YAMAHA RX-V6A

Shaunotto

Novice Member
I am new to AV and compatibility between products and so fourth so bare with me.

I have a problem and I would like some advice before I make a purchase decision. I have a 2020 Samsung QLED Q95T, Bose 700 soundbar and a ps5 + Xbox series X. The problem I have is that the TV has only one HDMI 2.1 Port and I need more ports to support the newest features of the next gen consoles and swapping the cables from the port is tiresome and not easily accessible. I have done a lot of research and there are no HDMI 2.1 switches on the market and I was looking to purchase the Yamaha RX-V6A basically as a glorified switch to handle all of my inputs and support 4K120/HDR/VRR/ALLS etc. I am aware of the HDMI 2.1 bug and that Yamaha will provide a fix later down the road and that's fine with me.

So is it possible to run the soundbar from the Yamaha as the receiver without any issues? And just use the receiver for my HDMI connections? The Yamaha does not have optical out so not sure if it will work. I'm assuming the receiver will have to be connected through the TV's HDMI 2.1 to pass through 2.1 features and soundbar through ARC? If you can provide advice on my issues and hopefully the Yamaha can be a solution? Any meaningful advice would be truly appreciated.

PS: I know its not conventional to buy a AV receiver with a soundbar but these are the products I have and I want to make the system work the best I can.

dante01

Distinguished Member
There's a prexisting owners thread on the board for this receiver here:

The XBox is unlikely to be able to pass its 4K/120Hz output through the Yamaha AV receiver due to the inherent flaws with the new HDMI version 2.1 chipsets that have been employed within the new receivers:

As to a fix, Yamaha cannot promise you one or gurantee that they can actually fix this issue.

As to your issue then only the XBox exhibits issues associated with conveying 4K/120Hz encoded video through the latest HDMI version 2.1 equipped AV receivers. The PS5 could be connected directly to these AV receiver and pasthrough 4K/120Hz without the same issues associated with the XBox series X.

It should also be noted that the new Yamaha AV receivers do not as yet actually include the new HDMI version 2.1 features and will not have these abilities until Yamaha issue a promised firmware revision that enables these features. Until this firmware update is released, the new models are not actually HDMI version 2.1 enabled.

I think the issue you are going to have are with the TV. I'm under the impression that the Samsung TVs use the same HDMI input for both ARC and HDMI version 2.1 sources? If this is the case then you are not going to be able to use ARC to convey the audio associated with any HDMI version 2.1 source connected to the TV out to an AV receiver. LG TVs don't have this issue because all 4 of their HDMI inputs are fully HDMI version 2.1 compliant.

Not only is it not conventional to use a soundbar with an AV receiver, it isn't actually possible. THey are 2 devices doing the same thing differently and cannot be integrated into the same setup. You either use one or the other and not both at the same time.

No, you cannot connect the soundbar to the AV receiver. You'd need to connect passive speakers to the AV receiver and not an active soundbar.

Last edited:

Shaunotto

Novice Member
The TV has an HDMI 2.1 Port, 2 HDMI 2.0b ports and the eARC port (4 in total) the 2.1 and eARC ports are separate so I thought it would be possible?

dante01

Distinguished Member
It the ports are not the one and the same then yes, it should be possible to connect the XBox to the HDMI version 2.1 port and then pass the associated audio through the TV and out to an ARC (preferably eARC) enabled AV receiver or soundbar using the ARC enabled input on the TV to the ARC enabled output on the AV receiver.

The issue would be that if then connecting the PS5 to the AV receiver then you'd not be able to convey the HDMI version 2.1 signal to the TV's HDMI version 2.1 compliant input because the AV receiver will need to be connected to the ARC enabled input.

The TV limits your options and whichever way you approacj it, you will need to disconnect and reconnect devices at some point in the proceeedings.

Last edited:

Shaunotto

Novice Member
It the ports are not the one and the same then yes, it should be possible to connect the XBox to the HDMI version 2.1 port and then pass the associated audio through the TV and out to an ARC (preferably eARC) enabled AV receiver or soundbar using the ARC enabled input on the TV to the ARC enabled output on the AV receiver.

The issue would be that if then connecting the PS5 to the AV receiver then you'd not be able to convey the HDMI version 2.1 signal to the TV's HDMI version 2.1 compliant input because the AV receiver will need to be connected to the ARC enabled input.

The TV limits your options and whichever way you approacj it, you will need to disconnect and reconnect devices at some point in the proceeedings.
Bugger. So no way or products that would make it possible to have both Xbox and PlayStation connected through 2.1 connections at once? Frustrating having a capable tv with only one port. Best bet would be to wait for a 2.1 switch to hopefully come out down the line sometime.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Not unless someone manufacturers an HDMI version 2.1 compliant HDMI switch and I cannot see this being something you'll see for considerable time to come.

The reason manufacturers are limiting the HDMI version 2.1 enabled inputs on their products is due to the higher costs associated with the repeater chipsets required to facilitate more than 1 input. A switch manufacturer would have these same cost concerns when it come to the manufacture of an HDMI version 2.1 compliant HDMI switch. There's also the fact that COVID has seriously effected the ability to manufacturer such component in large volumes. They are not off the shelf components and would need substantial orders to be made a viable purchase.

Last edited:

mandlebrot

Bugger. So no way or products that would make it possible to have both Xbox and PlayStation connected through 2.1 connections at once? Frustrating having a capable tv with only one port. Best bet would be to wait for a 2.1 switch to hopefully come out down the line sometime.
Or you wait like most people for the likes of Yamaha to enable the full HDMI 2.1 ports on the V6. In fairness they are saying that the only reason they haven't done this yet is that HDMI themselves have not yet ratified the standard for 2.1 so all manufacturers that have enabled or put the hardware in ready are really only do best guess from the info (that may change) that they have from HDMI.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Or you wait like most people for the likes of Yamaha to enable the full HDMI 2.1 ports on the V6. In fairness they are saying that the only reason they haven't done this yet is that HDMI themselves have not yet ratified the standard for 2.1 so all manufacturers that have enabled or put the hardware in ready are really only do best guess from the info (that may change) that they have from HDMI.

So why can't they enable what is known now and then revise the firmware to accomodate any differences at a later date? The excuse doesn't quite make sense.

mandlebrot

So why can't they enable what is known now and then revise the firmware to accomodate any differences at a later date? The excuse doesn't quite make sense.
They have taken the decision to wait until they get the full ratified standard before attempting to invoke it. I don't work for Yamaha and am only going off a press/review on Youtube where the Yamaha reps were saying this.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom