, never really heard about one of those though. My Digi box had component out via scart, until i broke it, so the cable does have some uses though.

G

gozzy27

Thanks for the replies - So if I got an AV Reciever that supported component out via scart would this work and if so does anyone know of a reciever that has this feature.

Many Thanks again

Dfour

gozzy27 said:
Thanks for the replies - So if I got an AV Reciever that supported component out via scart would this work and if so does anyone know of a reciever that has this feature.

Many Thanks again
I would doubt that anything like that exists. Very few recievers allow the input/output of scart let alone componant through scart :eek:

Does the pc have a s-vhs output?

leedebs

Dfour said:
I would doubt that anything like that exists. Very few recievers allow the input/output of scart let alone componant through scart :eek:

The Yamaha RXSL80 I have allows input/output of rgb via scart, but not component, so do some Pioneer amps I think.

G

gozzy27

Hi,

The PC has an S-video out if thats what you mean DFour??? Which I use at the moment which is ok but blocky watching movies when the screen is black! :mad:

The new PC I am getting has 1 dvi output and 1 VGA output so I am really looking for the best way to connect my PC to a receiver then connect the receiver to my sony 28" TV which accepts rgb through scart input.

Can anyone recommend the best way to achieve this or a good receiver to play movies in 5.1 and music mp3 files. I have optical out on my PC so would want optical in on my receiver.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks for the replies so far :thumbsup:

pragmatic

gozzy27 said:
The PC has an S-video out if thats what you mean DFour??? Which I use at the moment which is ok but blocky watching movies when the screen is black! :mad:
This is most liky to do with your source than the cable you use, i.e. svideo won't make a picture blocky, rather if your using divx or running dvds in very high resolution then you may see blocky ness (less so in a good dvd over a 600mb divx movie). The vividness of colours and the contrast between them is what different cables do.

gozzy27 said:
Can anyone recommend the best way to achieve this or a good receiver to play movies in 5.1 and music mp3 files. I have optical out on my PC so would want optical in on my receiver.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks for the replies so far :thumbsup:
I doubt you can find a reciever without digital in (from your pc) all modern ones will have both co-ax and optical, although always check to make sure it has at least one of what you need.

What sort of budget are you talking about for a reciever, any particular features you want. For a DVI switching reciever your talking about £800, although there are a few slim line cheaper ones about.

G

gozzy27

gazbarber thanks for your reply you obviously know your stuff.

I am only looking to spend £200ish on reciever as my lounge is only 14 foot by 10.

Just need it for music and divx movies - think I will get an rgb to scart cable to go directly to the TV to get best quality but if I could get a reciever that I could connect the pc to via rgb to scart then out to TV this would be ideal.

Thanks again for your replies you've been really helpful :D

pragmatic

Not sure if there are any pc cards that output in RGB for use with scart but i'm sure someone will have made a working hack out there.
If your Tv has component in then some gfx cards have component out and that would give the same quality as RGB.

Trending threads

Top Bottom