Yamaha RX V667 or Yamaha A-S500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DJJez, Nov 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DJJez

DJJez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Hi
    im looking to buy either a RX V667 receiver or the yamaha A-S500 amp.
    i have a pair of wharfedale 10.6 speakers and a pair of B&W 602 S3's.

i listen to music mostly and the music quality is very important to me but i would like a system that can hold more than just 2 pairs of speakers so thats why im leaning towards the yamaha 667 receiever.

Could anyone who please who has some experience please tell me if its worth choosing the 667 receiver over the A-S500 stereo amp. the price difference is £50 between the two. Both have excellent reviews but i want to know is it really worth forking out on a 7.1 receiver and buying all the other speakers to go with it. will the sound quality be better than just the yamaha stereo A-S500 amp with 2 pairs of speakers???

Im sure there are alot of answers to this question and many have asked before but im really really confused about what to do after days of searching the net :lease: any help is much appreciated.

Jez

2. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    For stereo music from an AV amp to compare with a stereo amp, you need to spend at least four times the price of a stereo amp on an AV amp.

It will depend on your quality requirments as to wheather an AV amp will be acceptable to you.

I have the Yamaha 1900, the current version of which is the Yamaha 2067, and I'm very happy with the music rerproduction. I think the best way is to demo and see if an AV amp of the level of the 667 works for you for music.

There is no reason why you can't have a stereo amp and AV amp and share the front speakers between them by using the AV amps pre-outs or a speaker switch.

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    The stereo amp is going to be significantly better than the 667 for stereo sources like music. However, for movies with 5.1 soundtracks then the 667 with all the speakers will then come into its own. So really the choice depends on the main use of the system and which side you are happy to compromise on. As Dicklodge says you can have both an AVR and stereo amp in the same system but this will cost more so will depend on how tight your budget is.