Yamaha RX-V673 vs Onkyo TX-SR705

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Braehole, Mar 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Braehole

Braehole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will I be able to tell a difference between the Yamaha RX-V673 if I up grade from the Onkyo TX-SR705? The Onkyo puts out 100W and the Yamaha only does 90W per speaker. I like all the extra HDMI ports,up scaling and Air play but I'm worried about the 10W lower per speaker. Any input would really help me hit the buy button! Thanks

I'm ruuning MonoPrice speakers, 3 front 7604 6-1/2 Inches Dual Woofer- Micro Flange In-Wall Speakers and 4 7605 6-1/2 Inches Dual Woofer- Micro Flange In-Ceiling Speakers.

2. Braehole

Braehole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The V673 says 7.2-Channel Powerful Surround Sound with 105W per Channel but Output Wattage: 90 Watts. I don't get it...

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    The 673 if anything is a slight downgrade from your current receiver in terms of sound quality. So you may get more bells and whistles but may be disappointed where it counts. Also the yamaha has a different sound to your current onkyo which you may like or may not. Hence i would recommend going for a demo to see if you are happy with the sound it produces. On the power front I would compare the sizes of the power supplies in each as more of an idea of the real world power outputs of each instead of inflated per channel figures.

4. Braehole

Braehole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So for 600 bucks with air play and up scaling, which receiver should I get? I can go a little higher in price.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Are you talking about upscaling or upconversion? If it is upscaling then I would not worry since your tv or source will upscale as well anyway.
    Are you in the UK? If so you could look to see if you could get a Yamaha 810 or 1010 as there are some still around. Or you could look at the onkyo 818.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,954
    If located within the USA then I'd suggest the Denon AVR3313. The Onkyo TXNR818 is another option, but one which would be nearly $200 over budget. The RXA810 and the 1010 don't appear to have been discounted in the USA as heavily as they are here in the UK? Again, the RXA810 would be over your proposed budget by nearly $200. Also note that the older Adventage models lack Airplay.

Receivers closer to your budget would be the Yamaha RXV773, Denon AVR2313 or the Onkyo TXNR717.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013