1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V640 or keep my JVC RX888-VBK

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brian_R, Dec 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Brian_R

Brian_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about upgrading my reciever for a select few options. What I was wondering if some of you experienced "audiophiles" could help me out with your opinions. I can't get anyone else on any other forums to reply. I would appreciate any insight you may be able to give me. Here's what I have..... and situation...

I currently have a JVC RX888-VBK. I was thinking about upgrading to a Yamaha RX-V640. My question is, do you guys think I would be happier with the JVC I have now, or with the Yamaha? The JVC sounds great and has DTS and DD etc... But is lacking Component video connections/switching and a few other options. The Yamaha's power is also lower than that of the JVC (JVC has 120 watts per channel, min. RMS, driven into 8 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.02% THD at Stereo Operation, and 100 watts per channel, min. RMS, driven into 8 ohms at 1kHz with no more than 0.8% THD at Surround Operation. [This is all I can find on the Yamaha] and the yamaha's difference: Minimum RMS Output Power per Channel
    MAIN, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 ohms 85W + 85W
    CENTER, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 ohms 85W + 85W
    REAR, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 ohms 85W + 85W
    Minimum RMS Output Power per Channel
    MAIN, 1kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 ohms 105W + 105W
    CENTER, 1kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 ohms 105W + 105W
    REAR, 1kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 ohms 105W + 105W )

I just thought that I would get some experienced opinions before I shell out the cash.

I would appreciate some opinions. Thank you in advance all for the help.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How happy are you currently with your jvc? Are the features it lacks bothering you?

I wouldnt worry about the power thing by the way, i suspect the figures you find will be wrong..... this is standard procedure by the manufacturers at this part of the market

ad

3. Brian_R

Brian_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I love the receiver when I'm watching a DVD, but during regular TV broadcasts football games etc... I the subwoofer isn't used. Regular Pro Logic decoding doesn't use the sub and the only way to get the sub is to turn DSP off unless it is a 5.1 source. Another thing is that it doesn't have component video switching.

So do you think I should just wait until more features come out?

Thanks for the reply!

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its not so much more features i think you should wait for, maybe until you want to spend a bit more money in which case you will experience really night and day improvements.

Of course, if you need component switching and watch alot of tv (so would really need pl2) then this would be an unfair assessment.

Can you get a good price on the yamaha? If the above items are needs as opposed to wants, then, at a good price, the yamaha wouldnt be a bad decision.

ad