Yamaha RX-V777 "short messages"

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mark_a, Jul 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +741
    After having played with my new amp for a week or so I'd pretty much got to grips with everything, or so I thought, but one thing was puzzling me. When I'm watching a Blu-Ray or Netflix, or playing on my PS3 or plugged in laptop, I get a graphic overlay on the screen every time I raise or lower the volume. Yamaha calls these on-screen overlays, "Short Messages" that mimic what the amp's front display is saying. So far, so good and normal for most AV amps I've owned. However, when watching Sky HD uniquely there was no short message on screen to go with volume control. Going through all the menu settings I could not find any explanation for it and was beginning to think it was something to do with the Sky box, not the amp. But then another exhaustive page-by-page read of the manual (which sent me to sleep more than once) finally revealed what was going on.

Turns out that I had "Processing" switched on (which I think is the default) and of all my HDMI inputs the Sky HD box is the only one not talking to the amp in 1080p. It outputs 1080i instead and tucked away in a little subscript on page 105 of the manual is this little gem, "When "Video Mode" is set to "Processing" and the resolution is being converted, short messages are not displayed on the screen."

I confirmed this by switching off "Processing" (letting the TV and projector do it instead) and lo-and-behold the short message volume display came on for Sky HD too. Sadly this is a global setting so I can't set it just for the Sky HDMI port. However, having tried it on and off for all inputs I can honestly say I see no difference at all in the end result, other than giving me back the short message that I like - so it stays off. I guess it just means that Yamaha's, Samsung's and Epson's de-interlacing circuits are all on a par in terms of quality. Though in any case it's all kind of academic as I intend to fit a Lumagen to the system in the near future that will do all of that anyway, and hopefully better than all of them.

The only reason I can see why Yamaha would do this (I've not known it on previous amps from Sony and Onkyo) is to try and minimise video processing delays, but I think it would have been nice of them to offer the option to turn them on or off yourself, depending if you're say a gaming speed freak, or just want the comfort of the display at the cost of a few milliseconds. Is this standard behaviour, just turning things off, for AV amp manufacturers? Seems odd to me.

Regards

Mark

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,232
    The video processing capabilities of most AV receivers are no better than you'd expect from most TVs so it is usually suggested you not engage or use the video processing. There's really nothing to be gained by scaling content via the receiver as opposed to using the processing of a PJ or TV. All flat panel TVs have to deinterlace content anyway in order to be able to display it and they all scale the resolution to match their panel. Video processing via some AV receivers can actually cause issues with the quality of the video as opposed to enhancing it.