Question Yamaha RX-V581 crossover settings - multiple or global?

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Monitor Audio Radius One and Radius 45 surrounds, with a Radius 360 subwoofer. I find that the Radius One is best with around 90-100Hz crossover and the rears at around 150Hz with my current receiver.

I am considering the Yamaha RX-V581 to get Atmos capabilities. But the manual isn't very clear about crossover settings - it seems to imply there is one crossover point which is enabled for all speakers which are configured as "Small". In my case I'd want all speakers set to "Small", with appropriate crossover points. If there is only one crossover point configurable I'd need to set the crossover to 150Hz to not end up with a hole in the rears frequency response, which would be wasteful at the front.

I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR616 which has per-speaker crossover settings, so I can accurately map this setup.

Is the RX-V581 just the wrong receiver for this speaker setup?
(RX-V681 appears to have individual settings listed for each speaker, but I can't easily accommodate the depth).

Last edited:
Why 150Hz? Shouldn't the crossoverbe between 80-120Hz regardless?

It would depend upon what the receivef measures as being the roll off point for the speakers. If there's only a global setting option then you'd have to set this to the highest roll off measured during the calibration. It is also suggested not to set Atmos speakers below 150Hz.

I think the RXV681 includes the ability to set individual crossovers, but not too sure what options the RXV581 has?

Also note that there's no 150Hz option on Yamaha AV receivers so you'd have to use the 160Hz option instead.

Last edited:
It would depend upon what the receivef measures as being the roll off point for the speakers. If there's only a global setting option then you'd have to set this to the highest roll off measured during the calibration. It is also suggested not to set Atmos speakers below 150Hz.

I think the RXV681 includes the ability to set individual crossovers, but not too sure what options the RXV581 has?
Mmm... I have the yamaha rx-v581 which seems to have a global crossover, I have dali zensor 3 F&R with satellite speakers as my FH (presence) I did an auto calibration of my amp and it sets my crossover to 40Hz....... I changed this to 90Hz as dali recommends this for their speakers,
ARE you now suggesting that I may need to change my crossover to 150Hz so I fill the hole with my surrounds.
Or that the amp I recently purchased is Shit?[emoji852]

Mmm... I have the yamaha rx-v581 which seems to have a global crossover, I have dali zensor 3 F&R with satellite speakers as my FH (presence) I did an auto calibration of my amp and it sets my crossover to 40Hz....... I changed this to 90Hz as dali recommends this for their speakers,
ARE you now suggesting that I may need to change my crossover to 150Hz so I fill the hole with my surrounds.
Or that the amp I recently purchased is sh*t?[emoji852]

The calibration detected the roll off of your speakers (40Hz) to be below the point at which you've manually set the crossover (80Hz). This is fine, but you shouldn't set a crossover lower than the measured roll off that is measured during the calibration.

Your situation isn't the same as everyone else's.

If after the calibration the receiver is setting the crossver at say 150Hz then you should not then set it below this. It is perfectly acceptable however to manually set the crossovers higher than the calibration set them.

The calibration detected the roll off of your speakers to be below the point at which you've manually set the crossover. This is fine, but you shouldn't set a crossover lower than the measured roll off that is measured during the calibration.

Your situation isn't the same as everyone else's.

If after the calibration the receiver is setting the crossver at say 150Hz then you should not then set it below this. It is perfectly acceptable however to manually set the crossovers higher than the calibration set them.
Thank you, so I don't need to throw the amp away then, it's perfectly fine?[emoji848]

Thank you, so I don't need to throw the amp away then, it's perfectly fine?[emoji848]
I'm new to all this, but I have a question after what you've mentioned!
Why wouldn't we just set the crossover to the max all the time After calibration [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

I'm new to all this, but I have a question after what you've mentioned!
Why wouldn't we just set the crossover to the max all the time After calibration [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Technically the human auditory system starts to be able to locate audio frequencies that are above 80Hz. It is therefore generally suggested to try not set crossovers much above this because the higher you set them then the greater the chances of you making the sub's location become apparent to you while portraying these higher frequencies. Afyer saying this, there are some sat speaker packages who's sat speakers are heavilly reliant on the sub for bass and who's rated frequency handling is close to or higher than 150Hz. Not everyone is as susceptible to localisation of the higher frequencies, but the higher they are then the greater the likelihood that those frequencies will become localised to the speaker outputting them.

Last edited:
Technically the human auditory system starts to be able to locate audio frequencies that are above 80Hz. It is therefore generally suggested to try not set crossovers much above this because the higher you set them then the greater the chances of you making the sub's location become apparent to you while portraying these higher frequencies. Afyer saying this, there are some sat speaker packages who's sat speakers are heavilly reliant on the sub for bass and who rated frequency handling is close to 150Hz. Not everyone is as suitable to localisation of the higher frequencies, but the higher they are then the greater the likelihood that those frequencies will become localised to the speaker outputting them.
Thank you for your teachings[emoji106]

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom