1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V750 with Polk, MS, Mission?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by PeteBKK, Jul 21, 2004.

1. PeteBKK

PeteBKK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone.

Firstly, I'm new here so please play nice. I'm currently living in Thailand and we have far fewer AV choices than you lucky souls back in the UK.

For a receiver I'm looking at the Yamaha RX-V750 (~385 quid). Out of what is available to me and fitting with my budget <900 quid for receiver, speaker and cables, which speaker set would match best with the RXV750 out of these:

Polk: 2xR50 front, 2xR20 rear, CSi25 centre, PSW202 sub

Mission: 2xm73i front, 2xm71i rear, m7c1 centre, not sure on sub

Mordaunt short (not avant): 2x906 front, 2x902 rear, 905 centre and possibly 907 sub

Excluding subwoofer Polk and Mission come to ~355 quid. MS comes to ~330 quid. The website for the place I'm buying from is: http://www.piyanas.com. The menu is in Thai but if you put your mouse over each option the english translation is shown in the status bar. I'm open to other options in this price range.

Cheers in advance.
    Pete.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    MS kit does sit nicely with Yamaha.......

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I have a yamaha amp and a full set of Polk speakers and I have to say that I am over the moon with the sound that I get. The Fronts you mention are a step up from what I have I believe, whereas, the rears and centre and models below. I am currently using my system without a sub and, although I do miss it, the fronts do give out a lovely deep bass, not quite deep enough for my liking though ;)

I would have to recommend the Polks :smashin:

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Well you are getting an excellent deal on the older gear so any performance difference between that and Avant is nullified. Also look at trying to get a 309 instead of a 907 as it is a quantum leap in performance. I would be confident that we could outperform the Mission set by my experience of Polk stands a 0 so I have no idea about that.

5. PeteBKK

PeteBKK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow you people are fast!!! Thanks for the replies so far. The Polk and the MS were my first options as I find the Missions a little basic looking. The MS speakers are a bit cheaper than Polk so I can afford to spend a bit more on the sub. They have the 907, 909 and the 308 only. I could always go for another brand of sub. Do the other components match okay? Should I take an MS employee's word on this???!!! The Polks wood finish, however, fit my furniture the best. Important for the missus. Thai women are just as picky as English!! Do these Polk speakers match up?

Thanks again

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Other subs generally work fine with MJ acoustics, REL and Velodyne cropping up often on our product register.

Up to you :). I would like to think that I express more of a preferance than a screaming bias however.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm not an MS employee but can vouch that the MS309 and MS909 are stunning subs. Demonstrated to me by Tons himself :)

I havn't heard any of the other speakers you mention although I do own some older Mission models which I think are excellent. (701, 771e and 77C1).

8. PeteBKK

PeteBKK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, just checked the price of the MS909 and it's a bit off the budget. As for the other brands that Tons suggested, not available here. Not taking the subwoofers into concideration, are the other speakers well matched or are the fronts, centre or rears going to overpower the others?

I appreciate the honesty Tons :)

9. PeteBKK

PeteBKK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again.

Well, after auditioning the Polk and the Mordaunt Short I will be going for the Polk setup. It reproduced my rather loud taste in music more clearly. The classical CD that the guy in the shop played worked really well on the MS setup but that's not really my cup of tea. The Polk PSW202 and the MS907 subs really didn't cut it though, the MS being the better of the 2.

I will need to find a different sub to go with this setup. I know this question should be in the subwoofer forum section but I'd rather keep this thread going. So, out of the JBL PB10, the MS909 or the Yamaha SW315, what would be preferable? I listened to the JBL and it was rather good. The Yamaha is the cheaper (and therefore prefered) option but I'd like to get something worth while.

Cheers.
    Pete.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    JBL used to be well known in home cinema circles 10 years ago but their profile is now so low that it has almost disappeared. Yamaha sell a lot of subwoofers as they are neat and compact looking and some come with remote controls but Yamaha make everything from sewing machines to motor bikes and you know what they say about Jack of All Trades.

That leaves the MS909 which incidentally in UK costs twice as much as the Yamaha. I have heard it at an exhibition and liked it but you need to listen to it yourself with preferably something else to compare it with.

11. PeteBKK

PeteBKK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input. On my budget there are few options over here. Even the JBL and the MS are a bit pricey (~220 quid) but after listening to the Polk sub (~120 quid) I know that I'll have to spend a little extra. Importing a sub would be terribly expensive due to their weight. So I have the PB-10 or the MS909. The girlfriend (who lives with me) prefers the JBL because it matches the furniture and these things do have to be taken into concideration.

Cheers.

12. PeteBKK

PeteBKK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horray!! I found a supplier for Mordaunt Short here in Thailand and I'm going to go and checkout the MS309 at the weekend. It fits into the budget (using a lot of grease and a crowbar) at 185 quid. They have it in black so should dissappear nicely into the corner.

13. PeteBKK

PeteBKK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything arrived and I've set things up as well as any complete amateur can. The Polk Audio R50s, R20s and CSi25 with the MS309 all into a Yamaha RX-V750 with Monitor cables. I used the YPAO auto setup on the receiver and it has given a very nice configuration. The crossover for the sub auto set to 120Hz on the receiver so I manually brought that down to 100Hz. All speakers set to small and LFE set to both (Fronts and Sub). Everything is beautifully clear (to my amateur eyes) with enough low end bass to put a big smile on my ladies face. Going through our library of DVDs all over again to hear the difference (and what a difference there is!!). Anyway, cheers for the help I received and if anyone ever ends up in Bangkok I'd love to hear from you. Any audio experts (or pro amateurs) get a night out on the town if they can tweak my system for me!! :) I've been here 8 years so I know my way around fairly well ;)