Yamaha RX-V771 AV AMP

Fallen30angel

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello All

I'm finally going to have to replace my Onkyo 606 amp with a dodgy HDMI game port, it's not done bad for 5 years really, bought from Richer Sounds in Chester in 2006, but its starting to get on my nerves now! I've been looking at the usual suspects in the guise of the onkyo 609, which a friend of mine has and he seems happy with it but I'm not sure about onkyos reliability any longer, the pioneer vsx921and the denon 1912, but have just started looking at the yamaha rx-v771 which is a bit more expensive but they seem to have a very good reputation? Anyone care to comment/advise? Are there any rx-v771 owners out there?

I'll probably gt it through richer sounds as they price match and get the 5 year cover which I should of got on my old onkyo 606, which apparently will cost a fortune to fix!

Speakers are KEF2005.3's with version 2 of cube sub, which I'm happy with for the money they cost me, I'm mainly using set up to watch movies listen to music and the occasional battlefield 3 bout of aggression on the PS3.

Look forward to your comments and advise.

Best regards

Fallenangel

Why the RXV771 and not the RXV671? The 671 is roughly the same price as the Onkyo you've looked at and only slightly more than the Denon.

There's also the Denon AVR2312 which is a higher spec model than the AVR1912, but only slightly more than the Onkyo TXNR609 or the Yamaha RXV671.

Yes, I've been looking at the denon 2312 this lunchtime, comparing it to the Yamaha, seem like a good AV. I did read a few bad reports on the avr1912 but not really read any reports or checked forums on the 2312. To be honest as much as i like the look and sound of the onkyo Ive lost confidence with onkyo, yamaha and denon seem to be coming out on top as possible candidates. I was putting the budget ceiling at £600.

Fallen30angel said:
Yes, I've been looking at the denon 2312 this lunchtime, comparing it to the Yamaha, seem like a good AV. I did read a few bad reports on the avr1912 but not really read any reports or checked forums on the 2312. To be honest as much as i like the look and sound of the onkyo Ive lost confidence with onkyo, yamaha and denon seem to be coming out on top as possible candidates. I was putting the budget ceiling at £600.

Denon and pioneer both have airplay if u have any apple gadgets...

Yes I do like the airplay feature for my apple kit, are u a denon owner?

The RX-V671 may be a disappointment for those wishing to use the Zone 2 feature. Yamaha AVRs only allow selection of analogue inputs for Zone 2, and the RX-V671 lacks the "party mode" feature that outputs the same source simultaneously to both zones.

With the recent price cuts at Peter Tyson, you could step up to the RX-A810 for only £50 over budget. (Annoyingly for me, it has dropped £200 since I bought mine just a few weeks ago!) It doesn't offer much in the way of extra features compared to the RX-V771, but it has higher build quality, and the aluminium front panel with the drop-down flap does look a lot nicer.

If you want AirPlay, I'd recommend getting an Apple TV, which has a vastly better user interface than any AVR, supports video as well as audio streaming, and more besides. In that case, you might not really need any networking capability in the AVR itself, so you could save yourself some money by stepping down to the RX-V571, or even the RX-V471 if you only need 5.1 output.

Jim Barry said:
The RX-V671 may be a disappointment for those wishing to use the Zone 2 feature. Yamaha AVRs only allow selection of analogue inputs for Zone 2, and the RX-V671 lacks the "party mode" feature that outputs the same source simultaneously to both zones.

With the recent price cuts at Peter Tyson, you could step up to the RX-A810 for only £50 over budget. (Annoyingly for me, it has dropped £200 since I bought mine just a few weeks ago!) It doesn't offer much in the way of extra features compared to the RX-V771, but it has higher build quality, and the aluminium front panel with the drop-down flap does look a lot nicer.

If you want AirPlay, I'd recommend getting an Apple TV, which has a vastly better user interface than any AVR, supports video as well as audio streaming, and more besides. In that case, you might not really need any networking capability in the AVR itself, so you could save yourself some money by stepping down to the RX-V571, or even the RX-V471 if you only need 5.1 output.

Thanks Jim, had a look on the Tyson website this morning but doesn't like they have any in stock at the moment, seems to be plenty out there though around the £649 mark. I'd not considered the Aventage range of amps from yamaha, is that your first from them or are you a previous yamaha amp owner? It does look a nice bit of kit, I'm thinking that the quality of output would be much higher than the vast majority of £400 price tag amps?

Jim

I've also found a Yamaha RXV1067 on the net around the £500 mark but I'm thinking this is old model and the amp you mentioned is in a higher class anyway?

Rich

I have a Yamaha RX-V470 Pro Logic AVR from way back. I'm still using it in a 2.1 setup and it sounds great. For my main HT setup I was using a Sony QS series amp for a long time and really liked it, but increasingly felt the need to get an AVR with HDMI inputs. I tried the "slimline" Pioneer VSX-S500 but found the sound quality to be very poor, with audible hiss and crappy sounding DSP. I exchanged it for the Yamaha RX-V671, which I was happy with soundwise, but after discovering the Zone 2 limitation decided to upgrade to the RX-A810.

All the Yamaha AVRs have Burr-Brown DACs and the same DSP, as far as I know. I think the difference is mainly how much power the amplifier can deliver. I can't say I noticed much of a difference in sound quality between the RX-V671 and RX-A810. Then again, I haven't done an A/B comparison, and I only had the RX-V671 for a short time.

You're correct in thinking that the RX-V1067 is an older model. I believe it is somewhat equivalent to the RX-A1010 so you'd be getting a lot of amp for the money - it really just depends whether you want the latest and greatest.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, had a look on the Tyson website this morning but doesn't like they have any in stock at the moment

Hmmm... just had a look and it seemed to be in stock. I was able to "add to basket" anyway...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom