Yamaha RX-V4A & V6A Owners Thread

Does the upscaling work with DVD content?
It's a mixed bag. I tested with a Samsung BD-6500 Blu-ray player and worked. Played a DVD and a Bluray Disk in 1080p. I tested with Shield and it did not work. Same 1080p content. Right now I do not know if it is player related of firmware related issue.

Last edited:
It's a mixed bag. I tested with a Samsung BD-6500 Blu-ray player and worked. Played a DVD and a Bluray Disk in 1080p. I tested with Shield and it did not work. Same 1080p content. Right now I do not know if it is player related of firmware related issue.
OK...thanks, good to know it appears to work fine with normal DVD content, I wonder if it just with streaming/software content it plays up?

Go to your Apple TV Settings. Video and Audio, Format. There set it on 4K HDR.
Go to Chroma. Set it to 4:2:2.
Try now to play in Netflix app a Dolby Vision movie. It will work. But is very unstable.
If you mean to set it to 4K HDR 60Hz by "set it on 4K HDR", then I run in exactly what I described in my original post: I get a black screen with "no Signal" on the TV after I do that. This however works when I connect my Apple TV 4K directly to the TV on the same HDMI input with either of the same two HDMI Ultra High Speed cables I use for my setup via RX-V6A.

If I set the Apple TV to 4K HDR with 30, 25 or 24 Hz, I also get a picture when connected through the RX-V6A. (and only get Chroma 4:2:2 as the only option)

Do I understand you correctly that you have a setup like this (Apple TV -> RX-V6A -> LG 49SK8500) and you can set your Apple TV 4K to 4K HDR 60Hz and get a picture?

My Apple TV is set to 4K SDR with Match Frame Rate and Match Dynamic Range engaged and 4:4:4 chroma. I have no issues with it going through the RX-V6A.

I checked on my Apple TV 4K on all settings and Dolby Vision is working! I still get a black screen or an orange one from time to time. I also get from time to time darkened picture. So the connection is not stable. I have Reos Gear Premium Certified HDMI Cables. Firmware on Apple TV is 14.2.
I tested with episode 3 from Locke and Key on Netflix app. I also selected 4K Dolby Vision 50 and 60Hz on the Apple TV and is working now. Yesterday I could not make it work.
I do not understand what happened. Yes My Apple TV is in HDMI 6 in my Yamaha RX-V6A and linked through ARC to the LG TV.
My settings are on 50Hz because I live in Europe but I checked 60Hz too and had no issues.
Try restarting the Apple TV and check to have the latest firmware on it. Verify to have Match Frame Rate and Dynamic Range on.

Last edited:
Patience Required

Quote from Yamaha regarding the firmware release schedule, taken from AVSforum:

Regarding new RXV4A and RXV6A receivers

Important to note that these new resolutions and the HDMI2.1 features are not active out of the box. There will be multiple Firmware updates as the actual contents become available... The reason for this is that Yamaha chooses to test and certify all features and resolutions before releasing. Also note that none of these resolution sources are currently available.

Here's the proposed Firmware update schedule:

4K120A - Firmware update April-June 2021
VRR(Variable Refresh Rate) - Firmware update March 2021
ALLM(Auto Low Latency Mode) - Firmware update April 2021
QMS(Quick Media Switching) - Firmware update April 2021
HDR10+(Dynamic HDR) - Firmware update April 2021
QFT(Quick Frame Transport) - Firmware update April 2021
8K60B & 4K120B - Firmware update September 2021
Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization – Firmware update April 2021

We've been made aware of an issue related to certain emerging video signals (4K/120Hz etc) from certain sources that can cause a loss of picture and sound when passed through the AVR. However, from the time we first announced our 2020 AVRs, we have stated that we will support such new formats via future updates. Please rest assured that we will address the reported issue as part of these future updates including permanent solution as needed.

Patience Required

Important to note that these new resolutions and the HDMI2.1 features are not active out of the box. There will be multiple Firmware updates as the actual contents become available... The reason for this is that Yamaha chooses to test and certify all features and resolutions before releasing. Also note that none of these resolution sources are currently available.

We've been made aware of an issue related to certain emerging video signals (4K/120Hz etc) from certain sources that can cause a loss of picture and sound when passed through the AVR. However, from the time we first announced our 2020 AVRs, we have stated that we will support such new formats via future updates. Please rest assured that we will address the reported issue as part of these future updates including permanent solution as needed.

Erm... wow.

Patience Required

The question that needs asking is whether or not Yamaha will recompense anyone who buys one of the new models now if it turns out that they cannot in fact rectigy the HDMI ussue next spring? Rght are being rather dishonest in the way they are phrasing their statements.

The fact that they are aware of the issue means nothing. I'm aware of the moon, but doubt I'll ever walk on it.

Patience Required

Its good that they are working on solutions and keeping us updated, however it was originally stated that the vrr, allm, qms, qft etc features would arrive December, if I was someone who bought it on the back of only waiting a month after next gen consoles to use the features i'd be pretty peed off right now that there's another 6 month wait

Its good that they are working on solutions and keeping us updated, however it was originally stated that the vrr, allm, qms, qft etc features would arrive December, if I was someone who bought it on the back of only waiting a month after next gen consoles to use the features i'd be pretty peed off right now that there's another 6 month wait

I'd suggest the person who inferred that the update would be arriving in December was incorrectly informed. There's an Audioholics video where a Yamaha representatives states that the update will be arriving spring next year.

I received an email from Yamaha at one point that cited December as well. The way things are going with the world right now, I'm not surprised or bothered that things are taking longer.

