1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V650 vs. DSP-AX750SE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by littletreasure, May 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. littletreasure

littletreasure
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am currently trying to decide between the above two receiver/amplifiers to go with the Canton 2.22 speaker set. After some searching on this forum I found the following comparison courtesy of reservoir51.

"These are the features that the 750 has over the 650 :

1) Front aluminium fascia
    2) Phono stage
    3) Learning remote
    4) Slightly more power (100W x 7 vs 95W x 7)
    5) Component video upconversion from composite or S-video
    6) Engineered and modified to meet the demands of British audiophile ears (hence, more musical especially in stereo)"

I have a few questions regarding this.

Can someone explain what number 2) means.
    Will the power difference of 5W per channel be obvious with the Canton speakers?
    My tv doesn't have component in so does this mean that number 5) is of no use to me?
    Has anyone compared the two amplifier/receivers in stereo and can confirm that number 6) is true?

Sorry for all the questions, I am considering the buying the 650 as it has a radio tuner, but I didn't know if the above differences were worth paying an extra £90 (and losing the tuner) for.

Thanks in advance.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    a phono stage allows you to connect a turntable to the amp. not sure about power, i doubt it would make much difference.

3. littletreasure

littletreasure
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply. That means numbers 1) to 3) are not important to me.

If anyone can answer my remaining questions, I would be grateful. Especially the ones relating to numbers 4) and 5).

Cheers.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The power difference could also be felt if the power supply for the 750 is bigger (and therefore more powerful) than the 650. Look at the weights to see if the 750 is heavier.

If your tv only has scart, svhs and composite then the upconversion will make no difference to you. I disagree that the learning remote is no use unless you have a all in one remote already. It saved me a small fortune not having to buy one.

If you dont use a radio much then the 750 is a good choise. Alternativly you could get an external digital radio and use that.

Hope this helps :smashin:

5. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 650 has a remote into which you can input codes, which is an alternative. I've been lazy and have only tried to configure it for my dvd player... it doesn't work properly, but I could not be arsed to actually change it... so I'm still using my five remotes for everything... pretty lame, I know :(

6. littletreasure

littletreasure
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I assume you mean physical weight, in which case, they both weigh the same.
    I agree that a learning remote is useful, it is just not a high priority for me. Although, I must admit that juggling five remote controls is a bit of a pain!
    I would have liked a radio tuner, but I don't really listen to the radio much so I suppose I could live without it. I do have a cheapo radio that would do for the odd occasion I wanted to listen to it.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully, I'll come to a decision soon!

7. DAMOON

DAMOON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would not notice the power difference unless driving inefficient speakers, which dictates volume far more than ultimate power.