Yamaha RX-V685

skynet2021

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am very new to this. I have a weird problem with my RX-V685. I bought this unit brand new from Australia in 2018 since it was not available in my country. I brought it home and fixed it to my cinema system with 7.2 speaker setup. It was working like a dream till 2019 September. Love the Dolby Atmos and DTS:X sounds coming out of this unit. On September 2019, I had to go to Philippines for my wedding. I unplugged everything and the unit from wall socket and went away. Nothing is plugged, even my cable setup box was disconnected. October I came back home. Plugged everything up, everything seems to work just fine. However, after two days, suddenly i saw the VFD display on the unit was doing funny things. The wordings was not clear, its like some weird computer codes coming up on the display. So I turned the unit off and unplugged. Waited for 2 minutes and plugged it back on. Red power light comes on as usual, i switched it on, red LED turned off and no VFD display anymore. I hear the relay clicking and the sound is coming. Everything works just fine but no display on the unit. Every part of the unit works 100% without the VFD. So until i take the unit for repairs, i was using it as it was. Then i noticed, sometimes the VFD comes on with the same weird ASCII language which makes no sense at all. Very rarely the correct display comes on as all the info is correct. However, it i turn off the unit and turn it back on, no display again. Even though there is no display, i can still see the VFD filament coils are on (if i look very closely) so i know the VFD is getting power. I took this to the Yamaha agents in my country, they were quite surprised as this was a brand new unit for them as they just got in the stocks. I do not have warranty since i purchased this from another country. They looked at it and told me the digital board has to be replaced and it would cost me around 150 USD. But, they said they don't have the parts and it would take around 2 months to get the parts ordered. I didn't want to wait that long without a av system in my cinema since movies are my life. Anyone has any idea what could be the problem? will it be simple enough to so could do the repair myself. I examined the digital PCB, i notice that there are so many surface mount caps. I know through my experience that those are just ticking time bombs and always a good idea to replace them. Has anyone had this issue with this unit? can someone give me some pointers if i can do this job (i have a fair knowledge of electronics). Please help. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
did you manage to fix this ? your avr died...after a year that is rare but can happen...

did you manage to fix this ? your avr died...alas plain and simple !
No, still have the issue. The AVR is not dead, it still works like a charm. All the functions, Dolby Atmos and DTS-X works really well, just the VFD has a mind of its own. One thing i've noticed, when I am watching Blu Rays, 60% of the time the VFD comes on and displays 80% of the correct information. the HDMI 1 or 2 doesn't display and the function mode where it shows HDMI1 or TV or Bluetooth, etc does not display. However, the Sound mode like Atmos or DTS and the volume with the speaker configuration does display correctly. This is so weird. I don't know what to do.

humm weird...not worth 150$ to repair...

Pay the $150 and order the parts. It is a loy cheaper than having to buy a new replacement AVR. I'd not engage in trying to repair the unit yourself. If the services centre indicates that the replacement board is required then that is what will be required. I doubt that you'd be able to source or attain one any quicker or that you'd then be experienced at replacing one?

Option 2. Go buy a new AV receiver.

By the way, the RXV685 isn't a new model and wad launched in 2018 sois in fact 3 years old. It has been superceded by the RXV6A.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom