Yamaha RX-V567 vs Sony STR-DH810?

Dr-Al

Standard Member
Reaction score
Replacing an ancient Panasonic SAHT05 Surround Amp & speaker combo with some separates. Total budget is supposed to be £400 but I know I won't stick to that. However there is NO WAY I can go over £500.

Pretty much decided on Canton 80CX speakers. I would have liked the Tannoy SFX 5.1 set but the centre is too tall for the shelf (wall mounting not an option due to spouse - also not easy with the room set up the way it is).

This leaves about £200-£300 for the Amp. I've pretty much got it narrowed down to a two horse race between the Yamaha RXV567 and Sony STRDH810.

These have pretty much identical feature sets where it matters to me but I was wondering if anyone has experience/opinions about pairing these with the Canton speakers?

The Sony can be had for about £30 less than the Yamaha so I'm kind of leaning in that direction but I had always thought that Yamaha outclassed Sony in the audio quality stakes so I'm still not decided.

Will be used for:
  • SkyHD
  • FreeviewHD from TV when 2 recordings on Sky
  • Games on PS3 & Xbox360
  • Blu-Ray on PS3
  • DVD on PS3 or Panasonic DVR
  • Music (streamed from Xbox)
  • Music (CDs played through Panasonic DVR via HDMI or optical)
Any steers towards one or the other appreciated.

PS - I'd love to audition them at Richer Sounds but I'm unlikely to be able to do this due to a hectic weekend Schedule! Also, the Canton speakers are in short supply and my local store will probably not have any by the weekend.

PPS - TV is Panasonic TXP46G20B

EDIT - Added Onkyo

Last edited:
Just looked at the Onkyo HTS6305 which features the TXSR508 receiver plus the HTP638 speaker package. This can be had for £400. I would lose the analogue video upscaling to HDMI that the Sony and Yamaha offer but I would gain a powered Zone 2 and an iPod dock (for if I ever get an iPod:facepalm:).

The plus side is that this meets the original budget but I'm not sure if the compromise in the sound quality is worth the £70-£100 saving over going with the other options.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Im considering between the same two receivers. Any views and advice?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Id personally look at the Yamaha RXV667 along with a pair of stereo speakers which i would upgrade to 5.1 over time. Will cost the same right now but sound miles better. Then allow upgrades of much better components over time.

Have you guys considered the Boston accoutics 5.1 (£220-260) the sub looks smaller but I don't know if it is, with one of the out going Onkyos (the 308 or 508) or the Yamahas? That would come in at around £430.

If you're sticking with 5.1, the RX-V467 would be the more obvious option. Apparently it is identical to the 567 other than it is 5.1.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom