• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Yamaha RX-v565 well....not very loud?!

Giblets

Hi just purchased a Yamaha RX-V565 and connected it with some Yamaha NS-P280 surround speakers (the idea is to change the front speakers to some bookshelfs, which I have not purchased yet).

I have set the system up, yet the volume is very quiet. Even with the volume turned up to more than 50% (-25dB (the scale runs from -80dB to 0dB)), it seems like a moderate volume, even at maximum it is still listenable without cringing.
I have turned up the individual source volume (to increase volume by 6dB), and have swapped speaker cable, tried different sources (Sony s360 blu ray, Sky HD+ etc), and tried different audio connections (HDMI, RCA's etc), yet still can't get volume up.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Worth checking that you haven't acidently switched the night mode on, which does reduce the volums and the mute isn't on --- some mutes allow you to adjust the volume level of the mute function.

You could also try re-running the setup on the Yamaha.

Giblets

Hi thanks for that, checked the mute, and the night mode(which I did not even know I had, but was not on!), which I changed to Max, and manual set up speakers so all front speakers are at Max) seems a little better, managed to change it by about 10dB (so listening volume is now -35 instead of -25), a good start.
Will getting some good speakers like Q Acoustics 1020i improve things?

EDIT: After the post below! Have uploaded the latest firmware, and changed the crossover to 160Hz (was at 80Hz), and this seems to have resolved the problem!

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Hi thanks for that, checked the mute, and the night mode(which I did not even know I had!), which I changed to Max, and manual set up speakers so all front speakers are at Max) seems a little better, managed to change it by about 10dB (so listening volume is now -35 instead of -25), a good start.
Will getting some good speakers like Q Acoustics 1020i improve things?

I would have thought that you should turn the night mode to 'off' as it will reduce the dynamic range of the sound.
You say that you manually set up the speakers. I would run autosetup to make sure that the amp has got all the levels right. Afterwards, if using a sub, check that it has set all the speakers to small, as the yamaha autosetup often gets that wrong.

New speakers would improve the sound, but i don't think they would make a difference to the problem that you're having.

-35 I would have thought was a good setting for the volume. I am often listening at -28 to -30 on my 1900. On my 1500, it is about -25. Though amp/speaker pairings will differ on that.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom