Yamaha RX-V685 Setup. Front Presence or Rear Surround

conover2008

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V685. It came with 5 polk audio speakers (not sure what model off top of my head). I have a Yamaha subwoofer. I am wanting to utilize more immersing experience from it. I have the option of adding 2 rear surround or 2 front presence to the system and unsure which route to go. Any guidance would be appreciated. Anyone have any preference on which they would add for their own system if they had to choose between the two options? Thanks

I have the 683 and have been using front height for a few years for atmos
Given the option, I would rather have them overhead, but front height seems to work well for me, having said that, never considered using rear height instead, what layout options does the amp give in the set up options

I have the 683 and have been using front height for a few years for atmos
Given the option, I would rather have them overhead, but front height seems to work well for me, having said that, never considered using rear height instead, what layout options does the amp give in the set up options
I actually talked with Yamaha support this morning and what they told me to get the most out of my setup would be to add both front presence up at the ceiling to get the atmos sound, and then also add 2 more shelf speakers at the rear. So it will be a 7.1.2 setup utilizing 7 speakers around the room (towers at front left and front right, front center speaker, and 4 bookshelf speakers at left, rear left, rear right and right), 1 subwoofer with option of adding a 2nd if I want, and then 2 height speakers at ceiling utilizing the front presence hookups. That said, they told me it won't use all 9 speakers at same time. Depending on the sound format of whatever I have on it will choose either the front presence or extra rear speakers to use. So for anything in dolby atmos audio format, it will utilize the front presence speakers. Anything that is not dolby atmos it will use the 2 additional rear speakers. Awesome that you can max out speaker outputs and it intelligently chooses which speakers to best use.

You won't be able to run the front heights and the 7 round the room at the same time
I am not even sure there would be n easy way to switch without going into the menus each time.
Wonder if its configurable in scenes

Owners thread here, someone may have tried it

You won't be able to run the front heights and the 7 round the room at the same time
I am not even sure there would be n easy way to switch without going into the menus each time.
Wonder if its configurable in scenes
Yeah thats what the Yamaha support told me. They explained that you can hook up all 9, but only 7 would be used at a time. They said that you don't have to change any configuration. If a movie or whatever is a dolby atmos it will use the front height speakers. If you are in a different format, it will use the rear.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom