1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yamaha RX-V639RDS - setup advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rdt123, Jan 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi all

Just purchased this amp. There are a million and one possible connections available and DSP modes. I've connected my speakers, wharfedale diamond 8 set and was hoping someone could answer any of the following:

1) Which DSP/sound setting should i use for dvd playback?

2) Should i go with RGB scart from sat/dvd to TV or use the s-video jacks on the receiver?

3) Are there any other tips for getting the best out of this setup?

Many thanks to all

rob

2. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    should have been 630rds sorry

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    1) Most dsp sound awful. If your amp has an auto setting leave it on that and it will automatically decode Dolby Digital or DTS from the DVD depending on which one you select in the DVD menu

2) If your DVD player has two scart sockets it is best to cable the digibox into the dvd player and then onwards into the TV so that both benefit from RGB which gives a higher quality picture than s-video

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I agree with Ian on Q1 and Q2 that just leaves Q3 for me. :D

Have no idea if the wharfedale diamond 8 set comes with a sub, but assuming it does, set all speakers to small and select sub only, set xover on sub to max. If it doesn't then go and buy one :Grin:

If no sub then setting for all speakers should be set to large.

Check the distances of your speakers and adjust the delay times accordingly.

Speaker levels - Try and get hold of a SPL Meter to adust the levels, much better than doing it by ear.

If you are using the supplied speaker cable then it wouldn't be a bad idea in getting something a little better.

:)

5. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for that guys

Just adjusting delays now

6. Pegleg2001

Pegleg2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    1) Which DSP/sound setting should i use for dvd playback?

The DSP modes are a gimmick IMHO. When I'm watching something that is set in a concert hall it usually sounds like that anyway. So no need to set the amp to Concert Hall.

2) Should i go with RGB scart from sat/dvd to TV or use the s-video jacks on the receiver?

Can confirm that I did the s-video connections via the amp origibally. Although it was OK quality wise, I have now reverted to cabling with SCART direct to the TV for RGB as stated above.

3) Are there any other tips for getting the best out of this setup?
    For Digibox viewing set the amp to PLII mode (It will show 'Movie' on the display). This will remain the default mode when you next switch on the amp. PLII is superb for general TV viewing and does a fine job of separating out stereo

Also, the remote can be programmed to do some basic commands for your other kit. For your Digibox set it to the 'Pace Sky' as listed in the rear of the manual (whether you have this or not). Code 1526 (or 1529?) IIRC...