Yamaha RX-V4A & V6A Owners Thread

Hi, the original source is a very large and renowned german tech magazine.
They tested it with the Xbox Series X playing Dirt 5 with 4k/120 output and a Denon 2700H.

Since the Denon and Yamaha uses the same chipset the Yamaha will also be affected by the bug.
Based on the report this will not be able to fix via firmware and the units have to be replaced.
They can test the denon but its logically impossible to test the Yamaha currently without the promised firmware

Looks like it's gonna be a long wait until the December update comes to test it out, if true this would be a massive product recall

Well this is why I’m happy I got the 700 from Costco - if this issue turns out to be true, back to Costco it goes.

Interestingly the source for the faulty chipsets is said to be Nuvoton Technology, but they don't appear to make HDMI chipsets. Even if they do, there's no reference anywhere to them supplying Denon or Yamaha with HDMI chipsets. More interestingly, some of the tech they do own the rights to once belonged to Panasonic and was purchased from Panasonic in the late nineties..

What is intriguing is the claim that tests have been carried out using an XBox series X. Where on earth was this acquired? The launch date for the series X is the 10th November.

Interestingly the source for the faulty chipsets is said to be Nuvoton Technology, but they don't appear to make HDMI chipsets. Even if they do, there's no reference anywhere to them supplying Denon or Yamaha with HDMI chipsets. More interestingly, some of the tech they do own the rights to once belonged to Panasonic and was purchased from Panasonic in the late nineties..

What is intriguing is the claim that tests have been carried out using an XBox series X. Where on earth was this acquired? The launch date for the series X is the 10th November.

lots of them out in the wild for development and extended use ahead of reviews.

Many magazines have got some for testing directly from Microsoft the last weeks.
For example eurogamer with their tech channel digitalfoundry, IGN and many more.

Nuvoton Technology have bought the chip manufacturing from Panasonic so the defect Chips are from Panasonic in the first place. Lucky for them so they don’t have to clean up the mess.

There's no mention of Nuvoton supplying either Denon or Yamaha with any chipsets anywhere, be they HDMI or otherwise. There's also an inference that this will effect all AV receivers eminating from other manufacturers in the future. Evert manufacturer isn't sourcing the HDMI chipsets from one source so how are they firstly coming to the conclusion that everyone who has an HDMI 2.1 model or for those planning on bringing one to market are using Nuvoton as their supplier? Neither Yamaha or DEnon have actually revealed who is making and supplying them with HDMI chipsets.

The chipsets that once belonged to Panasonic are ARM in nature or orientated at cellphones. What has this to do with HDMI?

Last edited:
There's no mention of Nuvoton supplying either Denon or Yamaha with any chipsets anywhere, be they HDMI or otherwise. There's also an inference that this will effect all AV receivers eminating from other manufacturers in the future. Evert manufacturer isn't sourcing the HDMI chipsets from one source so how are they firstly coming to the conclusion that everyone who has an HDMI 2.1 model or for those planning on bringing one to market are using Nuvoton as their supplier? Neither Yamaha or DEnon have actually revealed who is making and supplying them with HDMI chipsets.
Yea, and you make a great point that it doesn’t make sense that Xbox would be a problem but ps5 is fine, considering they are both AMD chipsets. If I have to run Xbox through the tv and eARC out for sound, oh well - it’s better input lag anyways and I’m one of the ones who has a CX and no eARC issues.

For those wanting an English in the first instance report of this then look here:

So are they saying the faulty chips are in the xbox as well or just that it didn't work via the Denon? meaning the receivers are at fault

They are basically quoting the original C't article in which C't imply that they've received "insider information"?????? Why anyone within DEnon or Yamaha would want to divulge who supplies their chipsets is a mystery. Nothing at all is confirmed or substantiated. There seems to be way too much guessing and filling in blanks to regard what has been implied as being anything more than speculation at this point in time. The fact that tests show the Series X box and an NVIDIA card as being subject to this issue suggest the XBox and that card are in some way at fault. To say otherwise at this point in time isn't logical.

Last edited:
They are basically quoting the original C't article in which C't imply that they've received "insider information"?????? Why anyone within DEnon or Yamaha would want to divulge who supplies their chipsets is a mystery. Nothing at all is confirmed or substantiated. There seems to be way too much guessing and filling in blanks to regard what has been implied as being anything more than speculation at this point in time. The fact that tests show the Series X box and an NVIDIA card as being subject to this issue suggest the XBox and that card are in some way at fault. To say otherwise at this point in time isn't logical.
We will see soon i guess, slightly off topic but if there was a problem with the chips used in the xbox then surely the likes of digital foundry etc would have noticed it in their testing, giving that they all have tested dirt 5's 4K 120 mode

So wouldn't Denon have noticed any discrepancies with their implementation of HDMI version 2.1 when running 4K/120 tests with their AV receivers?

I suppose all that this does is substantiate not rushing in and buying first gen tech, especially if there's no realistic manner in which to trest their proposed capabilities when you first take delivery of devices inclusive of such tech. If you've an existing eARC TV and AVR then you do not need one of the new HDMI version 2.1 equipped AV receivers so be patient and wait.

Last edited:
They are basically quoting the original C't article in which C't imply that they've received "insider information"?????? Why anyone within DEnon or Yamaha would want to divulge who supplies their chipsets is a mystery. Nothing at all is confirmed or substantiated. There seems to be way too much guessing and filling in blanks to regard what has been implied as being anything more than speculation at this point in time.

'Inside information' could just be referring to 'good old Gustav' at the local HiFi store...
It's certainly driving traffic to websites... apart from that, the value in the post seems dubious at best.

Is anyone using the V6A with an integrated amplifier via pre-outs? Or are you happy with the sound quality? Is it (sound quality) better than your previous setup? (ignoring the bit about eArc/ VRR and the other HDMI 2.1 related issues)

Had this same problem with my switch. The only way I got it to work was to turn off 4K upscaling in Setup>HDMI menu.
I haven't played with the settings enough though to know that was for sure the problem.
I had kids screaming at me wanting to play at the time.

Yesterday just try upscale Switch to 4K...
It happened same on me.. Only work in when 4k upscale turn off.. I think they need fix this too..

An where I can report this kind of bug to Yamaha?

I sometimes get the no sound on live TV from power on, resolved by switching input and switching back. No pattern that I can discern.
It seams that I figured out what cause the issue in my setup.

I disabled the standby-sync within the V6A. That caused the no sound bug when powered on together with the TV. Which is strange because it was auto powered on by the TV anyways. It was my intention that the AVR stays on when I switch to internet radio and turn the TV off. Now I have to power on the AV immediately again after turning the TV off.

Is there any solution for that?

I've made enquiroes with them in the past and they ordinarilly reply within 24 hours. If in doubt or if anxious about whether or not you'll get a reply, telephone them.

Hello everyone,

I am new here! I registered just to share my experience.
Up until yesterday my man cave home theater was 10 years old, so you can say I was grossly outdated.
I don't have any questions as I've read through all 19 pages of this thread and I learnt a lot :)
Special thanks and shoutout to @dante01 and @whitehart for their patience, amazing knowledge and generous sharing.

My system was comprised of:
ONKYO TX-SR608
JAMO S606 HCS with a JAMO 250 sub.
LG 65UH603V

I went ahead and invested in the RX-V6A, given my current tenure, I wanted to get something that could last another 10 years just in case :) It is worth noting that I am keeping my Jamos, I am only augmenting them with a pair of Sony SSCSE to enable Atmos.

The SSCSEs are on the way.
Next I am going to upgrade my TV to the LG 65 CX.
And after that, I have both PS5 and XBOX Series X on pre-order, upgrading my current PS4 (not pro).

My experience with the V6A wasn't exactly plug and play, but now that I am up and running, you can only imagine how happy I am with the result. It literally feels like a 10 year upgrade.

The sound quality is amazing, the VSBS and the Cinema Virtual front work amazingly well. The Enhancer function and Auto surround did wonders to my music listening experience using streaming services like Deezer and Spotify or even directly from my phone using Bluetooth. Maintaining the same set of speakers allowed me to better experience the leap of performance, yet again my benchmark is way lower than every person on this forum, but I thought I'd share anyway, as there's been some unwarranted negative feedback on the V6A in some instances on this thread.

Now to my setup experience!
I connected everything using new 8K 48Gbps HDMI cables.
First order of business naturally was the FW upgrade to 1.23.
After that I did the YPAO calibration and manually adjusted the values for speaker size and crossovers.

Frist problem I ran into was no sound from TV. Nothing whatsoever, I tried everything, ARC is enabled on both ends of the cable but no luck. Eventually I connected an optical cable and that solved my TV audio problem. I am even getting DD+ somehow, or at least that's what the AVR shows. I am not very bothered at this stage with this because the TV is old, and It is going to be replaced in a couple of weeks. My only objective was to get some sound, and now that I do, it already sounds way better than it was.

Second problem was my PS4. It was plugged into the TV directly, now I plugged it into the AVR (HDMI port designated GAME) and nothing, no sound, no picture. Despite the AVR front LCD showing PlayStation 4, indicating it identified the device correctly, it just goes into an infinite clicking/detection loop that locks me out even from being able to access the setup menu.

I tried to switch ARC off for the HDMI port, I tried manually setting the HDCP to 1.4, booted the PS4 in safe mode to fix any resolution issues, tried both HDMI Mode 1 and 2 on the receiver, nothing solved the problem.

After banging my head against a few walls, I thought I should try connecting the PS4 to one of the other HDMI ports, namely 4 to 7, and as soon as I plugged it into port 4, everything worked fine right away, no adjustments required.

People with PS4 Pro wouldn't run into this problem as their HDMI ports are much newer than mine. Obviously, ports 1 to 3 and the HDMI out port on the V6A are not as backward compatible as they need to be, given my oldish TV ARC issues and my ancient PS4 connectivity issues.

I will update again once the the SSCSE are here and I test out ATMOS.
And then again once the CX arrives :)

So far, so good. I am in love!

Cheers & thanks for the knowledge sharing!

P.S. Only my STB, PS4, and turntable will be connected to the AVR for the time being. Netflix, Prime and OSN will feed from the TV, Deezer and Spotify will feed from my phone. The NexGen consoles will be connected directly to the TV.

Last edited:
Frist problem I ran into was no sound from TV. Nothing whatsoever, I tried everything, ARC is enabled on both ends of the cable but no luck. Eventually I connected an optical cable and that solved my TV audio problem. I am even getting DD+ somehow, or at least that's what the AVR shows.

I think that you may be mistaken as to what audio you are getting via the optical connection from your TV.

You cannor get DD+ via S/PDIF optoval. You are more than likely getting just Dolby Digital as opposed to Dolby Digital Plus if using an optical audio vonnection from your TV to the AV receiver.

Another addition to list of problems:
If I connect Amazon fire tv stick or Mi Box 3 or PS4 to the V6A, I cannot use the "back" button on my LG C8's remote. If I turn off the V6A, it goes into pass-through mode and the "back" button works again. There is also something wrong with CEC. :(

Audioholics reached out to both Sound United (Denon/Marantz) and Yamaha regarding the reported bug in HDMI 2.1 chipset.

Sound United offered a quite long reply, the first sentence being:
"Some new gaming source devices that support 4K/120Hz output may not work fully with Denon (or Marantz) 8K AVRs."

Yamaha gave a short statement:
"As we test and explore new gaming system capabilities and the latest HDMI specifications, we will provide guidance on our website to help new and future customers with the compatibility of our latest AV receivers. We will certainly provide you with an update in the near-term."

Seems like we will hear more from Yamaha about this matter…

Source: Bug in HDMI 2.1 chips Affect AV Receivers, XBOX Series X & NVIDIA Graphic Cards

'Inside information' could just be referring to 'good old Gustav' at the local HiFi store...
It's certainly driving traffic to websites... apart from that, the value in the post seems dubious at best.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom