Yamaha RX-V671 + Marantz CD5004. How would you connect?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by buddy13, Feb 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comrades! Another bit of entry level Hi-Fi has joined my ranks today :clap:...in the form of the Marantz CD5004 CD player :D. I have not connected it up yet but first impressions about quality are very very good. I like the fit, finish and weight.

My setup so far consists of:

- Yamaha RX-V671 A/V Receiver
    - Wharfedale Diamonds 10.6 fronts
    - Wharfedale Diamonds 10.DFS rears
    - Wharfedale Diamonds 10.CS center

I plan to listen to Music CD's in pure direct mode (stereo). Now the Marantz player has got 1 analog (phonos) and 2 digital outputs (Co-ax & Optical). What would be the best way to connect it to my A/V receiver? I tend to favour natural (slightly warm) over harsh sound...

The Wharfedale fronts are bi-amped connected using high quality silver wires.

Also do you think this CD player is a good match for the quality of my system? Thanks for any help :smashin:!

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,968
    I'd suggest you use the analogue output from the player to the receiver. Much of the player's reputation is based upon its signature sound and this sound is derrived to some extent from the DACs it utilises. The player's DAC is only used in conjunction with the player's analogue output.

There's also the added advantage of being able to output analogue sources from the amp to a second zone if you are utilising the receiver's second zone capabilities. This would be applicable to you right now because you are using the back amplification to bi-amp with rather than using to power a second stereo zone.

I'd ultimately try both the analogue and the digital connections just to make sure, and I'd select the one you feel sounds the best to you.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks fro most helpful reply as usual Dante :smashin:!

That is what I have concluded from my research :D..I will try Analog output using a good cable and we'll see from there...

A few more questions regarding the player if I may...

- Can it be modified with better electronics (capacitors, resistors etc..) in the future if I so wish?
    - Would using an external high quality DAC benefit the player in the future?

Thanks for any advice ;)!

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,968
    You can in theory modify CD players, but I'd reserve the money you'd spend on such modifications and spend it on a better player, maybe a universal disc transport as opposed to a dedicated CD player? REmember that no matter how accomplished the player, it will sound no better than the sum total capabilities of your setup so I think it nonsensical to spend too much on the CD player if the rest of the setup also needs better components to make the most of such a player. The differences between players costing a few hundred and a few thousand are marginal and maybe not even noticeable unless you've the amp and speakers to be able to take advantage of those nuances.