Yamaha RX-V675 or Denon AVR-X2000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lwhitworth, Aug 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. lwhitworth

lwhitworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys,

Looking to pick up either a Yamaha RX-V675 or a Denon AVR-X2000 (definitely only one of these cause of a deal I'm getting on either of these) to go with my Monitor Audio R90HD10 speaker set. I know both of these get good reviews but have read the WhatHiFi review of the Yamaha and they rated it better than the Denon, but said it took fiddling to get it that way. The bloke in the store I'm getting this from suggested the Yamaha but I am still not sure. Can anyone offer an opinion one way or the other?

Cheers,

Luke

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Are you getting them for the same price?
    If so then on the features front the Denon would edge it over the Yamaha. But try to listen to both and then let your own ears decide which sounds best.

3. lwhitworth

lwhitworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep they're both exactly the same price :)

4. DiNZi

DiNZi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    What did you decide to go for in the end?

I can get the Yamaha RX-V575 or Denon AVR-X2000 for the same price, can't decide which to go for hmm.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    The Denon 2000 is a slightly higher amp than the Yamaha 575 so if the so if the same price the Denon is probably the one to go for.

6. DiNZi

DiNZi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I don't think there is much difference between the Yamaha 475 and 575 maybe the 575 has 7.1 but I won't be using that, I'll strictly be sticking with 5.1.

People still tell me that Yamaha 475 is the one to go for ahead of the Denon 2000 mainly because Yamaha's sounds are much better apparently and sound more 'bright', I've called a couple of stores and most have said Yamaha straight away.

I'm not too sure but I think I'm sticking with Yamaha.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,869
    The Denon is the same level of receiver as the RXV675. The RXV575 and the 475 are models placed beloww both the RXV675 and the AVRX2000. The AVRX1000 would be equivalent to the Yamaha RXV575.

You'll get differeing opinions as to which sounds the best and this will be purely a matter of opinion. Unly you can determine which of the receivers sounds best to you.

You'll be well catered for with either the Denon AVRX2000 or a Yamaha RXV575, but the AVRX2000 is a higher level AV receiver than the RXV575.

If you oonly want 5.1 as opposed to 7.1 then consider either the Denon AVRX1000 or the Yamaha RXV475. The Denon would be the better equiped of these two options.

If that concerned about the musical abilities then you need to increase you speaker budget and buy better speakers. It is the speakers that will yield you the greater improvements in terms of audio and not the slight variations you appear to by pondering over in relation to the receivers you are looking at. No speaker package you are considering will give you anything particularly notable in terms of their musical abilities. You'd need to be looking at full sized cabinets as opposed to diminutive satellite speakers in order to improve the overall audio of your setup. Any of the receivers you've so far considered will be okay, the weak link is your speakers and not the receiver.

Given your deficit in relation to the speakers then I'd not be so concerned about acquiring the most musical AV receiver at the price point you are looking at, I'd be looking at the receiver that gives me the most for my money and this will be the AVRX2000.

If you want the best sounding budget option then buy an RXV675 and better speakers than the Tannoy speakers you've chosen. Something like the Q Acoustics 2000i 5.1 package for example ot Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 package.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  8. DiNZi

DiNZi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I phoned up a couple of retailers that had both the Denon 2000 and Yamaha 475, here's what they thought about which was better briefly.

Peter Tysons: Highly rates the Denon says they've used the Tannoy and Denon combination before and it sounded good.

Audio Affair: Couldn't help me out.

Sevenoaks: I spoke to a helpful guy and he said it's really hard to tell between the RX-V475 and Denon AVR-X2000, says with music the Yamaha will be better and with Movies I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the Denon and Yamaha. I don't know if he was just telling me this because they are out of stock on the AVR-X2000.

Hi-Fi Confidential: I waited for about 5 minutes for this guy to compare specs between the Denon 2000 and Yamaha 475 and in the end he says the Yamaha has the edge over the Denon.

Local Bartletts Hi-Fi: I spoke to a rep and he said the Denon has the edge over the Yamaha only because of the small features such as AirPlay and the GUI is better than the one in the Yamaha.

Weybridge-Audio: A rep I spoke to says that they've got both of them and he says most of his colleagues are more confident with Yamaha and he prefers the sound of the Yamaha describes it as more 'bright' and would definitely go with that. Mentions that the Denon has many small features but for decoding and using it for what it's mainly used for sound quality ect.. go with the Yamaha.

Homeavdirect: I spoke to a sales rep and he says that between the Denon 2000 and RX-V475 with my Tannoy's he'd pick the 475 as he prefers the way you can use the Yamaha and the sound it produces is preferred to them.

Exceptional-AV: The sales rep looked at the Denon 2000, 475 and 575 specs and he personally said before that Yamaha is the best for him and after looking at the specs he said that I'm better off going with the 475 with my Tannoy speakers.

Richer Sounds: Recommends that Denon is mainly for Movies and Yamaha is quite versatile so I will get more detail and bass with the Yamaha in comparison to the Denon.

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,869
    and?

So do you think you'll ever actually get around to buying anything or are you waiting until everyone you ask replies with the same answer?

As I said, it will be up to you and your tastes and not what the bloke in the store likes. They are no different to you and working in a store doesn't give them better taste.

The best AV receiver for your budget is the AVRX2000. The nearest Yamaha receiver to the DEnon is the RXV675. The RXV675 probably is a better option in terms of audio, but will cost you another £50. The best deal is on the AVRX2000.

If only requiring a 5.1 setup then consider either the RXV475 or the Denon AVRX1000. The DEnon would be the better equiped of these two receivers.

10. DiNZi

DiNZi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'd just like to get it right the first time lol! But, you make a good point, also the X1000 isn't available to me as it's not being sold at RS but if I 'do' get the X2000 and only use it as 5.1 will I be losing out on power to the Speakers ect..?

Also, does more wattage of the AV mean louder? So the Tannoy's say recommended is 15-100 watts and the Yamaha is 80 watts the Denon is 95 watts, does this mean the Denon will make the Tannoy's play louder? Is 15 watts quite significant?

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,869
    No, you'd simply not be using the back amplification. The receiver will still give you the same performance in respects to the power going to the other speakers. You could effectively utilise the unused amps to power a second stereo zone with? You'd connect another pair of stereo speakers to the receiver and place them in another room and you'd be able to listen to either the same source or a entirely different one to that being played in the main room. It should be said that this will not work with HDMI or S/PDIF inputs though and such sources cannot be output to the second zone.

Wattage is no measure of audio volume, but more an indication the ability to drive speakers harder. The volume would depend upon the size of the room and the sensitivity of the speakers being driven. More power usually results in a receiver having more headroom so less distortion in relation to higher volumes. The wattage difference at this level are irrelevant and will make little if any difference in terms of comparable performance.

The receiver will all adequately power the Tannoy speakers and attain reference levels within a small to moderate listening space.

12. DiNZi

DiNZi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Last night, I took a good look at the Richer Sounds website and put together some AVs/Speakers with the prices I can get them at from RS.

1. Yamaha RX-V375 AV + Tannoy TFX 5.1 Speakers = £280
    2. Yamaha RX-V475 AV + Tannoy TFX 5.1 Speakers = £308
    3. Yamaha RX-V375 AV + Wharfedale DX1 HCP Speakers = £315
    4. Yamaha RX-V375 AV + Tannoy HTS 101 Speakers = £350
    5. Denon AVR-X2000 AV + Tannoy TFX 5.1 Speakers = £343

None of them really go above my £350 budget, but a few of them have the RX-V375 which will only output 70W per channel in comparison to the RX-V475's 85W. I'm not a huge fan of Wharfedale most of there Speakers are 4 ohms, the Tannoy HTS 101 are probably better suited to most AVs.