Yamaha RX-V685 needs audio adjustments for better quality

pmtinney

The Yamaha RX-V685 is truly a feature rich receiver, however, after listening to audio DVD's and CD's, I cannot say that I am very impressed with it. I recently had a Denon -S750H and that receiver had a more superior sound to it. The Yamaha comes across as flat and it doesn't appear that any tweaks that I applied has helped in any way. Should I start over and factory default this unit? Any recommendations on the best settings for this receiver in a 5.1 surround mode?
I am using Klipsch speakers and they are the Synergy Bookshelf series with the Synergy sub woofer. I am considering selling it and returning to the Denon brand.

Thanks...

dante01

Distinguished Member
Many regard Yamaha's signature sound to be better than that associated with DEnon AV receivers when it comes to the portrayal of stereo music sources. I'd suggest your appeaisal is based upon yoir own preferences? How does it sound if you engage the PURE DIRECT mode?

Did you try setting the PEQ onboard the V685 to the FLAT option as opposed to the NATURAL option? This will result in a slightly livelier/brighter sounding setup.

If simply worried about the calibration then there's no need to reset the unit as a whole. Simply rerun the YPAO calibration.

I would suggest that you manually set any speakers the calibration set as LARGE to the SMALL option post calibration and then set the associated crossover filters on the AV receiver accordingly.

pmtinney

I have not tried the Pure Direct mode. I will certainly try that. I will also modify the PEQ Onboard to Flat over the Natural settings. Thanks so much for the suggestions.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom