1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V630-some questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bob Mitchum, Mar 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically, I took out the plastic caps and stuck gale banana plugs into the sockets. When I tried to take one out, the plug came off but the rod got stuck in the socket. I've tried everything to get it out, but for some bizarre reason, it's jammed.

Anyway, on that socket , I've stuck a bare wire through the allotted hole with the rod still in the socket. Will this cause any damage? It seems to be playing ok.

Another question is that the amp went into standby once. The instruction manual says it does this when its overheats. Can this also be due to speaker wire shorting or impedance problems?
    I am using

Mission 701's-main fronts(8 ohms)
    Mission 700's-rears(8ohms)
    Kenwood centre(6ohms)

Due to the Kenwood centre I have the impedance setting aimed at the 4ohms or higher side ~(i.e)the left side. I'll be grateful to hear ur opinions:lesson: :suicide:

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My 630 is very sensitive to any speaker wire strands touching the chassis.

Don't think the BP will cause any trouble left in place

3. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. My warranty's probably invalid now I've opened up the sockets in order to put bps in. It's a surprise that the machine is so well built to be let down by such flimsy binding posts.

4. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob,

My 630 "died" after I hooked up some 4ohm speakers on the B terminals in parallel with my 8ohm Eggs on A. I told the wife not to turn up the volume too high as I was conscious of the impedance issue but when I got home she said "I turned it up and it died"!!! However, it turned out to be a false alarm and all down to a stray speaker wire strand on the terminals. The amp seems well protected against short circuits and shuts itself down cleanly. I've had no problems since tidying up the bindings at the rear. Like you I was a bit disappointed with the binding posts but otherwise have neem very happy with the product.