Yamaha RX-V640 as a preamp?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by cheechy, Nov 2, 2005.

1. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm looking to improve hifi playback quality for my 'living' room system.

Initially I'm looking to plug my old Pioneer A400 amp in to the preout connection on the back of the Yamaha AV amp to see if I get any stereo CD playback improvement. Wouldn't be hard it has to be said.

Anyhow the first question I have is - will I do any harm to the amps doing this - obviously I'm talking about using the perout connection on the AV amp and putting it into something like the AV in or CD in connection on the A400 amp. Will this work or is there a better way to do this without causing damage.

I suppose the second question would be "Is the Yamaha actually any good as a preamp"?

I have designs on moving from the A400 which will obviously be fiddly to get to work properly (ie its integrated!) to a dedicated power amp - possibly a Roksan or equivalent. Again though how do I get the components to match without destroying the surroudn effect??

Any advice or experiences very welcome!

:lease:

2. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    General advice on teh first point would be most welcome!

I've got shiny new Mark Grant interconnects on the way and want to try them out.

If anything else can anyone advice as to whether or not I'm going to cause either amp damage from the description above?

Thanks

3. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    dont worry, using the pre out option you will not harm either of the amps. i have my SONY AV amp and pre out to my LINN to drive my front speakers. and the sound quality for music is much better our my LINN then my sony. as for the processer part it wont sound anyworse than it working as a full range amp now (unless your pionner amp sounds worse than your Yamaha) i would recommend trying it out,

4. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

5. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    no probs best of luck

6. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Tried me old trusty Pioneer A400 amp last night with a set of Mark Grant's interconnects.

My little Kef Q1s have never sounded so good - cant believe the difference in music AND movie sound.

Music timing was so much better - drums more precise and seemed to go on for longer. Watched the Incredibles on DVD and the quality was excellent. Its just getting the volume balance right thats the problem - but I've now got an idea of how to setup both amps so that volumes are pretty even.

I'm now in 2 minds whether or not I actually need to get hold of a separate power amp now. Awesome!

7. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    brilliant news mate! i love finding such a big improvement on my hifi with out having to spend any money. to set the volumes correctly, what i did was use the test tone on the AV Amp and then adjust the music amp until all speakers were level.then i just remebered at what level it was (LINN dont have a volume dial but buttons and its level 43 in my case) , so now i just set the LINN to 43 when watching a movie, so quick and easy!

8. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Impulse bought a Roksan Kandy 2 channel power amp yesterday. Sounded good up until the point where the right channel 'disappeared' completely. Suspect a dry joint and the thing is brand new and I even listened to it before I left the shop!
    In my haste to get home with it I think I did hear it making very distinctive popping noises in the demo room and chose to ignore that.
    I suspect I'm going to have fun at the hifi shop today :(

9. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    man i hate it when that happens! you get all excited , bring it home, connect it all up......and then bham.......something doesnt work, regardless its gone wrong , you are entitled to a refund or an exchange, its your choice. best of luck!