Yamaha RX-V4A & V6A Owners Thread

I think a lot of the reports are more to do with the unreliable nature of ARC as opposed to those issues being specific to the new models. Maybe even try using different HDMI cables? 90% of all ARC problems are rectified by simply using a different cable.

Been change like 3-4 HDMI 2.1 cable with ethernet, none issue fix.

Hmm.. technically you're right - ARC supports 1Mbps and 7.1 vs. Optical 384kbps and 5.1.
I was meaning as a fallback scenario for users that don't need the extra channels - it is an option. BTW, I'm not a gamer so forgot about the VRR situation.

Thanks for replying re 4K@60 and 24. That's a relief. Sounds like the new amp should work at least as well as the old one while the bugs are sorted out.
Yea, I’m one of the ones with no issues and happy as a clam. I got 48gbps HDMI 2.1 cables and everything seems to work great.

ea, I’m one of the ones with no issues and happy as a clam. I got 48gbps HDMI 2.1 cables and everything seems to work great.

:thumbsup:

I've been following this thread with interest as I have an RX-V6A on order (about 2 weeks away from delivery), to replace an older Yamaha RX-V673 which is only 4K@30fps.

I only recently upgraded from an old LCD to an LG CX and got ARC working in my system. Despite being a Harmony Elite user, I leave the CEC and ARC enabled, as it's useful. But ultimately, ARC can always be replaced by an Optical cable which will work just as well but without CEC features.

So I don't quite understand why people are plugging all their devices into the TV and trying to use a single cable via eARC (which is a HDMI 2.1 level feature by the way) to connect to the amp. Eventually this will be possible but right now, that firmware is not there yet.

Also, can anybody answer this? Is 4K@60 and 4K@24 passthrough working OK through the amp?
For a Gamer, input lag is Problem, best choose is direct plug into TV.
And All Netflix, Youtube, NAS and USB play media file, also direct from TV.
Also I don't have a Bluray player, So 1 eARC is great enough. No other device need plug into AVS.
So eARC is quite important for me.

Last edited:
… ARC can always be replaced by an Optical cable which will work just as well but without CEC features.

Not quite.

Conventional ARC will not function without HDMI CEC and eARC loses its auto switching if HDMI CEC isn't enabled. coventional HDMI ARC can also convey DD+, something S/PDIF optical cannot do. The streaming services also use DD+ in order to stream Atmos if and when available. If using optical then you'd lose access to DD+ and or Atmos. Enhanced ARC has the added ability to convey HD formats as well as multichannel PCM, something nether conventional ARC nor S/PDIF optical can do.

It should also be noted that games consoles ordinarilly output all games audio as multichannel PCM regardless of whether the supplied audio was HD or SD in nature. THis is to allow the console to easilly mix in sounds it creates into the audio sourced via the game itself. THe console decodes the game audio and then mix in its own audio prior to then outputting the combined audio as multichannel PCM. As said, conventional ARC and S/PDIF optical cannot convey multichannel PCM.

Last edited:
I've been following this thread with interest as I have an RX-V6A on order (about 2 weeks away from delivery), to replace an older Yamaha RX-V673 which is only 4K@30fps.

I only recently upgraded from an old LCD to an LG CX and got ARC working in my system. Despite being a Harmony Elite user, I leave the CEC and ARC enabled, as it's useful. But ultimately, ARC can always be replaced by an Optical cable which will work just as well but without CEC features.

So I don't quite understand why people are plugging all their devices into the TV and trying to use a single cable via eARC (which is a HDMI 2.1 level feature by the way) to connect to the amp. Eventually this will be possible but right now, that firmware is not there yet.

Also, can anybody answer this? Is 4K@60 and 4K@24 passthrough working OK through the amp?
Many of us use enhanced Audio such as Atmos or Dolby Digital, which cannot be sent over optical cable

My problem is my ARC works too well I guess. My receiver always goes to the TV input anytime I turn it on. I’m not sure if my harmony is doing something but it’s driving me absolutely insane. I just don’t want it to go to the tv input ever unless I tell it to.

My problem is my ARC works too well I guess. My receiver always goes to the TV input anytime I turn it on. I’m not sure if my harmony is doing something but it’s driving me absolutely insane. I just don’t want it to go to the tv input ever unless I tell it to.

It is the actual intended behaviour of a setup using ARC and an inherent flaw associated with the way ARC relies upon HDMI CEC. The HDMI CEC element of ARC forces the AV receiver to automatically switch to the ARC TV source each and every time you power up the setup.

You can workaround this by adding a delay at the end of your Harmony activities and setiing up an SCENE on the AV receiver that sets the receiver up as you'd want it to be set in association with that activity. You add the SCENE to the Harmony activity after the delay you added to that activity.

snapshot001.jpg

Last edited:
After I upgraded firmware from 1.13 to 1.23, I had serious sound drop out when playing media on TV app. Then I switched off HDMI 4K upscaling, the sound is running perfectly. The only problem I have right now is switching input for XBOX on HDMI2. Once I switch to HDMI1 and back to HDMI2, I have a black screen. I need to turn off AVR and turn it back on to get the screen showing.

Has anyone compared the sound quality (for music) of the V6A with a stereo amplifier?
I am contemplating on my budget to invest in the AVR and then the stereo amplifier - but it is a stretch for me. I can simply go for a a Marantz SR series at the combined price point.

Has anyone compared the sound quality (for music) of the V6A with a stereo amplifier?
I am contemplating on my budget to invest in the AVR and then the stereo amplifier - but it is a stretch for me. I can simply go for a a Marantz SR series at the combined price point.

No AV receiver will match or surpass the performance of a comparably priced stereo integrated amplifier when portraying stereo sources. Even stereo amps costing half the price of an AV receiver perform better than AV receivers when it comes to their 2 channel musical abilities.

It is the nature of the beast and every AV receiver is compromised when it comes to stereo their performance when compared to dedicated stereo integrated amplifiers.

Both Yamaha and Marantz are well regarded in terms of their signature sound and how it portrays musical sources. They do not sound alike though.

It is the actual intended behaviour of a setup using ARC and an inherent flaw associated with the way ARC relies upon HDMI CEC. The HDMI CEC element of ARC forces the AV receiver to automatically switch to the ARC TV source each and every time you power up the setup.

You can workaround this by adding a delay at the end of your Harmony activities and setiing up an SCENE on the AV receiver that sets the receiver up as you'd want it to be set in association with that activity. You add the SCENE to the Harmony activity after the delay you added to that activity.

View attachment 1386437
I was thinking of setting up a scene to do that. But then I just noticed the input delay setting. So I’m going to try that tonight. It usually changes to “TV” right away. So if I have it delay the hdmi change till after it might work out

Is Dolby Vision buggy for anyone else using a Shield tv? When I first setup it wouldnt even display. I could hear audio when playing a DV movie but no display. Maybe a HDMI handshake issue I eventually got it to display but it will randomly kick me off after playing for a few minutes sometimes too.

edit: turned everything off for an hour and came back and tried to watch dolby vision Netflix movie. Back to the original issue, audio will be playing but no display, just a black screen. Has anyone had this issue? I'm running premium HDMI cables and didn't have this issue with the same cables on my Denon. Using a Shield for Netflix, plugged directly into the V6A. V6A plugged into HDMI 2 eARC on LG B9. HD and Ultra HD4k labeled movies work with no issue, only Dobly Vision. Thank you
Yes, I have the same problem with Dolby Vision from the Shield TV via a Yamaha RX-V6A to an LG OLED65CX5LB. I get the Dolby Vision logo on the top right of the screen, I get audio, but black screen. I thought it might be my supposed "HDMI 2.1" 3 metre cable, but now I'm not so sure.

Yes, I have the same problem with Dolby Vision from the Shield TV via a Yamaha RX-V6A to an LG OLED65CX5LB. I get the Dolby Vision logo on the top right of the screen, I get audio, but black screen. I thought it might be my supposed "HDMI 2.1" 3 metre cable, but now I'm not so sure.
I have a similar issue w/ DV on ShieldTV. What I found as a workaround was to set the Shieldtv resolution from 4k 59.94 to 4k 23.976. Once I did that when I pick something w/ DV my TV would still turn red but if I changed input on the receiver to any other input and change it back to Shield it would work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ShieldTV 2019>TSR700>TCL Q825

Has anyone seen anything else about this? I just bought the V4A for upgrading to the XSX and would not be happy if this were the case, especially the way Yamaha marketed this.

Has anyone seen anything else about this? I just bought the V4A for upgrading to the XSX and would not be happy if this were the case, especially the way Yamaha marketed this.

it would be across all platforms including ps5, if this is the case i will be wanting a refund

The latest Yamaha models aren't as yet able to passthrough 8K or 4K/120 anyway. The Yamaha models require a firmware update to give them this ability and this update isn't expected until December.

The latest Yamaha models aren't as yet able to passthrough 8K or 4K/120 anyway. The Yamaha models require a firmware update to give them this ability and this update isn't expected until December.
I think the worry is that this chipset issue wouldn’t allow that to happen. Probably panicking about nothing.

I have a similar issue w/ DV on ShieldTV. What I found as a workaround was to set the Shieldtv resolution from 4k 59.94 to 4k 23.976. Once I did that when I pick something w/ DV my TV would still turn red but if I changed input on the receiver to any other input and change it back to Shield it would work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ShieldTV 2019>TSR700>TCL Q825

it seems the original source comes from reddit - large pinch of salt taken, apparently it will affect the new avantege range as well as all new denon AVR's

Interesting. I wonder where the problem lies. I know the LG CX can play Dolby Vision properly using its own installed app. I've seen nothing about The Shield TV not being able to play Dolby Vision content properly ( I guess I should unplumb it and connect it directly to the TV to check that out). The RX-V6A is supposed to be Dolby Vision compatible out of the box. Maybe it's my 3 metre "HDMI 2.1" cable that's unable to support the bit rate required for DV. It's not a super-cheap one, however. Perhaps it's just teething problems associated with connecting two buggy, nascent products.

it seems the original source comes from reddit - large pinch of salt taken, apparently it will affect the new avantege range as well as all new denon AVR's
Agreed on the pinch of salt, I have a hard time believing Yamaha would release these marketed specifically towards new console owners, then have them incompatible with them. The source of the reddit thread leaves something to be desired too.

Hi, the original source is a very large and renowned german tech magazine.
They tested it with the Xbox Series X playing Dirt 5 with 4k/120 output and a Denon 2700H.

Since the Denon and Yamaha uses the same chipset the Yamaha will also be affected by the bug.
Based on the report this will not be able to fix via firmware and the units have to be replaced.

Hi, the original source is a very large and renowned german tech magazine.
They tested it with the Xbox Series X playing Dirt 5 with 4k/120 output and a Denon 2700H.

Since the Denon and Yamaha uses the same chipset the Yamaha will also be affected by the bug.
Based on the report this will not be able to fix via firmware and the units have to be replaced.

Really. Maybe tell them that testing the Yamaha's receivers at this point in time would be a meaningless excercise. AS I stated, the new models wouldn;t as yet have any ability to passthrough 8K or 4K/120 so how on earth can they test these abilities relative to these Yamaha AV receivers?

They've not tested the Yamaha models. I'm not even sure that Yamaha are using the same chipsets. Why are Denon limiting there models to one 8K compliant input if using the same chipset that allows Yamaha to have multiple 8K compliant inputs?

Who said that Yamaha and Denon are using the same HDMI chipsets?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom