Yamaha RX-V773 component vid. input question

mv213

Standard Member
Hello, I am trying to get all my devices working with the Yamaha RX-V773. I have an old DVR that only has component and composite video outputs (no HDMI).

When I first hooked up the component outputs to the AV1 input on the Yamaha, I got no video through the HDMI output. Looking at the manual for the receiver, it says that video OTHER THAN 480i/576i must be output through the COMPONENT (not HDMI) output of the receiver.

So, if I set my old DVR to 480i, will the Yamaha output the video through the HDMI output? The manual does not explicitly say it will (or won't). I would not mind setting the output to 480i since this DVR is used only for standard definition recording.

I'm hoping somebody knows the answer because it is a royal pain to pull the reciever out and re-route cables. If it will work though, I'll do it.

Thanks so much for any help!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
By the sounds of it then it should work. But since you have it connected already try it as that will be the easiest way to answer the question.

cartman69

I'd be interested to hear how you find it as it's on my shortlist of new av receivers. Out of interest where did you buy it as i didn't think it was out until the end of the month :smashin:

mv213

Standard Member
By the sounds of it then it should work. But since you have it connected already try it as that will be the easiest way to answer the question.

Well, it's not connected anymore. I ran the component cables to the TV so my wife could use the old DVR. So I would have to go to the trouble of pulling the receiver out and re-routing the cables. It does sound like it will work so I might just kill a half-hour and do that.

mv213

Standard Member
I'd be interested to hear how you find it as it's on my shortlist of new av receivers. Out of interest where did you buy it as i didn't think it was out until the end of the month :smashin:

I bought it at "Video Only" in Salem, Oregon USA (where I live). Very good price ($649 USD). I just hooked it up yesterday and have not had a chance to try all the fancy new features yet, nor even fully configure it.

That said, I was pleased to see that the unit I got was made in Malaysia; I was expecting China. I think some of the modern features are going to be very nice. My old Marantz Sr-7000 receiver (built like a tank, in Japan) did not have HDMI switching and I was out of HDMI inputs on my TV, which kind of prompted my buying the new receiver. Also nice to see the adjustments on the screen, since the Marantz only had an S-video output so I could not see the on-screen display while watching TV.

I'll try to let you know more in the next few days as I get it configured and have a chance to play with it.

mv213

Standard Member
OK, here is the definitive answer. YES, if you change the component input to 480i it will output the video through HDMI. Otherwise you have to use the component output. This is not a problem for me, since my old DVR is for standard definition programming only. All my hi-def sources are HDMI.

I spent another hour or so and got all the features I'm going to use right now working and briefly tested. I have a "twonky" server on my network and was able to find and play music from that. Yeah-nice feature! Sounds pretty good, too since my MP3's are fairly high bitrate. Internet radio works OK too. The web control (remote control via web browser) is pretty limited but also works fine. I have not downloaded the Android app yet, I don't know what it can do.

One thing I don't like is the lack of a dedicated iPod dock. To control the iPod you are supposed to connect it to the front panel input with the iPod USB cable. I'm instead using a generic iPod dock hooked up to an analog input. By doing this I give up control of the iPod by the receiver but I like the looks a lot better, no cables hanging out the front.

Overall I think this is going to be a very good receiver. The dual selectable HDMI outputs might be handy for some folks. I was going to buy the RX-A820 but could not find one locally. The RX-V-773 was $200 USD cheaper and came with the Wi-Fi adapter, so it's really almost $300 cheaper. Cant see what I give up besides two HDMI inputs and a center foot. I'm thinking this is a better bargain than the RX-A820.

Last edited:

mv213

Standard Member

Well after using the receiver for several days I'm pretty pleased. Sound is very good, and the hookup flexibility appears to be excellent also. All of the speaker outputs take banana plugs (I understand this is not the case with the 673).

It was easy to set up a net radio (vtuner) account (free) and bookmark some favorites. Internet radio works really well. The only caveat is in the manual: This service may be discontinued at any time. Well, then your internet radio is toast, unless a firmware upgrade enables some other service. Too bad it isn't a little more flexible and allow multiple internet streaming services, like Pandora.

Playing my mp3's from my twonky server in the other room works great. It took me a little while to figure out how to create playlists but now I'm creating a bunch of them and easily playing music. No more messing with physical media. I ripped all my CD's at 224 kb/s and they work great, no glitches at all.

I have not used the built-in iPod control yet but I will give it a try and report back. I say if this receiver is in your price range, you would be hard pressed to beat it. As I said above, the unit I got was not made in China.

cartman69

thnx for the info, in the end i went for the a1010 after reading some very positive reviews about it. I have just received it today and haven't had the chance to hook it up. I'm sure we will both be very happy with our purchases :smashin:

mv213

Standard Member
thnx for the info, in the end i went for the a1010 after reading some very positive reviews about it. I have just received it today and haven't had the chance to hook it up. I'm sure we will both be very happy with our purchases :smashin:

Very nice and best of luck!:thumbsup:

Nightfish

Standard Member
Well after using the receiver for several days I'm pretty pleased. Sound is very good, and the hookup flexibility appears to be excellent also. All of the speaker outputs take banana plugs (I understand this is not the case with the 673).

Playing my mp3's from my twonky server in the other room works great. It took me a little while to figure out how to create playlists but now I'm creating a bunch of them and easily playing music. No more messing with physical media. I ripped all my CD's at 224 kb/s and they work great, no glitches at all.

How did you create the playlists?

I just bought a 773 and have not found any info on how to create playlists or favorite a track. I plan to move my music collection to a server as well and then listen through the 773. Having playlists will help a lot.

And how can I bookmark the internet radio stations?

Thanks in advance!

mv213

Standard Member
I use a free program called Playlist Creator 3.6 by Oddgravity. It's very simple. I saved the playlists in the root folder that contains the music then use the relative path option for the playlists.

To save your bookmarks you have to go to the vTuner site and log in with your reciever MAC address, setup a free account, and save them there (page 69 of the manual).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom