1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V650 makes very low level dialogs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SergioRZ, Jun 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all! :hiya:

I have this setup:

- Yamaha RX-V650 receiver.
    - Pioneer DV-575A DVD player.
    - Two pairs of Wharfedale 9.5 floor standing speakers (front and surround)
    - One Wharfedale 9.CS center speaker (placed directly below the TV).
    - One Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer.
    - Chord Carnival Silver Plus cables on all channels.
    - Supra Trico digital coaxial cable connecting DVD to receiver.

My problem is the dialogs sound very low during movie playback, in either Dolby or DTS. With many movies I have to level the sound at around -20db so that I can clearly listen to dialogs on more silent parts of movies. Well, actually some movies I need to level the receiver at -15db :eek:

This is a problem because on the loud parts the sound is just too loud. Very very loud if there are explosions or gun shots. I have to keep adjusting the level during movie playback...

I already set the center channel speaker level to +7db (the fronts are at +1.5db) and this has helped a bit, but still it seems like the sound from the center channel is much weaker than the sound from the front speakers.

I read somewhere that this is a problem related to the receiver power output, or something like that, and not so much a problem of the speakers.

Should I just get another receiver?

I'm testing the Presence Speakers option, by adding two additional speakers above the TV, and configuring the receiver to use the Dialog Lift feature. This does help, but to use this feature I must select one of the DSP sound programs, which are fine, but I feel lack in bass making the sound feel a little bit less stronger.

Can DSP modes be corrected to sound more like Dolby/DTS standard sound, and still take advantage of the presence speakers?

Any ideas?

Thank you very much! :smashin:

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    is the centre speaker aimed directly at you? this made a huge difference for me

3. SergioRZ

SergioRZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :)

Yes I aimed the center speaker directly to where my head is when I'm watching movies.

Thank you!

4. kit1cat

kit1cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    This is a common problem with Dolby and DTS movies. The first thing you need is SP meter to make sure you have all your speakers at the correct level, if the sub and surrounds are too high this could drown out your center. If the levels are correct you can try adjusting the Dynamic Range settings in your amp, this will increase the volume on low passages and decrease the volume on the high passages. There have been a number of threads on this subject, try a search of the forums.

Barry

5. SergioRZ

SergioRZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

What do you mean? It could drown the center speaker because of the overall sound in the room, or could it drown the center speaker because the amplifier would become much too loaded?

The RX-V650 has these Dynamic Range settings:

By default the setting is MAX. Maybe if I change it to Standard there will be some improvement? And should I expect any disavantage by changing this to Standard?

Also, the RX-V650 has another way of changing Dynamic Range, but I really can't understand if it's the same thing or if it's another setting on top of the speaker Dynamic Range:

Is Dynamic Range feature and Night Cinema feature the same thing? If not, which one will bring the best results with the less possible loss of sound quality?

6. kit1cat

kit1cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi,

It's to do with the overall sound in your room not the amp, I have all my speakers set to small, if my sub is too loud some voices sound muffled because there is too much bass. Try turning your surrounds down a little and setting the sub by listening to some bass heavy music, you know well.

I tend to watch films in night mode because I find the sound effects can make the dialog difficult to understand, but I turn it off when I listen to a music dvd. I only have the night setting on my amp. I would try all the dynamic range settings including night:cimema and see if there is any improvement.

Also make sure the front on your centre speaker is at least in line with the front of the tv screen, not buried underneath the tv.

Barry

7. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    I'm on my 3rd generation of yamaha amps and am currently using the model previous to yours, AX640, and on all of my yamaha's the dialog has been a little lower than i would of liked, but only a minor niggle. You say you have your volume set around -20/-15 when watching films, personally i can never get mine that high as it would just be tooo loud, i personally have mine around the -40ish mark, so maybe there is something wrong with the amp somewhere.

The NIGHT mode is different to the Dynamic range setting, which should be left to MAX for best results. what the Night mode does is to cut down on low the low frequency sounds so that you can still have the amp reasonably loud without waking the neighbours. if you play the opening to saving private ryan or Armageddon with the night mode off then on your instantly be able to notice the difference.

As posted before you should have your speakers set to small, regardless of what size they are if you own a sub, this way all bass frequencies will be sent to the sub, leaving the other speakers to deal with effects etc.