1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX V620

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by irvind, Dec 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. irvind

irvind
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Attempting to connect my Pioneer 575A dvd player to my Yammy amp and new B&W speakers. Tried the optical cable between the amp and dvd but nothing doing.. The manual for the amp is in storage & I won't be able to pick it up till Monday!! What's best, the 5.1 analogue connections or the optical connections? How do I set the amp for each of these? Only getting 2.1 at the moment... :confused:

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I assume you've connected all your speakers & sub to the amp with speaker cable. If you've done this and also connected the optical cable between dvd player and amp then you should be getting surround sound.

Make sure the input on your amp is on dvd player & not cd/cable etc. And select dolby digital as your program/dsp. This should work.

3. irvind

irvind
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Tejstar

Yes, all speakers are connected, as verified by the test-tone. Cd's are playing, with regular phono-cable connections and the amp set to CD, but dvd's only playing 2-channel when also set to CD... Optical cable is connected, what setting should the amp be at for a dvd to play 5.1?

Found the manual for the amp online, so wading through that at the mo...

4. dave741

dave741

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you configured dvd player to output 5.1 via optical output. I had similar problem with sony dvd player and that was problem...it was only configured to initially output 2 channel stereo and not dts/dd via any digital output

5. irvind

irvind
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On the 575A, digital out is ON, and Speaker Output is set to 5.1

I've a feeling the problem lies with the amp settings, and how do I connect the amp and plasma so the OSD will work? Composite out?

6. dave741

dave741

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont know if this will help.....yamaha website you can download manuals for ALL av components.

hope this helps a little....happy xmas anyway :smashin:

7. irvind

irvind
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Found that as per post no. 3... Merry Xmas mate!

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Are you sure you have the correct input assigned to the optical on the amp, becuase it might have been assigned to something else by mistake. Try playing a dvd and trying all the inputs, just press the next input button. If you find it's been assigned to something else just re-assign it. Make sure your sending Bit Stream/DD and DTS (set them to on or what ever)for the amp to decode, NOT PCM as that is already decoded by the dvd player I think.

If you just use analogue 5.1 in on the amp from the DVD, the DVD will be doing the decoding not the amp. But this will not be that bad as i'm sure a modern DVD's decoders is probably as good as a 3 year old amps, espectialy on something like the 575. You will lose the ability to use the Yamaha DSP's though as the amp just amplifies what ever it is sent into the 5.1 in.

9. irvind

irvind
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tried two different Optical cables, and I've run through all the different inputs on the amp, and the only time it plays is through the CD input which has the phono connection active. The remote is infuriating to change these settings in Menu 4... driving me bonkers... The menu has..
    4A (A)
    4A (B)
    4B (1)
    4C (2)
    4C (3)
    4C (4)
    4D (5)
    :eek:
    and I've set all of these to DVD. Except the ones which have no DVD option.

Tried the analogue 5.1 earlier and couldn't make that work either.. Will try again!

10. irvind

irvind
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got the analogue 5.1 working, needed to set the amp to 6-channel, helpfully on it's own little button on the front panel...

Would like to know what people think about this versus the optical option (if I can ever get that to work!!)

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Not sure why you are having so much trouble, is there any way you could try the DVD into another device, another amp or pc or something. Because if you can make absolutly sure it's not the DVD then i would blame the amp.
    Otherwise do you have another DVD player you could try to see if the optical connection is somehow damaged.

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    You should be able to connect a composite or s-video cable form your monitor out on the amp to your tv. Then this way you should be able to get the OSD to work.

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    It's very strange why this is not working, you said you've tried 2 optical cables so it can't be the cable.

You've said that all the speakers are connected properly.

You say that you've put the cables in the right connections (i.e. digital out on dvd player --> digital in (dvd) on amp).

You've made sure you've put the amp to output 5.1(i.e. Dolby Pro Logic II).

If you've done all of the above then I can't see why it won't work! :confused:

14. irvind

irvind
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, working now, but not sure why... The optical cable is running into the D/CABLE-TV input, and the amp is set to MD/CD-R input, but it works....!!? Will look into this further when I have more time.