1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V650, Sony STR-DB795 or Denon 1905 for stereo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by univox, Jan 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. univox

univox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please,share impressions, what receiver from the list: Yamaha RX-V650, Sony STR-DB795 and Denon 1905 is the best for listening mainly to stereo. And what speakers to choose. I had Sony DB790, but it was more noisy, than I concider as acceptable, had a crosstalks between analogue inputs too. Now I have Yamaha 650,it plays well, but performs with some delay, in STRAIGHT mode,which makes this amp unusable for my guitar recording works.If they could fix this problem, I'm ready to keep the Yam. I don't know much about Denon and I need more information. For the speakers I have in mind HECO Concert 15. What you'd say?

2. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only heard the 1905 on a demo at my local super-fi (Does anyone else keep wanting to call it super fly?) and i heard it with Movies (chiefly big actioners cos thats what i watch the most) and i listened to my cd or Rob Dougans Furious Angels through it and was impressed with both. To be honest for the price it was really powerful and didn't over reach itself clarity and warmth with movies, stereo was perhaps not to the standard of a lot of budget amplifiers these days. But easily as good as them a few years ago. So i recommend the Denon. However i have only heard it in a "demo" enviroment with some very nice acoustic energy EVO 3's.

Good luck mate!

3. univox

univox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the reccomendation. But have you any impresions from other two receivers,can you say an opinion?

4. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just bought the rxv 650 on Saturday with a couple of gale gold monitors, which I intend to use as rears. Note that for the moment I have no other speakers. Tried it with a few things, movies, games and music (CD and MP3 through a pioneer DV 565A). At the beginning it was slightly disappointing, souding a bit flat. But after leaving it running for a few hours and two days later, it sounds much better. Still I must say that sound is better from movies and games than from music, BUT, I have tried it with very different types of music, and realised that it might be the speakers that are a bit weak when it comes to brutal music. Classical (conclusion of madame butterfly) and pop/rock (last cardigans album) are great, very detailed. But Death metal (dew-scented or the last Behemoth) sound a bit fuzzy, and lack proper bass and midrange. Compared to my previous set (marantz PM 4200 + eltax liberty 5+ and the same dvd player) it's not as good. Nevertheless, the speaker from my previous set are twice as expensive and are floorstanders. The amp is twice the price of my previous amp, which sums it up. I expect to get new floostanders in about two weeks, and that should be much better (perhaps mission M34 if my misses agrees). Another user posted last week that he had to get a sub to enhance his set, but I don't know what speakers he had.

5. univox

univox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking over Mission m34i too for the yam 650, but have not tested. They won the sympathy award in the test of www.stereo.ru in this class.I'm only have some doubts about the bass.So,please,write,if your mission (I mean m34;-))succeed.

6. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hehe, I will : )

But for now, let me just tell you that it keeps improving in terms of sound. Also, I did not notice that delay you were mentioning. I tried straight mode with a PS2 game (puzzle bubble), where sounds are very accurate, and they seemed accurate to me. The same seemed to be the case when playing Gran turismo 4... I used analogue connections (DTV/cable port).

7. univox

univox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To feel this delay (arr.10 mS) you must have possibility to listen simultaneously to the sound from the source(it must have own speakers, or to be connected to separate amp) and from the receiver's speakers at appr. even volumes .It feels like weak echoe,adds ambiance.The second , more secure way is to play sound from the controlled source as a keyboard or, as I did, electric guitar trough preamp or PC soundcard. Sorry, I don't know what exactly your PC games generate sounds and only clearify the test conditions. I sincerely wish you not to find this delay.It would mean, that the problem is limited in only this batch and could be fixed too. Meanwhile, as some other guys wrote too, as longer I listen to the 650, as more I like it.