I was testing Dolby Vision with nvidia shield and a LG c9 oled tv. If i play a netflix stream with dolby vision, i get black screen. I also tested it o HDMI 4-7, still black screens. Will Yamaha give us a firmware update for dolby vision?

I checked on my Apple TV 4K on all settings and Dolby Vision is working! I still get a black screen or an orange one from time to time. I also get from time to time darkened picture. So the connection is not stable. I have Reos Gear Premium Certified HDMI Cables. Firmware on Apple TV is 14.2.
I tested with episode 3 from Locke and Key on Netflix app.
I also selected 4K Dolby Vision 50 and 60Hz on the Apple TV and is working now. Yesterday I could not make it work.
I do not understand what happened. Yes My Apple TV is in HDMI 6 in my Yamaha RX-V6A and linked through ARC to the LG TV.

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. So the V6A is generally capable of handle 4K/60Hz/HDR already. I suppose it is an incompatibility between my TV and the RX-V6A. I also have another - maybe related - issue: Every source played through the RX-V6A, independent of resolution or HDR, brings up the TV's input overlay ("HDMI 3, 3840x2160p...") every few minutes, as if I just switched to that input. This doesn't happen if I connect said sources directly to the TV.
So I hope that one of the future Firmware update will fix this.

My settings are on 50Hz because I live in Europe but I checked 60Hz too and had no issues.
Try restarting the Apple TV and check to have the latest firmware on it. Verify to have Match Frame Rate and Dynamic Range on.

Same here. I also use 50Hz, I live in Europe, too.

For now I'm able to watch all my Dolby Vision 4K content for a simple reason: Most Dolby Vision and HDR content currently is from the movies. Meaning it is 4K/24Hz/Dolby Vision. And this mode works. If I use Match Frame Rate and Dynamic Range, the TV switches to that mode for that content. For the normal GUI I use 4K/50Hz/SDR, which works, too.

Last edited:
I was testing Dolby Vision with nvidia shield and a LG c9 oled tv. If i play a netflix stream with dolby vision, i get black screen. I also tested it o HDMI 4-7, still black screens. Will Yamaha give us a firmware update for dolby vision?
Same here on Shield. I think might be Shield related with a drop of Yamaha HDMI 2.1 issue.

Last edited:
Hi all. I'm pondering the RX-V4A... can someone paste in some screenshots of its on-tv menu system? The only ones I've been able to find online are very brief snippets in the user manual. Looks like they might be the drab black/white ultra baisc ones as found in gaming consoles of the late 70's... is that correct?

2 things you need to check ....

The LG 65NANO866NA TV uses HDMI 3 for ARC/eARC. Simplink must be on. In ARC 'Additional Settings', Set the Audio output to Passthrough or Auto.

In the RX-V6A, go into Setup, HDMI, set HDMI-Control to on and ARC to on. Technically when using eARC, these can be disabled but it may help to get things going.
Coming back to this and not wanted to post a TV problem on a amp thread to much,I now have a big blank space on my wall as an engineer was sent round and also found the ARC not working to be a mystery ,so he has taken it away ,at least customer service between LG and Very where I bought it has been swift.

I have this issue that I do not know how to solve. There is a lot of imbalance between Surround and Straight. Straight sound is more lively and louder. As soon as I go to Surround the sound becomes thinner, it gets more pitch and less volume. I did not have this issue on the Sony STR 1080. Any ideas? Thank you.

I think that is useful to post here almost all web setting of the AVR.
After posting, I see that unfortunately some of the long menus are not visible. I will redo them.

1606406303759.png1606406401537.png1606406447314.png1606406486021.png1606406529969.png1606406596331.png1606406645131.png1606406669091.png

I have this issue that I do not know how to solve. There is a lot of imbalance between Surround and Straight. Straight sound is more lively and louder. As soon as I go to Surround the sound becomes thinner, it gets more pitch and less volume. I did not have this issue on the Sony STR 1080. Any ideas? Thank you.

Surround? Do you mean the Sur. Decoder mode? If so then what Surround Decoder mode are you actually engaging and to what format are you applying it to?

Also note that neither the Sur. Decoder mode nor the Straight mode effects the PEQ so it would flatten the EQ or effect it. It is only when engaging the PURE DIRECT mode that PEQ is bypassed or if you manually set PEQ to THROUGH.

Surround? Do you mean the Sur. Decoder mode? If so then what Surround Decoder mode are you actually engaging and to what format are you applying it to?

Also note that neither the Sur. Decoder mode nor the Straight mode effects the PEQ so it would flatten the EQ or effect it. It is only when engaging the PURE DIRECT mode that PEQ is bypassed or if you manually set PEQ to THROUGH.
Yes, Surround Decoder mode, Auto or Dolby Surround. I did not use DTS Neural X.

Patience Required

interesting in that September they think they will be able to do 4k120B which is compressed which is what the xbox series X outputs that currently wont display

interesting in that September they think they will be able to do 4k120B which is compressed which is what the xbox series X outputs that currently wont display

The XBox series X actually outputs 4K/120 as uncompressed video and it is the XBox that is raising issues with the new Denon and Marantz models. THe PS5 uses compressed 4K/120 and isn't exhibiting the same issues associated with the XBox.

The Yamaha update to simply activate the HDMI version 2.1 features isn't expected until spring next year. THere's no confirmation of whether or not Yamaha will actually be able to do anything releting to the HDMI chipset and its inability to handle uncompressed 4K/120.

There's no issue with compressed 4K/120 anyway so all that Yamaha are saying is they have no idea as to what they are going to do about the uncompressed 4K/120 deficiency.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom