Yamaha RX-V650 vs Yamaha DSP-AX750SE

L

ladypickers

Sorry to sound like an idiot but what are the differences bewteen Yamaha RX-V650 receiver vs Yamaha DSP-AX750SE amplifier. To be honest I am not sure what the difference is between amp and reciever. Sorry

Simplistically, a receiver is an amp with a tuner included

That's not the only difference - this has been covered quite a lot in the past.

As I recall, the main difference is that the 750 sounds better musically and has been tuned for UK hifi. Several people have upgraded from the 650 to the 750 - might be worth getting in contact if you can find their threads (try a search for "yamaha 750 difference")

Ymaha 650 seems to be rated higher though (145w 7.1), and I do need a tuner

looked at Yamahas website they dont list the RXV750 receiver only the RXV650 but the do list the DSP-AX750SE amp. Anyone know why its not listed. From what I can gather from the spec the 650 is better than the 750 so why is supposedly the 750 an upgrade from the 650

because there's no RXV750 in the UK ,there's only DSP-AX750SE,the RXV750 will be found in the rest of the world,
the 750 is better than the 650 by 5w per channel & video up conversion & learning remote.
i had the 650 myself & i send Yamaha E-mail asking them about the DSP-AX750SE & if it's produces better sound than the 650 & they told me that allthe Yamaha line are sonicaly identical they only defers by the features & power output but they have the same sound charactaristics so in my opinion i don't think there will be diff in sound quality between the 650 & 750.

At one stage I had both the RXV-650 and DSP-AX750 simultaneously, and after a blind-test, I concluded that the DSP produced a more refined, powerful, transparent, natural and detailed sound with most types of music. The results on digital multichannel AV mode were inconclusive, but on balance, I think the DSP just edged it. However, the differences in analogue stereo were more marked and clearly audible than in digital multichannel mode where the differences were quite subtle.

reservoir51

Mango Bob said:
, the main difference is that the 750 sounds better musically and has been tuned for UK hifi.
Ehat does 'UK hifi' mean? If I get one from Germany, is that tuned for 'German hifi'? What's the difference?

Sorry, missed out the word "ears" - supposedly the UK likes a different sound to mainland europe and Yamaha changed summat in the design of the DSP against the RXV.

ladypickers - if you need a tuner, buy the rxv750 from Germany and save a pile of cash (there's a huuuuuuge thread about this if you look with many happy UK punters). If stereo music isn't important, save a little cash and buy the 650 - also from germany!

You'll be happy with either - they're both great amps. Just note that the "auto" settings aren't perfect, I still had to play with my 750 for ages to get it sounding "right".

Mango Bob said:
You'll be happy with either - they're both great amps. Just note that the "auto" settings aren't perfect, I still had to play with my 750 for ages to get it sounding "right".

Hi Mango Bob,

I have just set-up my 750 at the weekend, and have to agree with the above quote about the auto set-up. I am using it with a set of Genies, and although it sounds amazing with movies, I am not convinced with music - I am getting a vibrating noise from my front speakers with dance music when the volume is at -17db!! I really thought I would have been able to play it louder, but I am scared of the bass damaging the speakers.

Do you have any tips for setting it up correctly as I am really disappointed at the moment, and am paranoid about turning it up any louder.

Also, how important is "running in"?

Ian

IanMcc said:
I am getting a vibrating noise from my front speakers with dance music when the volume is at -17db!!

Christ, I think my house would fall down at that volume! :eek:

Try this thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168185

Make sure the Front, Left and Right dB settings when you press the Level button on the front of the amp aren't set to -ve values.

Also check the crossover isn't too low as the Genies may be getting more bass than they're supposed to. Check they're set to Small and crossover is above the min freq the Genies can reproduce (80Hz? not sure so check that!).

p.s. Running is is pretty important if the Genie's have metal tweeters like my Avants do - they got much more mellow over the first few weeks.

What amp mode are you listening in as well? Is the source CD or Sky/Telewest etc? I've got Avant 906s and listen in Pure Direct for clarity, dance etc I listen to in Straight, music videos I listen to in Neo6:Music.

Hi Mango Bob,

Christ, I think my house would fall down at that volume!

Am I doing something wrong? -17db is loud, but not that loud. I would be very disappointed if that was as loud as I can go. You seem to be suggesting that -17db is ridiculously loud? What level would you normally listen at?

Make sure the Front, Left and Right dB settings when you press the Level button on the front of the amp aren't set to -ve values.

:confused:

Also check the crossover isn't too low as the Genies may be getting more bass than they're supposed to. Check they're set to Small and crossover is above the min freq the Genies can reproduce (80Hz? not sure so check that!).

The auto set-up set them to small and the crossover to 160Hz, which I would consider too high. I would have thought that the crossover should be able to go down to 80Hz, but I am now worried that this would make the problem even worse.

What amp mode are you listening in as well? Is the source CD or Sky/Telewest etc? I've got Avant 906s and listen in Pure Direct for clarity, dance etc I listen to in Straight, music videos I listen to in Neo6:Music.

The source is CD and I listen in "Straight". Pure Direct is no good because it doesn't feed to the subwoofer.

I really think I am missing something, as you are suggesting -17db is too high, and I actually consider it loud but not that loud.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Ian

I have to agree with Bob there : -17dB for dance music is very loud for average-sized listening rooms, unless you're in an exceptionally large room. I normally listen at -20dB for jazz and classical music, and -26dB for rock or pop.

reservoir51

I have found the level button you mentioned, and my fronts are both set to +1.5 and the sub is set to -2 in straight mode. Therefore, none of my settings including the crossover setting seem that unusual. I have now taken one of my speakers back to the store and they think I have blown it!!

I am now of the opinion that satellite speakers are not up to playing loud music, although on another thread I have been led to believe that the Yamaha 750 amp may actually be the culprit.

Ian

The 750 takes a bit of setting up but sounds great - it sounds like you need full-size speakers. When I was touring the shops none of the satellites gave me enough midrange for my music to sound "big" enough...Canton CD1s and Genies were 'best' but not even close to full-size speakers.

I've got Avant 906s and they're great with music - 914s were good but I much preferred the 906 sound, it handled more complicated music better (2 mid-drivers help I think).

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom