1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DLP-FAN, Mar 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DLP-FAN

DLP-FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to buy either a Yamaha RX-V650 or a 450 Receiver, but not sure what sort of speaker package I need to buy with it. Do I need to buy a speaker with a subwoofer included or do I just need to buy a set of speaker e.g. set of five that includes a centre speaker. If I need to buy with the subwoofer included, do I need a Active sub or a Passive sub.

What I need is a good quality sound from my TV as well as watching movies from my DVD player. I am not an expert in this area so will appreciate some help from you experts.

Thanks in advance.

2. ehayde

ehayde
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hi m8
    can u give us a little more detail?
    How much is your budget approx, what size is your listening area / room. do you also require this system to be a good music playback or purely movies and tv.

3. DLP-FAN

DLP-FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ehayde,

Well I will not like to spend more than £200 on the speakers, but I may be prepared to pay slightly more than that if I am getting better quality. My living room size is 11" by 10", just a standard room.

For the moment I would like a good surround sound purely for watching movies and TV but would later be connecting my music system (but this is not important as I am not in listening music). As I have mentioned that I am intending to go for the Yamaha Receiver (budget around £290), is there another better receiver you suggest that will give me a better sound quality. I will be connecting this to my new Sagem HD-45 TV.

Thanks again

4. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 650 is seen as a good receiver, it's very clear, if you are into really warm music this isn't your receiver, rather take the denon 1905 then. For movies this receiver totally rocks though :)

About the subwoofer, it has to be active what i read so far. For speakers, the canton cd-1 set would be a really good set for the yamaha, they are a warm sounding speaker set which would go really well with the yamaha sound.

5. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    As far as the receiver is concerned you should get on well with the 650. Like Llanowar said the Denon has a different sound for about the same price, perhaps you should take a listen to both.
    Sorry I can't help with the speakers, don't have much experience within that budget, though there are some good speakers to be had for not a lot of money. Might be worth putting a post in the speakers forum to see if you get more feedback there.

6. DLP-FAN

DLP-FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful information. Llanowar, you have mentioned the Canton cd-1 set speakers, I did a quick search for them on the internet but could not find them. Could you please tell me where can I buy them from and how much do they cost roughly.

Thanks

7. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

Check out the website at http://www.canton.de and check out the amazing prices at http://www.tenspot.de

If you're worried about ordering from Germany - don't be. Check out this thread for feedback from happy Canton owners

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154348

Cheers

Ray :)

8. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the 650 & i use the Wharfedale Diamond 8 series speakers they are flat & not bright speakers so they done a great job with the Yammy.

i use Diamond 8.4 as fronts
    Diamond 8c center
    Diamond 8.3 rears.