Yamaha RX-V581 atmos not working

Callid

Novice Member
Reaction score
My system is
speaker: 2 overhead, 2 front, center, 2 rear, sub
amp: yamaha rx-v581 (ypao detected 5/2/0.1 as 5 front, 2 rear, 1.0 sub)
player: samsung BD-P1500 (bitstream)
cable: HDMI v2.1
display: BenQ HT 2050A (1080p)

When I tested atmos movie (Ready Player One) with audio set as Dolby Atmos, my Yamaha amp displays Dolby TrueHD under straight or direct mode and two represent speakers are not displayed and not sound comes out. Please help where did I set wrong? Thanks.

In the amp assignments be sure to set the receiver to its BASIC 7ch option. Below the POWER AMP ASSIGNMENT settings there should be a CONFIGURATION option. Within this setting go to the LAYOUT --> FRONT PRESENCE option. Set this to OVERHEAD.

Is this the configuration you already have?

What happens if you engage an upmixing mode such as Dolby Surround. Are the two ceiling speakers depicted and used?

Ensure that the receiver isn't set to use NEURAL:X or a DSP Program as these would negate Atmos metadata in favour of the upmixing or the DSP processing. STRAIGHT or PURE DIRECT modes would have avoided this anyway.

I can only suggest you look at the source and ensure it is configured to BITSTREAM the audio unadulterated.

Last edited:
Yes, I have configured speaker to presence speaker and set layout to overhead. When I use Dolby surround mode, DSP selection is disabled. About the source, when I look at source info under option interface, input and output both are Dolby TrueHD. That makes me think that Atmos metadata is not even output from Blu Ray player. But player has set bitstream. I changed HDMI from v1.3 to v2.1 to increase bandwidth. However, it is still not working.

Yes, I have configured speaker to presence speaker and set layout to overhead. When I use Dolby surround mode, DSP selection is disabled. About the source, when I look at source info under option interface, input and output both are Dolby TrueHD. That makes me think that Atmos metadata is not even output from Blu Ray player. But player has set bitstream. I changed HDMI from v1.3 to v2.1 to increase bandwidth. However, it is still not working.

I'd concur with your appraisal and it appears that the source is not streaming the Atmos metadata. You can confirm this by looking within the receiver's AUDIO INFORMATION menu where it would look something like this if the receiver is actually acknowledging the presence of the Atmos metadata:
snapshot001.jpg

I only get TrueHD as input within the receiver's AUDIO INFORMATION. So you think my player is too old? I bought it in 2008.

I only get TrueHD as input. So you think my player is too old? I bought it in 2008.

It should be able to convey Atmos metadata as long as it can bitstream TrueHD. A plyer needs no specfic ability to handle or decode Atmos in order to convey Atmos metadata. The metadata is packaged within the TrueHD audio. After saying this, it may be something specific to how your player is designed to bitstream TrueHD that is preventing the metadata reaching the AV receiver? Cables would be of no consequence. HIGH SPEED cables predating to the advent of HDMI version 1.4 can convey HD audio formats such as TrueHD.

There was an issue in relation to seamless branching that prevented some early players handling Atmos encoded audio, but this resulted in audio dropouts and not just getting the TrueHD aspect of the audio sans the Atmos metadata.

Last edited:
Can you turn off secondary audio on your Blu-ray player?
Please post a pic of your on-screen setup that shows the speaker configuration - then we can double check that everything is setup correctly.

I have tried several things in the past few days, including bough a new 4K blu ray player to exclude my old one, but they were all not working. Finally I got Atmos to be recognized. It looks like a bug for Yamaha receiver. It can't recognize Atmos input by itself. I have to go to Advanced Setup and set inital on. After restart receiver and resetup wireless connection, Atmos shows up when I play disk. At lease it works now. Thank you for you guy's recommendation.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom