Yamaha RX-V675 Firmware update error

Gfritz

Novice Member
Reaction score
Your Assistance needed. I tried updating firmware (using ethernet) on a Yamaha RX-V675 and after about 5 minutes got a message saying "SYSTEM ERROR". I do not have a clue what to do next. Any suggestions?

Hi, I'm also getting the DEVICE ERROR. I've tried both techniques and end up with the same error. I remember having problems updating the previous firmware but it eventually worked through USB stick. Any ideas ? Should I try resetting is to factory ?

Hey guys, I just successfully updated the firmware through USB but this time I tried a small USB stick card reader in which I put an 8GB SD card. Good luck !

Warning: updating to the latest firmware caused problems with my 675, most notablly no sound for the first 10 mins of unit being on, then intermittent sound with popping and crackling...i am not a happy camper. I would like to download the original firmware that came w my system! I need to fix this, what a shame.

How did you do the update?
Over the network (ethernet or via a WiFi adaptor) or USB?

Having this problem with my RX-V677.

Got a message saying that there is an update, performed a network update and got SYSTEM ERROR. Retried several times all with the same result.

Then did a download onto a USB stick and that worked.

BUT ..... The version availble for download is old, so within a few days I now have the message saying that an update is available.

I haven't tried it yet but I expect that it would fail based on my previous experience and what you are saying here.

I bought it on recommendation that it is a great amplifier - and I am sure that from an ability to process signals and drive speakers I have no reason to doubt that, though I expect it is overkill for my needs. But from a user interface point of view I find it poor compared with the Denons that I own. It is not just this firmware error it is just the setup is more obscure and data presented in an odd way.

I'm struggling with an ARC issue at the moment and I'm finding it difficult to determine whether I am doing something wrong or simply that the ARC implementation is rubbish.

With hindsight I wish I had bought another Denon. Looking back I must seem mad, I have two Denons, have had no problems with them, am very happy with them, so why on earth did I buy this piece of junk?

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
ARC is junk... I'm not sure why people even recommend it.
The chances that both the TV and HT companies have the same take on the open standard seem to be almost non-existant.
Re: having issues with updates... I'm never going to recommend that anyone tries WiFi or ethernet updates when a perfectly good update is available online via the Yamaha US website. USB stick updates (on a blank USB) are the only way to go in my book, no matter the brand, no matter how good the users WiFi.

Setup on the new Denon's is certainly simple, but then again, it misses many of the tweaks possible on the likes of a Yamaha or a Pioneer. It's almost as if D&M Holdings had the most complicated receivers in the past, then went too far with the new versions.

ARC is junk... I'm not sure why people even recommend it.
The chances that both the TV and HT companies have the same take on the open standard seem to be almost non-existant.
Re: having issues with updates... I'm never going to recommend that anyone tries WiFi or ethernet updates when a perfectly good update is available online via the Yamaha US website. USB stick updates (on a blank USB) are the only way to go in my book, no matter the brand, no matter how good the users WiFi.

Setup on the new Denon's is certainly simple, but then again, it misses many of the tweaks possible on the likes of a Yamaha or a Pioneer. It's almost as if D&M Holdings had the most complicated receivers in the past, then went too far with the new versions.

Beginning to agree with you on ARC. I am going to have to rethink my configuration - easy enough technically but going to be a pain in reality because my TV is wall-mounted with all the wiring hidden and the AV bench unit fixed to the wall.

As for downloads. I agree with USB being better but from what I can see the latest updates are not available for download. And also my network is wired and the download part of the the uprade worked fine, no interruption, it was the installation part that failed.

Just checked both the UK and the US download site for my V677. They both offer version 1.50 which is what I have installed. But my AVR is now insisting that an update is available for network download. I have no idea what the latest version is, Yamaha seems to keep that to themselves, for all I know 1.50 could be a number of versions old.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
How do I find out what the latest available firmware for my AVR is?

And where can I download that from?

I don't beleive the answer is the Yamaha Download site because for my AVR (V677) that is saying v1.50 and my AVR is insisting that there is a newer one to download.

Most over companies tell you what version you have installed, what version you are downloading and update their websites to allow you to download them if you what to do a media-based update. They often provide release notes explaining what issues or new features the update is addressing.

But not, it seems, Yamaha. It seems that you need to be a member of some Yahama inner-sanctum to have access to the sort of information that other manufacturers freely make available.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest version of firmware is 1.70 that is what i have on mine.And it worked fine over network update.

The latest version of firmware is 1.70 that is what i have on mine.And it worked fine over network update.

Thanks, just to be clear, is that for the V677 that I have, or the V675?

Is there any way to download this for a USB install?

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks,

So anyone know how I find out the latest firmware for the V677?

Cheers,

Nigel

Latest firmware update for V677 is v1.77 and is only available via network download.

JonUK

Latest firmware update for V677 is v1.77 and is only available via network download.

JonUK

Thanks, you have confirmed that the only USB loadable firmware is old.

Will try a network update again.

This time I'm going to try it from the front panel (like you do with USB) rather than from the on screen GUI.

Off to try it now. Will report back what happens.

Cheers,

Nigel

UPDATE

Just tried it again.

Downloads, then verifies, then "DEVICE ERROR'.

PILE OF JUNK - had enough of it - going back to Richers Sounds.

I would recommend anyone buy a Yamaha AVR. Google and this problem is frequent and well documented. Apparently it is down to faulty ROM devices that were used.

A measure of good customer service is not the lack of problems but how the company responds when a problem occurs. It seems that Yamaha have known about this for years and done bugger all to mitigate it - they don't even acknowledge the problem and on their Facebook site fob off an affected customer saying it is down to his poor internet connection. For example they could make the updates available so customers could try a USB load - probably won't make a difference but at least it would be a sign that Yamaha were trying to help.

That is a demonstration of poor customer service which is why I would not recommend anyone buy a Yamaha AVR.

Cheers,

Nigel

UPDATE

Just tried it again.

I would recommend anyone buy a Yamaha AVR. Google and this problem is frequent and well documented. Apparently it is down to faulty E2PROM devices that were used.

Sorry to hear your AVR has bricked itself, my 1st one did exactly the same.

As the unit is "discontinued", I suspect that there will be no separate downloads issued for USB installation except via the network port.

JonUK

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your AVR has bricked itself, my 1st one did exactly the same.

As the unit is "discontinued", I suspect that there will be no separate downloads issued for USB installation except via the network port.

JonUK

It hasn't bricked itself. Because it downloaded, verified and then failed as soon as it soon as it tried to start the update. So it still has an intact v1.50 firmware. Still going back to Richer Sounds though - it is only 6 months old so I'm going to push for a refund or replacement.

Cheers,

Nigel

UPDATE

Just tried it again.

I would recommend anyone buy a Yamaha AVR. Google and this problem is frequent and well documented. Apparently it is down to faulty ROM devices that were used.

A measure of good customer service is not the lack of problems but how the company responds when a problem occurs. It seems that Yamaha have known about this for years and done bugger all to mitigate it - they don't even acknowledge the problem and on their Facebook site fob off an affected customer saying it is down to his poor internet connection. For example they could make the updates available so customers could try a USB load - probably won't make a difference but at least it would be a sign that Yamaha were trying to help.

That is a demonstration of poor customer service which is why I would not recommend anyone buy a Yamaha AVR.

Cheers,

Nigel

The download is here.
RX-V677 - Yamaha Downloads United States
I just Google'd 'Yamaha update'.
So it is clearly 'made available'.

If you download over WiFi and the signal strength is poor / network connectivity drops out mid-update, then it's entirely possible to damage a machine.
Basically your RXV677 isn't bricked, it just needs a full reset and to have the firmware re-flashed, it's not hard.

The download is here.

If you download over WiFi and the signal strength is poor / network connectivity drops out mid-update, then it's entirely possible to damage a machine.
Basically your RXV677 isn't bricked, it just needs a full reset and to have the firmware re-flashed, it's not hard.

That's still v1.50 He's after v1.77
v1.50 is also available on the UK website but not 1.77

Also will the streaming sites available be the same, and pointing to the same server.

He has a faulty firmware chip.

JonUK

Last edited:
The download is here.

Nope, no cigar for you I'm afraid.

The only download they have is v1.50 a long way behind the latest ledge version which is v1.77.

So not only do Yamaha ship shoddy products and refuse to acknowledge the problem that many of its customers are reporting but they are also too feffing lazy to keep their downloads support page updated. Hence why I feel they are a crappy company - no commitment to support their products.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nope, no cigar for you I'm afraid.

The only download they have is v1.50 a long way behind the latest ledge version which is v1.77.

So not only do Yamaha ship shoddy products and refuse to acknowledge the problem that many of its customers are reporting but they are also too feffing lazy to keep their downloads support page updated. Hence why I feel they are a crappy company - no commitment to support their products.

Cheers,

Nigel

What was shoddy when they shipped it to you?
Have you contacted Yamaha? Surely it's under warranty?
If you don't bother to get in touch with them, how can you say they're shoddy?
I know you'll be emotional because things haven't gone well for you... but shoddy / crappy?

What was shoddy when they shipped it to you?
Have you contacted Yamaha? Surely it's under warranty?
If you don't bother to get in touch with them, how can you say they're shoddy?
I know you'll be emotional because things haven't gone well for you... but shoddy / crappy?

Yes I have contacted Yamaha - over 15 days ago, no response.

Given the amount of information on the internet about a batch of dodgy ROMs, yes I suspect it was faulty when they shipped it to me.

I refer to Yamaha as poor, not because of the dodgy ROMs after all errors happen, it is the fact that they don't appear to acknowledge it or try to help.

A simple thing they could do to allow customers to try all possibilities is to keep the support site upto date with downloads. It isn't difficult, other manufacturers manage it.

I saw one response to a customer on their facebook site suggesting that it was his internet was at fault and he should try the USB load method. Firstly, if they had read his query they would have seen that the network update passed the download and verify stafes, just failed to write to the ROM. Secondly, suggesting the USB liad method would be fine if they actually made the updattes available for USB load.

We are not talking about a device that has been discontinued for 10 years, we are talking about last years model which is still under their warranty - they can't just give up support because there is a new model out.

So it is not the product specifically that I'm calling shoddy, it is the whole package.

Get a good one and never need to contact support they are probably fantastic. But as soon as ou have a problem it all goes to rats.

It is now back with Richer Sounds and I have to put up with upto 4 weeks without home theatre.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom