Yamaha RX-V667 Default HDMI Surround?

LarryB

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am still entrenched in analog 5.1 and I pulled out my older RX-V667 (HDMI 1.4) because it has DTS Master Audio (for the bluray surround) and Dolby Digital Plus (for Netflix). My old HTR-5990 (HDMI 1.1) was very linear and logical but I am finding the V667 to be a little querky. It appears that HDMI input plays in 5.1 by default no matter what the source (I can't tell which DSP)... even if I am playing an LPCM 96/24 2.0 program (per the bluray info display) or some old TV show on DISH. The manual infers that to get 2.0, I have to manually set the Program to 2ch Stereo each time. Is there no way for it to play the native spec of the source material by default?? Also, if I do set it to 2.0 Stereo, am I getting a true 2.0 from the HDMI input or is it then some kind of convoluted fold down process?

In the manual, I also noticed that it has something called SUR-DEC for music processing which included the usual suspects like various ProLogic and DTS Neo options but I only ever see ProLogic offered on Program and see no way to scroll through to the others. Even if I choose a bona fide music input like CD or Tuner, it still only allows for the ProLogic option (along with DSP, 2ch and 7ch). Any insight on that, too?

Thanks for any input! (I hope this does not turn out to be obvious and inane)

Last edited:
I have done a lot of reading and I guess it IS just a querky receiver. With input from a BD player from a 2.0 source , you WILL get surround unless you take action each time using the Straight button. I see when SUR-DEC is engaged, you can scroll options using the SUR-DEC button on the remote. I see that the Input settings show MODE: Surround Decoder, but do not allow for a choice of OFF or STRAIGHT as default. Seems like a progrqamming oversight that maybe a firmware update could have solved (back in the day).

Press and engaged the STRAIGHT mode. THis will result in any additional upmixing processing being bypassed and negated and you getting the formatted audio the receiver is receiving without any such processing being applied.

The STRAIGHT mode has a specific button associated with it. Press this to engage or disengage the STRAIGHT mode.

Press and engaged the STRAIGHT mode. THis will result in any additional upmixing processing being bypassed and negated and you getting the formatted audio the receiver is receiving without any such processing being applied.

The STRAIGHT mode has a specific button associated with it. Press this to engage or disengage the STRAIGHT mode.
Right. But no way to make it default in any input mode. Even a "remember setting from last use" option would have been nice. Thanks for your reply!!!

About the SCENE buttons... The manual talks about modifying those buttons' attributes and I was able to turn off the Enhancer, but not the Mode: Surround Decoder (just like above). These buttons seem to be just an amalgam of settings from elsewhere in the software. True?

On a final sidenote, my Sony BD player has a setting for Downmix (Surround or Stereo). Would you know what that does? I set it to Stereo with the idea that adding surround to an output signal should not be a default action (as my preference).

Thanks again.

Simply leave it set o the STRAIGHT mode and that source will remain set to STRAIGHT the next time you select that source.

Each source will also be independant of one another in regards to the mode you set it to.

If you deselect the STRAIGHT mode then the receiver will return that source to the SUR. DECODER or DSP Program you had it set to prior to engaging the STRAIGHT mode.

If you want a source to retain the STRAIGHT mode setting them simply leave it set to STRAIGHT.

If wanting to configure the SCENES differently then simply setup the AV receiver as you'd like the SCENEto be set and then press and hold the associated SCENE button you'd like that configuration to be stored to until the AV receiver's display indicates that the SCENE has been saved.

THere are additional options that are not engaged by default in association with the SCENE configurations. You can engage these via the main SCENE settings in the configurations.

A DOWNMIX option on a player would result in multichannel audio being DOWNMIX and output as 2 channel STEREO. You'd be advised not to downmix anything and to bistream everything to the AV receiver. You don;rt want or need the player to either upmis, convert or downmix anything you are outputting to the AV receiver.

Last edited:
Great hint at holding the Scene button down to save the settings. Like an FM Preset! I will try that out and report back. I don't think that hint is in the manual.

The player's DOWNMIX setting has no Off choice, only Surround or Stereo.

I do wish the remote had an Input button that would scroll through the inputs instead of having to press the specific button (I don't remember which AV# does what).

Thanks, Larry

Last edited:
Leave the downmix option set to SURROUND.

Changed the DOWNMIX setting back to SURROUND. I also modified all the SCENE buttons to my wishes. Thanks so much for that!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom