• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Yamaha RX-V500D connecting via ARC help

Jonnyboy82

Novice Member
I have a Panasonic TX-P50GT50B TV and have just bought a Yamaha RX-V500D. I have successfully managed to connect my Apple TV 2 via the ARC and have both sound and video. What I would like to know is how do I receive the TV sound via freesat through the receiver as I thought this would have come through the ARC also?

As far as I am aware there are no options to adjust TV output?

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
ARC (Audio Return Channel) - allows you to send audio from the TV to the AVR via the same HDMI cable which sends Video/Audio from the AVR to the TV.

To enable ARC you usually need to first of enable HDMI CEC Control on the TV and AVR then also enable ARC on both devices.

Where are you connecting the Apple TV.

Note that many TV's 'limit' you to 2.0 'stereo' audio if you connect an external Source via HDMI to the TV - which in turn limits the audio the TV will Output via ARC to 2.0 stereo audio (in which case you would be better off connecting the Source direct to the AVR for 5.1.

Joe

Jonnyboy82

Novice Member
Hi Joe thanks for your reply. I have the HDMI 1 out (ARC) on the AVR going to the HDMI 2 (ARC) on the TV.

Then I have the Apple TV on the HDMI 2 on the AVR to which works fine.

So if I then put the ps4 on the HDMI 3 on the AVR should this work too?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
All sounds good - your first post was confusing as you mentioned Apple TV via the ARC!

It's all about settings so ensure the Sources are optimised for the best audio via HDMI to the AVR.

ARC can be tricky with some combinations of TV/AVR so can be a bit trial and error getting the settings working.

Joe

dante01

Distinguished Member
The Apple TV isn't using ARC. ARC only applies to the audio sourced via the TV which is then output by the TV via the HDMI connection between the TV and the AV receiver. The AV receiver is getting audio from your Apple TV via the HDMI connection to one of its HDMI inputs and not via the ARC enabled connection between the TV and the AV receiver.

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Audio Return Channel

What is HDMI ARC? And What Does It Do For Your HDTV? | HD Guru

In order to utilise ARC you need to turn HDMI Control (CEC) and HDMI ARC on via both the TV's and the AV receiver's HDMI settings. Panasonic call their implementation of HDMI Control Viera Link.

This may be of some help when trying to determine which settings you need to alter on the TV when wanting to use ARC:

Jonnyboy82

Novice Member
Ok so it turns out I needed to adjust the ARC settings on the AVR as you guys suggested.

According to the Panasonic video the ARC goes through the HDMI 2 on the tv which is how I have it set up.

So am I right in saying that any other HDMI inputs should be put through the tv as opposed to the AVR? I.E BLU RAY PLAYER/PS4/ATV2 as their sound will travel through the ARC?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Running the BD via the TV is likely going to limit what audio would then be routed to the AVR via the ARC connection.

I would connect the BD (any any other external Sources) direct to the AVR and keep ARC just for audio the TV internal tuners/any online Apps (if it supports them).

Joe

dante01

Distinguished Member
Try to keep external audio sources connected directly to your AV receiver as opposed to passing audio through the TV. THe ARC function is more for audio you'd get via the internal tuners or SMART features of a TV as opposed to accessing audio from devices connected to the TV. The ARC connection is less capable than a direct HDMI connection to your receiver so audio being passed through a TV via ARC may not be the best you'd get if accessing it via a direct HDMI connection to the AV receiver itself. For example, if passing audio accessed from a Blu-ray through a TV and out via ARC then that audio will be limited to the audio handling capabilities of the TV. ARC audio is also restricted to standard definition formats so no multichannel LPCM, DTS-HD or TrueHD via ARC.

Jonnyboy82

Novice Member
Right so I have connected the ATV2, and the PS4 via the AV Receiver as suggested so the only input to the TV via HMDI is the ARC. It worked at first but I have just tried again and I am getting no sound from the TV through the AV Receiver? Any ideas?

dante01

Distinguished Member
No sound from the TV? The idea is to have all audio via the AV receiver and associated speakers, not to pass audio through the receiver to the TV.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You cannot have setup the ARC feature correctly? What is the source you are trying to play and is the receiver set to the TV input when you are trying to use the receiver to deal with the associated source. Ensure that Vira Link is enabled on the TV.

i1mg.jpg

Set the default speakers to theatre.

3hph.jpg

In the AV receiver's HDMI settings, turn HDMI Control ON and ensure ARC is also turned on.

Jonnyboy82

Novice Member
I have enabled hdmi and arc via the av receiver settings. To which I successfully had the sound through the av receiver for the external input of the ps4 and atv2. But after a short period of the av receiver being off I switched it on and it didn't work via the tv through the av receiver! And yes I tried all the tv inputs too.

That setting you have above I don't seem to have on mine, or atleast when I try to turn on the viera link it doesn't let me switch it on. I think it says something like feature not available.

In order for viera link to work don't I need a compatible viera receiver? What I'm getting at is will my Yamaha receiver work with viera link if it's not viera link certified?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Read your TV's manual on how to set up ARC. Viera Link is simply what Panasonic term HDMI Control. No, you do not need another Panasonic device in order to use Viera Link and any device that has HDMI Control will work. ARC is an optional feature of HDMI CEC (control) included with some implimentayions of HDMI version 1.4 or higher. HDMI CEC is a set of standards and this is what Panasonic's Viera Link relies upon for its functionality. You are effectively turning HDMI Control on onboard the TV when enabling Viera Link and ARC needs HDMI Control to be turned on in order for it to work.

Note that you do not need ARC to get audio from sources connected directly to your AV receiver. ARC is only required if wanting audio sourced via the TV itself. Your TV is only used to dispay video when using devices that are connected to your AV receiver via HDMI directly. Video is passed through the receiver to your TV via HDMI without any audio going to the TV. The audio is accesed by the receiver before it outputs the video signal to the TV.

Last edited:

Jonnyboy82

Novice Member
Just to update. I went into settings and this time I pressed the Viera Link and it worked, so I chose output Home Cinema and now all seems good. Strange though because I did try this before and it worked. But I did unplug power on TV and left it for 5 mins so unless this reset it? Who knows.

Thanks all for your help, very much appreciated froma newbie! lol :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom