Yamaha RX-V781: connection of notebook (or PC) doesn't provide proper Audio unless HDMI 1+2 is enabled - WHY?

ferion

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,

After studying the manual for several hours and (un)plugging cables and changing settings on the AVR, I am desperate and hope for a hint as to what I'm doing wrong here.

I've been using the Yamaha RX-V781 for several years.
The TV (via HDMI 1) and a projector (Epson EH-TW7000, connected via HDMI 2) are connected to the two HDMI outs of the AVR.

Up until now, the HDMI INs were used to connect an Amazon Fire TV Stick and a Blue Ray Player, (among other devices). Watching movies/shows (alternatively via TV or projector) with the corresponding audio output via the loudspeakers connected to the AVR has always worked without any problems.

I now want to connect my notebook to one of the previously unused HDMI inputs of the AVR for the first time via HDMI cable, so that I can also see its image via TV or projector, with audio output via the loudspeakers connected to the AVR.

The output of the video image works fine, but I have simultaneous audio output ONLY IF I activate the HDMI option HDMI 1 + 2 on the AVR. Meaning: in order to have an audio signal watching with the projector, I also have to switch on the TV! If TV is turned off or if I pull the AVR/TV connection I have no sound!

How can that be or why is that so? I definitely don't want a parallel image on TV, when watching on the projector.

On the notebook (Win 10), the AVR is recognized perfectly when the HDMI cable is plugged in. I don't have any other setting options. But I'm also sure that the cause has to found in the AVR, ie. which setting is wrong or missing ???

The HDMI cable is definitely ok (I tried different ones) and in my opinion it is not the problem with the HDMI input of the AVR (I plugged the HDMI cable from the notebook into different inputs on the AVR with the same result)

On the AVR, HDMI control is deactivated in the configuration settings (HDMI settings).

Does somebody has any idea?

P.S. I also tried PC connection instead of notebook. The result is the same

P.P.S. I also disabled any Audio /HDMI related settings on the projector . This didn’t help either

You shouldn't technically have the issue you are having, not unless you;ve set the
"HDMI Audio Output” setting within the HDMI configurations to ON? This would result in the source looking to the devices connected to the AV receiver's HDMI output for clarification as to what audio that source can output. Set this setting to OFF if set to ON.

Hi dante01. Thx for your reply. I believe that the HDMI Audio Output is on OUT. (to be sure: pls have a look at the attached screen shots . Are these the settings you are referring to?) Yamaha Settings01.jpgYamaha Settings02.jpg

The HDMI audio output settings are indeed configured correctly and wouldn't allow the AV receiver to pasthrough audio set as they are set.

ok, thx a lot for the quick reply. So I at least know that all my settings are correct. Why it doesn't work then is a mystery to me. The only thing that I have not tried yet is a firmware update. I guess I will do this when I find the time in the upcoming week. When I do the update: will all the current setting remain or will everything be "reset" to default?

All yiur current settings and configurations will be retained after you've updated the firmware. You'd not ordinarilly need to reconfigure or recaclibrate the AVR in conjunction with a firmware update if not advised to by the manufacturer.

No, the AV receiver will not be reset to its factory defaults by a firmware update.

all right. I will give it a try and will revert whether this fixed the issue.

Firmware updated without any problems. However, the issue I stated above remains. I am at my wits end.

On the AV receiver's remote you'll see a button labelled HDMI OUT. Press this button to cycle through which of the 2 HDMI outputs are activated. There';ll be a 1+2 option, an option whereby the HDMI 1 output is the only output active, an option whereby the HDMI 2 output is the only output active and ann option where both outputs are turned off.

Set the output to whichever device you want your PC's output to be shown on while using the PC.

What does this result in?

It is quite common to have issues when connecting a computer (Desktop or Laptop) via an AVR as the computer often does not see EDID it understands.

With the computer connected to the AVR you can try software such as Monitor Asset Manager (free download from EnTech TW) to read the EDID the computer is receiving, that way you can toggle the AVR Out settings and see what changes.

Where your Computer lacks any settings which allow you to override the external EDID HDFury offer three solutions to your problem - they effectively spoof the Computer using fixed, learnt or programmable EDID the and you can then force the video and audio Out of the Computer to best suit your system.

HDFury DR HDMI 8K - HDFury DR HDMI 8K - The Media Factory

HDFury DR HDMI 4K - HDFury Dr HDMI 4K - The Media Factory

HDFury DR HDMI - HDFury Dr HDMI - The Media Factory

Joe

The strange thing is that the PC shouldn't be reading the PJ or TV's EDID relative to audio. So why does it effect what the PC outputs if the PC is only technically seeing the AV receiver EDID relative to its audio capabilities? This should theoretically be the same irrespective of whether video is being passed through to the TV or the PJ??????

The Theory and the Actual can often be very different - especially when manufacturers try to ‘second guess’ what customers may do and apply a ‘fix’ to try and reduce support calls!

Reading the EDID with the AVR in/out of the signal path and with it In the signal path and toggling it’s Output will allow you to see what affect the AVR is having on EDID.

It is a pretty common problem - esp. in AV land where installers may mix Consumer and Pro gear.

Another common issue with a Computer to AVR connection is the Computer not seeing a constant EDID ping from a Display and going to sleep after a few minutes - the DR HDMI devices address that issue with a constant ping.

If you know what you are doing in the back end of a PC you can create and install your own EDID.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom