• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Yamaha RX-V677 cannot get 5.1 surround sound

Bizhan

Novice Member
Hi

I have a set up as follows:

Yamaha RX-V677
Q Acoustics 5.1 speakers
Samsung 55HU7500 TV
Samsung Bluray player

There is one HDMI from the AVR out to the TV HMDI4 input, and the Bluray is connected to the AVR via HDMI.

Everything works fine except I don't seem to be getting true 5.1 surround sound. When playing a Bluray with 5.1 on Straight setting, the Yamaha displays it as only 2 channels in PCM. I have tried every setting I could think of but this doesn't change in Straight.
The only way to get the rear speakers to work is to use the decoder settings, which as I understand is not true 5.1

Am I missing something? Is there a simple fix to this?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest it to be something to do with how you've configured the player and its audio output settings? If getting 2ch PCM then this is what the player is outputting to the receiver.

Set the player's HDMI audio output to BITSTREAM, turn off any instance of SECONDARY AUDIO and do not engage any of the mixdown options. Sorry that I cannot be more specific, but I don't own a Samsung player so you may need to get help from someone who does if you still cannot configure it to output the formats as they are encoded on the discs you are playing. All players have these settings, but some manufacturers term them differently than others.

Also ensure that you've not configured the receiver to passthrough audio via HDMI. THe HDMI audio setting on the receiver should be set to the receiver and not TV or TV + the receiver. If you passthrough audio to the TV then the source sees your TV as the least capable destination and uses its audio capabilities to determine what it can output rather than using the AV receiver's capabilities.

Last edited:

Bizhan

Novice Member
Thank you for the replies. It was indeed the TV and Bluray output settings. Reconfiguring these has fixed this and I now get full 5.1 surround.

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom