Yamaha RX-V575 Dolby Digital + ARC issue?

Gazbowski

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've posted this in the forum about my TV but have had no luck, so I'm posting it here because there's always the potential that this could be an issue with my AVR rather than the TV.

I've got the TV hooked up to the AVR using ARC and have other devices passing through audio of various formats with no issue, however the apps on the TV itself all seem to use DD+ for 5.1 audio.

If I watch 2 channel stereo video on Netflix or Amazon they work fine and the AVR gets a 2 channel PCM signal, but if I try to watch something 5.1 then the AVR gets no audio signal whatsoever. If I switch the AVR to a different input and then return to the TV audio input (while the video is playing) then the audio magically works fine and the AVR acknowledges that it's getting a 5.1 DD+ signal.

It just seems strange that it doesn't switch to DD+ automatically. Having a Sky Q box connected to the TV and passing audio from that through ARC works fine, with audio switching between 2.0 PCM and 5.1 DD without any problems. It's just the DD+ from the onboard TV apps that seems to be the issue.

All cables are correct, HDMI control (and equivalents) are setup, all the software is up-to-date on everything, but I just can't work out what I'm supposed to do in order to get the AVR to automatically acknowledge the input of a DD+ signal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check input setting on AVR and output setting on TV ARC.... Try alternative settings to see if it helps?

<Auto> should work, but hdmi handshaking can be flaky sometimes... and a forced re-negotiation between amp and TV fixes it currently. So an alternative TV digital output setting might work better?

If no joy then consider using an optical lead between TV and amp instead.

Precise make and model of both devices could assist those with more knowledge of specific settings on them than I have.

Thanks for your reply I appreciate it! I've tried resetting both to regegotiate the handshake and also tried turning settings on / off on both devices and still no joy :(

The TV is an LG 55UJ701V and the amp make / model is in the title of the thread.

Hi
Did you find a solution to this? I have exact same issue with my Yamaha RX-V375/LG C7 TV which I've only just noticed having got Netflix on the new SkyQ deal. Basically have to change inputs to get sound as it flicks from DD to DD+.

Using HDMI ARC for audio only as amp doesn't support 4k.

Hi
Did you find a solution to this? I have exact same issue with my Yamaha RX-V375/LG C7 TV which I've only just noticed having got Netflix on the new SkyQ deal. Basically have to change inputs to get sound as it flicks from DD to DD+.

Using HDMI ARC for audio only as amp doesn't support 4k.

Change inputs?

I'd suggest you try using a different HDMI cable between the SKY box and the TV as well as between the TV and the AV receiver. THe cable should preferably be as short as possible and rated HIGH SPEED. I'd suggest Amazon's own Basics cables as being both dependable and affordable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014I8SSD0/ref=psdc_1338421031_t1_B003L1ZYYM

Also try setting the DTV Audio Output setting on the TV to Dolby Digital Plus.

What happens if you access Netflix via the TV's own Netflix app rather than accessing it via the SKY box?

Note that the SKY box will only be outputting DD+ in association with SKY's UHD channels and the Netflix app.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
So, using Xbox/SkyQ the sound is all ok (even SkyQ Netflix) - displays Dolby Digital on the amp.

When I use the LG version of Netflix for Dolby Vision (or Amazon for that matter), I get the message on the amp "Decoder Off". If I press another scene button on the amp (another audio input), then press the original one again, sound comes back and displays Dolby Digital+. Flicking back to Sky/Xbox is ok, but when an episode finishes on Netflix/Amazon, I get same "Decoder Off" message and need to repeat.

Basically just using amp for HDMI ARC - SkyQ & Xbox plug into HDMI 1&3, Amp into HDMI 2 (ARC) on TV. Xbox set to Bitstream DD, SkyQ DD+, TV is auto and DTV audio DD+.

I have high speed cables (those exact ones in fact) and have tried disabling CEC and changing to PCM but I lose audio completely, so think it maybe an HDMI issue on the AMP swapping between DD and DD+. Only thing I haven't tried is to just use optical out on the TV into AMP but don't have a long enough cable yet.

Strengthens case for new Atmos amp with the missus!

I'd suggest it more likely to be an issue with your TV not correctly handshaking with the receiver. I'd suggest this because the receiver works without issue in conjunction with sources being directly connected to the receiver. It is only when using the TV as a source that the issue arises.

I'm using an LG TV from last year in conjunction with a Yamaha AV receiver from a few years back and ARC is working without issue. DD+ is accessible from Netflix and doesn't fluctuate.

I can only suggest you contact LG and Yamaha to report the issue.

You lose audio completely when disengaging HDMI Control because HDMI ARC is dependant upon HDMI Control and cannot function without it. You have to have HDMI Control turned on if wanting to access audio via ARC.

So I got an optical cable and all is well after using that instead of ARC (well apart from losing DD+, but no biggie). Should tide me over until Atmos amps drop in price a bit.

Thanks for all the help

I have the exact same issue with a Yamaha RX-V375 and a Philips 8303 series 55 inch TV. Using HDMI ARC all is good with PCM stereo, choosing DD+ and the receiver never picks it up, unless I switch to another input and back. I've ordered a digital TOSlink cable (will give me DD, I hope, but not DD+) -- cable is HDMI Highspeed -- tried multiple. Somehow the TV and the receiver don't agree on handshaking. When the TV is set to DD+ and turned on, the receiver turns on automatically, shows "AV4", then "Analogue" for a split second - then "Decoder Off" :/

My RX-V375 firmware version is 1.01 -- I cannot seem to find any other firmware out there.

Happy to report another TV with the same DD+ problem: TCL Roku TV 49S405 connected to Yamaha rx-v575. DD+ needs switching the inputs. Straight DD works without problems.

Last edited:
So I had, but resolved (mostly, at the cost of giving up dd+) the same issue. I have the Yamaha RX-V575 and just picked up a TCL 65S423-CA.

In the TV settings if you go into AUDIO, then S/PDIF and ARC. You'll have the following options.

Auto detect
Auto passthrough
PCM-Stereo
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Digital, DTS
Dolby Digital Plus, DTS

If you chose Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital, DTS. Everything works perfectly. If you select auto or any other dd+ option, it will try to output dd+ and the problem is present.

I don't know why dd+ is the problem, but it is. And I would assume it's a receiver issue, not a TV issue, due to the fact that we are all using different TV's, but the same or similar receiver.

Also I have the latest firmware update installed on both devices. I have used multiple different brands of high speed cables, to no effect.

DD+ cannot be cnveyed via S/PDIF optical. The TV should however still be conveying conventional DD if trying to send DD+ via optical. DD+ has a DD core to ensure backward comparability. It doesn't matter that the TV outputs it because the DD+ audio would still include DD core audio.

First, I'm not using s/pdif optical, I'm using hdmi arc. I only mentioned optical because that's what the setting is called.
"S/PDIF and ARC"

Second, in reference to the dd or dd+. Logically/theoretically, I understand and agree. However the above mentioned issues do only arise when dd+ is enabled. I, and I think we all, can agree it shouldn't matter. But it does. Most likely due to a software issue in the Yamaha receiver.

I have an LG OLED B9 and an yamaha rx-v375.
I have the same problem with the built in TV Netflix app (no DD+ sound via ARC). I had to use an optical cable.
Note: I actually managed to have sound by going forward and backward on some settings but when I restart the amp I get no sound again.
It's an handshake problem; and the Yamaha doesn't have an update firmware.

Exactly the Same issue as everyone else, on a Yamaha rx-v379 and Sony 55 xf90 tv. The resolution for me was to change the receiver to rx-V585 , had no issues since , using the same HDMI cables etc.
the amp also did it with a 4K fire stick attached as well.

Exactly the Same issue as everyone else, on a Yamaha rx-v379 and Sony 55 xf90 tv. The resolution for me was to change the receiver to rx-V585 , had no issues since , using the same HDMI cables etc.
the amp also did it with a 4K fire stick attached as well.

Must be a firmware problem - but lower models don't have updates...

Must be a firmware problem - but lower models don't have updates...
I thought it might be because the 379 only has one 4K hdmi input ? As the fire stick was connected to a non 4K hdmi Input

I thought it might be because the 379 only has one 4K hdmi input ? As the fire stick was connected to a non 4K hdmi Input
It would limit the image resolution but not the audio. The rx-v375 is 4k in all hdmi ports and has the same problem (audio).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom