Yamaha RX-V6A doesn't seem to process Dolby Atmos

Martin Sheep

Novice Member
Reaction score

I have a LG TV (oled65g26la) connected to a Yamaha RX-V6A receiver. I just added two speakers to create a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system. Configured the speakers with YPAO and connected TV and receiver with an HDMI 2.1 cable (between HDMI eArc/Arc on TV and HDMI out eArc/Arc on receiver) . HDMI control is enabled on the receiver.
When I use the internal speakers from the TV, I get a Dolby Vision-Atmos logo in Netflix. When I use the HDMI Arc connecting to the Receiver I only have a Dolby Vision logo in Netflix. So it seems that the TV doesn't recognize Dolby Atmos from the receiver.

Did I miss something in the configuration?
Should I see an indication on the receiver when it is processing Dolby Atmos?

Bit confused here
Are you using a separate box to stream Netflix through receiver to tv?

I have a LG TV (oled65g26la) connected to a Yamaha RX-V6A receiver. I just added two speakers to create a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system. Configured the speakers with YPAO and connected TV and receiver with an HDMI 2.1 cable (between HDMI eArc/Arc on TV and HDMI out eArc/Arc on receiver) . HDMI control is enabled on the receiver.
When I use the internal speakers from the TV, I get a Dolby Vision-Atmos logo in Netflix. When I use the HDMI Arc connecting to the Receiver I only have a Dolby Vision logo in Netflix. So it seems that the TV doesn't recognize Dolby Atmos from the receiver.

Did I miss something in the configuration?
Should I see an indication on the receiver when it is processing Dolby Atmos?
If using the TV Netflix app and using TV internal speakers you see Dolby Atmos logo on it as TV is processing the audio
When using the RX-V6A via earc that is processing the audio sent from the TV and so TV doesn't show atmos logo.
The TV isn't getting atmos from the receiver, it is bitstreaming the raw data for the RX-V6A to process.

You should get an indication if the RX-V6A is playing back atmos. If you don't it may be due to a problem with
  1. TV audio setup for earc.
  2. AVR speaker configuration
  3. AVR audio settings.
If the RX-V6A has a web interface check what input it is receiving from the TV when that is bitstreaming atmos soundtrack. If you haven't already sorted this problem out I'd suggest you post photos of the settings for 1,2 and 3.

If using the TV Netflix app and using TV internal speakers you see Dolby Atmos logo on it as TV is processing the audio
When using the RX-V6A via earc that is processing the audio sent from the TV and so TV doesn't show atmos logo.
The TV isn't getting atmos from the receiver, it is bitstreaming the raw data for the RX-V6A to process.

You should get an indication if the RX-V6A is playing back atmos. If you don't it may be due to a problem with
  1. TV audio setup for earc.
  2. AVR speaker configuration
  3. AVR audio settings.
If the RX-V6A has a web interface check what input it is receiving from the TV when that is bitstreaming atmos soundtrack. If you haven't already sorted this problem out I'd suggest you post photos of the settings for 1,2 and 3.
Finally found it.
In the AVR settings there is an option "Virtual Surroundback speaker" and "Dolby Speaker Virtualization", after switching these off I'm getting Dolby Atmos on receiver display when DSP program is on "Surround Decoder".

I agree DSP Straight is the way to go when receiving multi-channel stuff from your TV. It works a treat on my RX-A860

I’m new to av receiver I’m not getting Atmos on Netflix beside everything else working showing Atmos please help me thank you

I have the same problem but I have 5.1. In the configuration, there is only 5.1.2 to choose and it does not deliver atmos although I am choosing a movie that supports atmos

Hi guys why use tv apps and rely earc ? Streaming sticks/boxes dont cost a lot these days.Everybody I know seems to have trouble using tv apps with there receiver/sound bar.:suicide:

I have the same problem but I have 5.1. In the configuration, there is only 5.1.2 to choose and it does not deliver atmos although I am choosing a movie that supports atmos
Set your unnamed TV to bitstream the raw multichannel data to the unnamed AVR over eARC, and set the AVR to process exactly the signal it receives using that eARC connection. This means not trying to tell the AVR what that signal is, but using its "Auto" / "Direct" setting (check the manual for your to find the relevant term used by your specific brand of AVR).

Finally found it.
In the AVR settings there is an option "Virtual Surroundback speaker" and "Dolby Speaker Virtualization", after switching these off I'm getting Dolby Atmos on receiver display when DSP program is on "Surround Decoder".
This was most of the solution I was looking for after a week of tearing my remaining hair out! So thanks very much. I found I also had Virtual Cinema Front set to On and when I turned it Off I could see from the Options/ Audio Signal info that I was, at last able to see that I was processing Atmos. I think the setup material is really poor and fails to cater for people who aren't techie already. "Do these things in this order to achieve this result" is what's needed.

I had to actually turn on either Dolby Speaker Virtualisatuon &/ VSBS on (VPS only on didnt work) to get Atmos/DD+ on RX-A6A screen using streaming apps set up with ARC/e-ARC with LG G3 set up with Digital Sound as Auto or Pass Through.

Whether sound was set to Straight, SurDecode, any DSP or AI on would only show DD+ or DD/DSur on AVR screen unless above 1 or 2 settings were turned on.

(Am using 5.1 speaker config)

I had to actually turn on either Dolby Speaker Virtualisatuon &/ VSBS on (VPS only on didnt work) to get Atmos/DD+ on RX-A6A screen using streaming apps set up with ARC/e-ARC with LG G3 set up with Digital Sound as Auto or Pass Through.

Whether sound was set to Straight, SurDecode, any DSP or AI on would only show DD+ or DD/DSur on AVR screen unless above 1 or 2 settings were turned on.

(Am using 5.1 speaker config)
It worked for me, thx

Same problem here, i can't get ATMOS only DD+, i had tried Netflix on TV app, Netflix on Google Chromecast with google TV, Netflix on my 4K cloud PVR, all of these are plugged in the HDMI of the RX-V6A.

My setup: 5.1.2 (Klipsch R820F front tower, Klipsch RP404C center, Klipsch R-40SA front Atmos speaker 2 Klipsch subs and 2 Dali Spektor 2 for surround, no back surround speakers.

I setup the AVR all the speakers do a YPAO, do a test tone all speaker working as expected.
When i choose a Netflix film i see in description 4K HDR ATMOS, i had tried many titles.

When i go in OPTION<AUDIO SIGNAL INFORMATION (CHANNEL IN 3/2/0.1)
When i go in OPTION<AUDIO SIGNAL INFORMATION (CHANNEL OUT 5.1.0)
DD+

Why i receive the source in 5.1? (The source is ATMOS in Netflix) my speaker config is 5.1.2

The display of the AVR say DD+
When i try different DSP i heard sound in the ATMOS speaker but not in the STRAIGHT mode.

All of the virtualization are set to OFF.

Any idea?

Thanks Daniel

Attachments

• Playing Netflix ATMOS title.jpg
    Playing Netflix ATMOS title.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Same problem here, i can't get ATMOS only DD+, i had tried Netflix on TV app, Netflix on Google Chromecast with google TV, Netflix on my 4K cloud PVR, all oh these are plugged in the HDMI of the RX-V6A.

My setup: 5.1.2 (Klipsch R820F front tower, Klipsch RP404C center, Klipsch R-40SA front Atmos speaker 2 Klipsch subs and 2 Dali Spektor 2 for surround, no back surround speakers.

I setup the AVR all the speakers do a YPAO, do a test tone all speaker working as expected.
When i choose a Netflix film i see in description 4K HDR ATMOS, i had tried many titles.

When i go in OPTION<AUDIO SIGNAL INFORMATION (CHANNEL IN 3/2/0.1)
When i go in OPTION<AUDIO SIGNAL INFORMATION (CHANNEL OUT 5.1.0)
DD+

Why i receive the source in 5.1? (The source is ATMOS in Netflix) my speaker config is 5.1.2

The display of the AVR say DD+
When i try different DSP i heard sound in the ATMOS speaker but not in the STRAIGHT mode.

All of the virtualization are set to OFF.

Any idea?

Thanks Daniel
Hi, you'll need to turn on either Dolby Speaker Virtualisatuon &/ VSBS.

Hi, you'll need to turn on either Dolby Speaker Virtualisatuon &/ VSBS.
I had tried without success, and the technical support said this two option are to create back virtual speaker by processing signal and to send content to surround speaker. They said this will not help me by enabled these.

When i try DSP Surround i heard content in my front presence but it's not ATMOS.

Thanks

Problem solved, someone on another discussion forum asked me if I had chosen the ATMOS audio track in Netflix and well I hadn't checked that setting, I feel like an idiot!

For 3 days I tried everything, changing HDMI cable, factory reset receiver and TV, doing YPAO... except checking audio track setting!!!!

“In the AVR settings there is an option "Virtual Surroundback speaker" and "Dolby Speaker Virtualization", after switching these off I'm getting Dolby Atmos on receiver display when DSP program is on "Surround Decoder".”
Had same problem getting Atmos. This above worked for me on the RX-A4A. Thanks!

PS To be clear, my issue was with an Apple TV. On Apple’s support site they say this:

*Some sound bars and AV receivers support Dolby Atmos, but don’t support video formats like HDR10 and Dolby Vision. In this case, you can plug your Apple TV 4K into either the sound bar or AV receiver to play sound in Dolby Atmos. Or you can plug your Apple TV 4K into your television to watch video in HDR and Dolby Vision. To do both, you need a television or an AV receiver or sound bar that supports both Dolby Atmos and high-quality video formats. Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dolby Atmos that doesn’t work over ARC connections.”

I am using ARC connection even though it says it doesn’t work.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom