1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V620RDS Sound level !!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by blakeyboy, Aug 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. blakeyboy

blakeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got a Yamaha RX-V620RDS amp had it now for 6 months and very pleased with apart from the sound level. When i play DVD's i normally have to have it on about 35dB. I was just wondering if this is normal.
    Does anyone else have this problem with this unit.

2. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This happens with most amps, the dvd sound is more compressed than Sky, tv etc.
    Unless you have a meaty power amp ( i have a Rotel power amp)
    my sound level is around 50 db, higher for just stereo soundtracks. Without the poweramp the level was usually 35-40db. Make sure you have quite sensitive speakers @8 ohms otherwise your amp might be running out of steam to drive the speakers.

3. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too would like to know whether it's normal to turn up my Yamaha RX-V630 to up to 25db at times. With my previous RX-V596, my ear starts to bleed at 11 o'clock. So are we saying the older 596 are much more powerful than the 630 going by volume knob? I don't think so because at 11 o'clock, the 596 sounded distorted at times whereby the 630 still sounded more composed at 25db.

btw, I am using an very sensitive Cabasse Farella speaker at 92bd sensitivity at 4 ohms.

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I too got worried /annoyed that I had to turn the knob a long way to get any meaningful increase on my Yam 620. I think it is just fitted with a less sensitive volume control which has to turned further. Also found that stated db levels will tend to differ on Sony vs Yamaha kit - don't know why. Might be the warmer Yamaha sound sounds less intrusive than sharper Sony sound at given level?

5. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550
    I have the RXV595a and I get the same thing BUT if you look into the menu section (the one in which you can tell it what type of speakers you have i.e. Small, Large) you will find an option regarding some kind of volume management. You can choose normal or I think it's -10db this is to help you balance your system if your main speakers are big muvva's and the rest aren't.

In my experiance I have it -10db when I want loadsa rear speaker action and VERY crisp seperation and normal setting when I want it to BOOM BOOM SHAKE THE ROOM!!!!

The only problem with the latter choice is that when some-one with a deep voice (Mel Gibson for example) starts rabbiting, it can bleed over to the main speakers.

Hope this helps....

John

6. blakeyboy

blakeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers Shodan I will give that a try, it means that I will have to get that massive instruction book out again but hears hoping that I can now 'BOOM BOOM SHAKE THE ROOM'

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Nopeitd less compressed : higher dynamic range. lows are quiet and louds are high where as on Sky etc its compressed into a smaller range.