1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V630RDS And Banana Plugs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Alsproject, Dec 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have just taken delivery of my new Yammy. However, I noticed that my banana plugs won't fit into the binding posts on the back.

Does anyone know if there is a way to put the plugs in as putting all the wires into the terminals is a pain in the ar$e.

Many thanks,

Alan

2. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 630 takes standard banana plug. Double check yours.

3. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ah ha!

I have found the banana plug sockets underneath the outer binding post cap. Just needed to remove them and the normal binding post is underneath.

I wonder why they changed the bung for this cap?

4. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EU regulation perhaps? No banana plug allowed. If your remove the plug, officially it has nothing to do with Yamaha. You did it, not them.

5. Mark D

Mark D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Push them in hard, they are designed to break the thin plastic around the outside of the socket. You would have to be pretty heavy handed to break the amp in any way.

Due to obtuse euro regs, all amps have to come like this. Some makers put in bungs but these are about the worst things ever invented.

The weird thing is - Valve amps sold in Europe hve to be supplied with valve cages to stop you touchng the "hot" tubes. But there are currently no regulations for halogen ELV or MLV lamps o do the same even though these run at obscenely high temps. Make up your own mind.

Mark

6. mellow

mellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Yamaha's have a one-piece plastic moulding instead of bungs, as Mark says.

According to a Yamaha technician the proper tool to use is a ballpoint pen! Leave the cap on and put it into the centre of the socket and the plastic film is pushed inwards and broken away.

Must remember to include a biro in my toolkit......

7. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if i'm being a bit dumb here, but just got my 630rds today and I want to use banana plugs. Do I unscrew the red and black plastic caps, pull them off or just pierce them in the middle with ballpoint pen? Thanks in advance?

Dan

8. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dan have you checked your PM?

9. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just seen it now Steve, however, I managed to pick one up yesterday. Thanks anyway mate.

10. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :Just bumping this as i'm still not sure what to do?

Sorry if i'm being a bit dumb here, but just got my 630rds today and I want to use banana plugs. Do I unscrew the red and black plastic caps, pull them off or just pierce them in the middle with ballpoint pen? Thanks in advance?

Dan

11. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well what I did was unscrew the binding posts as far as they go and then used pliers to pull them off (also removed a couple with my fingers and done them in :(). Then the normal banana plugs are beneath.

Remember that the pliers will slightly scratch the covers (if you are one of those people who want to save them for later and keep them in good condition) so put some tissue or cloth between the pliers and covers.

I wouldnt bother using a biro to make holes in the covers as its too much effort compared to just taking the covers off and also you will have shards of plastic in the connection.

What I have done is to take off every single cover (apart from the B speaker connection as I dont use these) and will leave them off as I dont foresee me using bare wire in the 630 (because it is too much hassle).

Hope this helps Dan as I was as frustrated with this too and it took me a little while to work out what people were telling me about the covers.

Alan

12. BillyNomez

BillyNomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Caught the tail end of this thread -
    Put a small flat screwdriver under the outer cover and gently prise upwards/outwards exposing a lovely hole for your banana plug to happily go into.
    Pushing biro's through holes...nahh !!

BR BN

13. hnrk

hnrk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I discovered the easiest way of removing the banana plug caps on the speaker plugs on my Yamaha RX-S600D here:

Tip - Banana Plugs into AV Amp Speaker Wire...

Here's the tool I created with a small piece of wire:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014