1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V650 undesired delays.650 vs. Sony 795 and Denon 1905?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by univox, Jan 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. univox

univox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought on 25.12.2004 a piece of your Yamaha RX-V650 receiver , convinced, that this is one of the best products of this class. Unfortunately, I found a very unpleasant effect, using analogue inputs. It could be easily observed, if you connect a TV set to any analogue input and listen to the program, better speech, simultaneously from the TV's and receiver's speakers at even volumes and STRAIGHT mode.There a sensible ambiance effect could be heard, due to delay of maybe 5-10 mS (enough to be noticeable), entered by the receiver. I think that there is the ADC section to blame,because it has has not been observed using digital inputs or, of coarse, in PURE DIRECT mode. If you listen to ordinary audio sources, other than TV or ones with their own speakers , this effect is hard to be discovered, but I use the device as a monitor amplifier during the home studio guitar recordings. By the reason, that playing guitar, I exactly know when the string is hit and the sound starts, which is not that way when you listen to CD or other audio source, the sound comes noticeably later from the speakers. It makes the use of the unit for this important to me purpouse impossible.On other hand, everyody knows what STRAIGHT means and there must no delays or any noticeable changes be observed normally.The things get worst when I try to play or record along the rhythm or other track,because I must add to my right hand movements some delay to compensate this one, entered by the receiver to synchronize the tempo between new and old track.Please,try to do it yourself:)
    I wanted to check if the problem is not personal and persists with other pieces of this model before I write you. I made the TV test with two more my friend's receivers RX-V650 and the result was the same. It makes me think, that there some constructive deffect(maybe software) persists, and probably with the 550 and 750 series too,if the input section is the same.
    I had a SONY STR-DB790 with no any problems with delays, but sold it to buy Yamaha. Now I'm in three minds what to do-to keep the Yamaha, if they could fix the problem,or to replace it with Sony STR-DB795 or Denon 1905.It's very important for me the unit to play well in stereo.The speakers I'm intended to use are HECO Concer 15.Waiting for advices.

2. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed a delay (20-60 ms), even when audio delay was at 0. But i don't think there is any delay, or its much less, in "pure direct" mode (blue button)!? I thought all digital multichannel receivers "took some time" (had a delay-problem) when they process analogue (or even digital) signals. But my old pro-logic (only) receiver had no noticeable delay, and maybe Yamaha is worse than others.

The reason why i bought Yamaha was the option to actually make a deliberate delay (0-160 ms) because i have a digital TV with approx 60 ms delayed picture. But i don't actually need the feature after all. I've set it to 20 ms, and even that seems too much. Very nice receiver, but the original remote had a fault in the Denon DVD-code so I have a 750-remote without the fault in the preset code.

3. univox

univox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, all the analogue-to-digital and digital-to-analogue conversions take some time, but I didn't expect as sensible delay, because my previous SONY STR-DB790 hadn't any.But...the amp plays ,I think, better than SONY in stereo and has less buzz and crosstalks.And what speakers do you use.I just bought a pair of Tannoy Sensys DC2.I was affraid,when I listened them in the store, that there will be not enough bass, but at home with the Yamaha the bass even exceeds.The speakers have perfect upper range,2 and 3D stage and I'd only preffered bass to be more tight.I'll try some tricks to improve it.