Yamaha RX-V673 or RXA810?

adds58

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace a dead Yamaha RX-V2600 and I've seen the RV-V673 and RXA810. I realise the A810 is last years model but they're coming in at around the same price (£479 and £499 respectively).

I don't need the zone 2 video anymore and just need the ability to have 7.1. I'm powering 3 x B&W M1's at the front, with 4 x B&W CCM665's with a B&W ASW600.

Any thoughts on which would be best?

Considering they are basically the same price you should get the 810 as it is a higher level receiver so should give better sound quality.

From the new yamaha rx-vX73 line the model "equivalent" to the RX-A810 is the 773 not the 673....mainly for two reasons:
- both 810 and 773 have multichannel pré-outs and the 673 don't...
- Both 810 and 773 have two hdmi out's and the 673 don't....

The 773 (and the 673) have more recent whistles like....4K stuff
On the other and the Avantage lione have the "fifth foot" :D

The reason those are on the same price is because the x73 is the newest RX-V line and the released the new Avantage RV-A720, 820, 1020....

My vote:
yamaha rx-v673 - 0
yamaha rx-a810 - 2

I've just seen that I can pick up the 673 for £339 at the moment which makes it very appealing for me right now!

Taking that into account I'm not sure the extra bits are worth £160 more?

I've just seen that I can pick up the 673 for £339 at the moment which makes it very appealing for me right now!

That's a good price and a good choice......assuming that you don't need the second HDMI and the pré-outs, because if you need (in the future to use a projector and to add extra amplification) those 160 are worth paying (and don't forget the extra 5 watts :D of power per channel of the A810)

Remember that the 810 is not "4K compatible"....what ever that means. Neither the current blu-ray player's and TV (these are compatible but not sure we'll spot the "4K factor").

All brands released a new line of AV Receivers....mostly justified by this feature....and they disguised by lowering some features to the models immediately above.

Markting rullez.

good luck

Last edited:
adds58 said:

Hi,

Would you mind sharing where you have found the 673 for £339 please? I'm looking at buying that amp too but can't find it near that price.

Thanks

So it's just arrived. Looks very impressive, though I won't get to try it for about a month as the room is still being converted.
Must say I'm very impressed with the service from Audio Express so far and I love the set up guide.

I received mine on Monday and have it all plugged in. It sounds a lot better than my old amp, so maybe it did me a favour by dieing!

Now I just have to find some time to redo some of my wiring and figure out the optimal way to set it all up!

Very impressed with Audio Express as well.

Looks like they changed it slightly. They were doing this as a limited deal as the 671 was going out of circulation.

It might be worth going to Yamaha RX-V671 7.1 receiver - from Audio Express which will then tell you its out of stock but to email in your interest. I would guess that would then offer you the 673 as an alternative at the same price (although it does appear to have gone up to £349). Worth a shot as you can always decline when they email if they indeed offer you the 671.

I might need to have a chat with them as I believe I need the 773 for the twin Hdmi outputs.

Edit. Called and they don't yet stock the 773. Sounds like what I need though, so I'll be watching this space.

Last edited:
From the new yamaha rx-vX73 line the model "equivalent" to the RX-A810 is the 773 not the 673....mainly for two reasons:
- both 810 and 773 have multichannel pré-outs and the 673 don't...
- Both 810 and 773 have two hdmi out's and the 673 don't....

Even the RXV773 would not be comparable to the RXA810. The Adventage replacement model for the RXA810 due in the next couple of months will be the equivalent current model of the RXA810 ;)

The RXV773 is closer to the RXA810 than the RXV673 though.

If simply a matter of which you should buy in terms of value for money then the current answer is the RXA810, but then again you can get an RXV673 for just £350 if you do not mind being limited to the titanium finish:

Yamaha RX-V673 7.2 network receiver

The RXA810 is a superior amp though and placed at least two steps up from where the the RXV673 is situated.

Last edited:
I purchased the V773 a couple of weeks back. It's fully installed and in use now.

Hi Jarroda,

Don't really wanna hijack this thread but did you purchase the V773 black or Titanium ? I have had my V773 on order for a few weeks now and still waiting so wanted to know if my outlet is taking the mick.

Regards
Vid

Even the RXV773 would not be comparable to the RXA810. The Adventage replacement model for the RXA810 due in the next couple of months will be the equivalent current model of the RXA810 ;)

The RXV773 is closer to the RXA810 than the RXV673 though.

If simply a matter of which you should buy in terms of value for money then the current answer is the RXA810, but then again you can get an RXV673 for just £350 if you do not mind being limited to the titanium finish:

Yamaha RX-V673 7.2 network receiver

The RXA810 is a superior amp though and placed at least two steps up from where the the RXV673 is situated.

creative are getting the 673 in black at the end of this month sir. I think i am going to opt for the 1010 + q accoustics 7000 as i see the 1010 superior to the 673 and even 773 for around £120 more than the 673+Q7000 price . Would i be correct?

TIA

S

creative are getting the 673 in black at the end of this month sir. I think i am going to opt for the 1010 + q accoustics 7000 as i see the 1010 superior to the 673 and even 773 for around £120 more than the 673+Q7000 price . Would i be correct?

TIA

S

I think there's some confusion over the difference between the RXV and Adventage RXA amps? Any of the RXA Adventage amps will be superior to the RXV amps. The Adventage range is a higher end product than the RXV models. The new RXVx73 models only replace the old RXVx71 models and the Adventage models have yet to be replaced this year. The RXA1010 is the amp above the aforementioned RXA810 so yes, it would be superior to both the RXA810 and the RXV773.

Last edited:
Thanks, i am gonna pull the trigger on the 1010 + q accoustics 7000 (has to be a lifestyle speaker). Looking fwd to the upgrade from my onkyo htx 22hd . Nothing wrong with that but i just got the bug all over again lool

Hi Jarroda,

Don't really wanna hijack this thread but did you purchase the V773 black or Titanium ? I have had my V773 on order for a few weeks now and still waiting so wanted to know if my outlet is taking the mick.

Regards
Vid

Hi, sorry for taking a few days to reply, haven't been online much over the bank holiday weekend.

I purchased the Black version of the V773. It was in stock with a supplier I'd just used for my AV Cabinet and with me 18 hours after placing the order. I was told it was the last one they had though (3 weeks ago so they could have more now)...

The V773 has many advantages for me over the 810 / 1010. Size and Airplay are the big two. Airplay is a superb feature that you don't need to be Einstein to set-up and use. Even the other half uses it.

If you have a big (open) AV cabinet / stand... And a very big room... And big speakers... Then 1010 would I'm sure provide a better sound, especially at high volumes. The 1010 is certainly superb value and a lovely looking / sounding Amp.

I've replaced a Sony ES amp with the V773 and I can really only tell the difference in smoothness / delivery / power at extremely high volumes that you'd hardly ever use.

It should be pointed out that Airplay is only of use if using iTunes to serve audio to an AV amp. Airplay is reliant on iTunes and doesn't function without it running in the background on a connected Mac or IOS device. You can quite happily serve audio files over a DLNA/uPnP network to a network enabled AV amp without Airplay.

It should be pointed out that Airplay is only of use if using iTunes to serve audio to an AV amp. Airplay is reliant on iTunes and doesn't function without it running in the background on a connected Mac or IOS device. You can quite happily serve audio files over a DLNA/uPnP network to a network enabled AV amp without Airplay.

Removing the tech talk...

With airplay... On your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch you just press one button and the media you are playing pipes directly to the Amp. The Amp even turns itself on and switches to Airplay automatically.

You press this one button directly from the Music / video playback app. There's no need to go to another screen or look in menu options.

You control the music playing directly from your iPhone / iPad. You can even control the volume of the Amp from your app too.

You do not need to use the amp to do anything, or look in menu's in the amp or turn the TV on to see the Amp menu's. Nor do you need to have a PC turned on either. Everything is controlled from your iPhone / iPad. And there is no need to install any Apps from Yamaha to use AirPlay. It could not be any simpler.

You can also use the same functionality from iTunes on your PC / MAC too.

For me, having this feature in my new Amp was a must, but obviously it will be less relevant if your don't own an iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch.

All the new 2012 Yamaha amps incorporate this, including the new 820 and 1020.

There's an excellent demo of Airplay in action on Yamaha's website. Hopefully this link to it works.

Last edited:
Removing the tech talk...

With airplay... On your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch you just press one button and the media you are playing pipes directly to the Amp. The Amp even turns itself on and switches to Airplay automatically.

You press this one button directly from the Music / video playback app. There's no need to go to another screen or look in menu options.

You control the music playing directly from your iPhone / iPad. You can even control the volume of the Amp from your app too.

You do not need to use the amp to do anything, or look in menu's in the amp or turn the TV on to see the Amp menu's. Nor do you need to have a PC turned on either. Everything is controlled from your iPhone / iPad. And there is no need to install any Apps from Yamaha to use AirPlay. It could not be any simpler.

You can also use the same functionality from iTunes on your PC / MAC too.

For me, having this feature in my new Amp was a must, but obviously it will be less relevant if your don't own an iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch.

All the new 2012 Yamaha amps incorporate this, including the new 820 and 1020.

There's an excellent demo of Airplay in action on Yamaha's website. Hopefully this link to it works.

Not without running iTunes on said Mac or PC you can't. Airplay is utterly reliant on iTunes. You also suggest it works if you've audio stored on a PC without having to power up the PC? This is categorically incorrect and you must have iTunes up and running on that PC or Mac to utilise Airplay!

If you don't use iTunes to organise your audio files then Airplay is totally useless to you.

Last edited:
Not without running iTunes on said Mac or PC you can't. Airplay is utterly reliant on iTunes. You also suggest it works if you've audio stored on a PC without having to power up the PC? This is categorically incorrect and you must have iTunes up and running on that PC or Mac to utilise Airplay!

If you don't use iTunes to organise your audio files then Airplay is totally useless to you.

AirPlay itself is not totally reliant on iTunes.

You could happily use a subscription service like 'Spotify' or 'Rdio', and numerous other apps for audio. It is reliant on owning an Apple iDevice or computer to get a use from it though.

But for me (and more so the girlfriend), the ability to be able to easily stream audio content from an iDevice to the AVR at the press off a button was a major plus point for the RX-V673.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom