Yamaha RX-V685: Speakers requirements

GabrielBer

Novice Member
Dear folks: I bought a Yamaha receiver RX-V685 with a pair of Niles OS 7.3 outdoor speakers. The speakers burnt out (may be they have less output power than the receiver???), and the seller is suggesting I "upgrade" to a pair of paradigm stylus 470 (with additional money). Does anybody know what should be the speakers requirements for the Yamaha receiver?
I found in the net that the Niles OS 7.3 has a
Impedance
8 (Ohms)​
Power Handling
100 (Watts)​
The paradigm specs requires:

SUITABLE AMPLIFIER POWER RANGE​
15 - 110 watts​
MAXIMUM INPUT POWER​
80 watts​

The Yamaha receiver has these specs:

Channels
7.2​
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven)
105 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)​
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)
90 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)​
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA)
150 W (8 ohms, 10% THD)​
Dynamic Power / Ch (Front L/R, 8/6/4/2 ohms)
125 / 165 / 190 / 235 W​

What should I request for outdoors speakers´ specs that should be able to handle the receiver output power?

Many thanks.

Gabriel

dante01

Distinguished Member
You should be able to use almost any speakers. The impedance would ideally be in the range 6 to 9ohm though and the power handling in the region ot or higher than 100 watts.

If you managed to blow your previous speakers then I'd suggest you were abusing them and pushing them too hard. You'd hear audiuble signs od this in advance of reaching a point where youy's potentially famage speakers.

GabrielBer

Novice Member
Many thanks for your prompt response:)
You should be able to use almost any speakers. The impedance would ideally be in the range 6 to 9ohm though and the power handling in the region ot or higher than 100 watts.

If you managed to blow your previous speakers then I'd suggest you were abusing them and pushing them too hard. You'd hear audiuble signs od this in advance of reaching a point where youy's potentially famage speakers.
Many thanks for your response:)

Many thanks for your prompt response:)

Many thanks for your response:)
I don't know your speakers, but they look tiny:
Amazon product
Probably quite easy to blow if using outside - much higher volume is needed for outdoor spaces, the larger the coverage needed the more volume input required of course.

I would be looking for some much larger, more robust speakers. Don't get too hung up on power inputs (passive speakers don't have a "power output" as such, that is provided by the amp), your AVR should comfortable drive most speakers, although the more speakers you hook up, the harder it has to work.

GabrielBer

Novice Member
I don't know your speakers, but they look tiny:
Amazon product
Probably quite easy to blow if using outside - much higher volume is needed for outdoor spaces, the larger the coverage needed the more volume input required of course.

I would be looking for some much larger, more robust speakers. Don't get too hung up on power inputs (passive speakers don't have a "power output" as such, that is provided by the amp), your AVR should comfortable drive most speakers, although the more speakers you hook up, the harder it has to work.
Thanks for your explanation and response. What basic specs should I request from the speakers to the dealer for this amplifier? Thanks again. Gabriel

GabrielBer

Novice Member
Ma

Many thanks for your response.

Thanks for your explanation and response. What basic specs should I request from the speakers to the dealer for this amplifier? Thanks again. Gabriel
I don't know a whole lot about outdoor speakers tbh, but the principle is the same as indoor speakers - they just need to be weather proof in addition. As I say, don't worry too much about numbers and specs, go for size and a quality brand. A lot will depend on your intended usage and budget of course.

I can't make a specific recommendation for you, but I'm going to break the habit of a lifetime and mention the "Bose" word. I'd never use them for indoor purposes, but they do tend to be built to last , so check out their outdoor options. I'm sure they won't be cheap though.

GabrielBer

Novice Member
I don't know a whole lot about outdoor speakers tbh, but the principle is the same as indoor speakers - they just need to be weather proof in addition. As I say, don't worry too much about numbers and specs, go for size and a quality brand. A lot will depend on your intended usage and budget of course.

I can't make a specific recommendation for you, but I'm going to break the habit of a lifetime and mention the "Bose" word. I'd never use them for indoor purposes, but they do tend to be built to last , so check out their outdoor options. I'm sure they won't be cheap though.
Great Thanks. I am afraid to buy again something not suitable for the receiver output power that could blow up the speakers again. Thanks again. Gabriel

Great Thanks. I am afraid to buy again something not suitable for the receiver output power that could blow up the speakers again. Thanks again. Gabriel
As a very rough rule of thumb, the larger the speaker, the less likely you are to blow it. The other thing with Bose is that they are often used in professional PA systems, so they know how to make robust speakers that can take a lot of potential abuse.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom