Yamaha RX-V4A & V6A Owners Thread

I am considering this AVR, but what you have reported above sounds like a showstopper. Is your issue solved somehow? I plan to use all inbuilt TV apps on my LG C9 as the primary source and use eArc to connect back to AVR.

Knowing what I know now, comming from a perfect working system (older Yamaha and Sony TV), I would have bought it a few months later, after the big update. I bought the Yamaha 4VA and the LG CX at the same time two weeks ago for a whole makeover. Awesome futures but a few bugs at the moment. Still happy with the makeover, don't get me wrong! ;-)

So if people have solutions for the mentioned problems, let us know.

Knowing what I know now, comming from a perfect working system (older Yamaha and Sony TV), I would have bought it a few months later, after the big update. I bought the Yamaha 4VA and the LG CX at the same time two weeks ago for a whole makeover. Awesome futures but a few bugs at the moment. Still happy with the makeover, don't get me wrong! ;-)

So if people have solutions for the mentioned problems, let us know.
This could have been my post. Exact same situation but with the V6A. Everything else is exact identical. ;)

Is your profile picture from the new setup? How did you elevate the CX to fit the soundbar under it?
I bought a separate stand with vesa mount to lift it over my center speaker.

The stand is defensively not a pro of the CX for everyone with a sound system.

Just got this and here's my current biggest gripe: Spotify on Zone 2...

Spotify Connect locates the receiver but only locates the name for Zone 1. If im watching anything on zone 1, and want to play some music out on the patio on Zone 2, the only way spotify knows how to play is to activate on zone 1 and 2 at the same time.

What am I missing here?

EDIT: Apparently this is a spotify issue going back almost 4 years that spotify cannot discern zone 1 vs zone 2... great... Play Spotify Only on zone 2 with Yamaha MusicCast

Any cute workarounds? I have a separate bluetooth receiver and could connect to that I suppose and choose that input for zone 2, but seems silly.

Last edited:
An update on LG 65C8-RX V6A sound drop out via ARC issue:

I tried Belkin 48 Gbps hdmi cable, Monoprice certified premium 18 Gbps hdmi cable and Amazon basics 18 Gbps hdmi cable. None of them solved the problem. The funny things is I did not have any problems with my previous home theatre system. I am starting to think that this may have something to do with V6A.

Anyone having issues with cec? I have hdmi control on for the Yamaha and simplink enabled on LG CX. I want to use it for ARC. Problem is about 50% of the time I turn on my tv the receiver goes to the TV input. It’s driving me insane since my Onkyo didn’t do this. I have control hdmi on the receiver since I use the Apple TV app to control volume (it’s just so handy). I have no idea how to make it stop doing that. Also can anyone else edit settings on the V6 while watching Dolby Vision content? Mine just goes to a black screen forever when trying to pull up menus.

Anyone having issues with cec? I have hdmi control on for the Yamaha and simplink enabled on LG CX. I want to use it for ARC. Problem is about 50% of the time I turn on my tv the receiver goes to the TV input. It’s driving me insane since my Onkyo didn’t do this. I have control hdmi on the receiver since I use the Apple TV app to control volume (it’s just so handy). I have no idea how to make it stop doing that. Also can anyone else edit settings on the V6 while watching Dolby Vision content? Mine just goes to a black screen forever when trying to pull up menus.
I had this once. Unplugged both the tv and AVR, suddenly both started working and never had the issue repeat.

Separately, it’s so interesting to see the disparity in experiences between people with the same hardware. My denon s960h was a crapshoot, didn’t work at all with eARC on my 77CX. However, I’ve been through 3 v6a’s / TSR-700s and all of them worked without any eARC issues.

maybe its just me but i see a lot of LG TV problems with the RXV6A - ive had zero issues with my QLED......so far

I tried Belkin 48 Gbps hdmi cable, Monoprice certified premium 18 Gbps hdmi cable and Amazon basics 18 Gbps hdmi cable. None of them solved the problem. The funny things is I did not have any problems with my previous home theatre system. I am starting to think that this may have something to do with V6A.
I get an audio drop every once in a while. Its like it cuts out for about a second. Samsung Q90T eARC to V6A. It does it on both the internal TV apps and Xbox. Audio is set to Passthrough on TV

Last edited:
Have my rx-v6a mostly set up. Having one problem. Got my nintendo switch connected hdmi cable to the amp, but not getting a picture, only sound. When switching the amp off picture will appear. Anyone know the cause? Totally new new system

Had this same problem with my switch. The only way I got it to work was to turn off 4K upscaling in Setup>HDMI menu.
I haven't played with the settings enough though to know that was for sure the problem.
I had kids screaming at me wanting to play at the time.

Had this same problem with my switch. The only way I got it to work was to turn off 4K upscaling in Setup>HDMI menu.
I haven't played with the settings enough though to know that was for sure the problem.
I had kids screaming at me wanting to play at the time.
As a rule I wouldn't have upscaling enabled on av receivers, I'd let the tv's do the job if needed, also it cuts out unnecessary processing

Similar issue. Sometime just connect and disconnect few time within 1 sec, it made my TV hang, have to restart TV.
I think problem may come for V6.

Does anyone have the issue that after powering on the TV (CX in my case) and the V6A with live TV source the AVR don't get a signal from the TV and shows only "decoder off"? I have to change the sound output within the CX to something different than ARC and back to it then the AVR gets a signal and I have sound. eARC is off because that generates a lot more trouble.

That happens each time I power both systems on when they were in standby for one h+.

Does anyone have the issue that after powering on the TV (CX in my case) and the V6A with live TV source the AVR don't get a signal from the TV and shows only "decoder off"? I have to change the sound output within the CX to something different than ARC and back to it then the AVR gets a signal and I have sound. eARC is off because that generates a lot more trouble.

That happens each time I power both systems on when they were in standby for one h+.
I sometimes get the no sound on live TV from power on, resolved by switching input and switching back. No pattern that I can discern.

I also sometimes get momentary sound drop outs on arc for live tv and the Tizen youtube app where the V6A shows decoder off which I do not get when using the xbox one x youtube app.

99% of the time I am really happy with it and I am sure Yamaha will patch out the gremlins in due course.

I had the same problem. I connected my tv-box to the TV (LG-B6) instead of the reciever and use ARC to get the sound to the reciever. Then set the tv to PCM in output.

Its not ideal, and have since become REALLY frustrated with how this v6a works with ARC and inputs.

Among many other problems:

The SCENE buttons dont remember any HDMI settings even though the menus imply that is does.
Same with speaker setups.

This makes other audioinputs simply turn off if i turn on the tv. Even with ARC turned off!

Only having one optical input makes ARC a "must work" thing and it just doesnt.
I didnt even see it only had one input before i bought it and im quite bummed about it now.

Backing up settings gives me "Error" message, even after completely resetting it.

I am really close to throwing in the towel and returning it!

And we have no idea if anything will be fixed via firmware.

Same issues here. Is Yamaha reading this thread?

Last edited:
Is Yamaha reading this thread?

Probably not and there's no reason why they would. If you've issues with the AV receiver then contact Yamaha and relate what those issues are to them. Yamaha are unlikely to addtress issues they are not aware of or haven't been informed of. And no, they don't go aeound browsing web forums.

The more customers reporting a particular issue then the more likely that issue will be reported back to Yamaha's central HQ for that issue to be investigated.

Puzzled at all the issues (mainly arc related) posted here, I've had zero issues with my V6A (coupled with LGB8 OLED, SKY Q) also using the tv's internal Netflix and Disney+ apps zero issues using arc for the audio back to receiver, not one drop out (which is a pet hate of mine so I'd pick it up straight away)
Using the latest firmware, loving life with Yamaha :D

I think a lot of the reports are more to do with the unreliable nature of ARC as opposed to those issues being specific to the new models. Maybe even try using different HDMI cables? 90% of all ARC problems are rectified by simply using a different cable.

Last edited:
I think a lot of the reports are more to do with the unreliable nature of ARC as opposed to those issues being specific to the new models. Maybe even try using different HDMI cables? 90% of all ARC problems are recxtified by simply using a different cable.
2020 and arc still has issues after all this time, it can be temperamental and annoying with it's niggles especially after spending so much on a setup that should just work, but like you said a lot of the time it can be solved with a new HDMI cable

I have this issue on tv as well as other inputs. When I have TV on arc and turn on tv, avr turns on but screen remains black. Also happens if I directly do something with the input, which turns on the TV and avr. Like you, it resolves itself if I change inputs back and forth

(.........)
The more customers reporting a particular issue then the more likely that issue will be reported back to Yamaha's central HQ for that issue to be investigated.

This 100%. Anyone who has problems with the Yamaha V4A or V6A, also report your problem to the Yamaha helpdesk. The more the better as mentioned before. And keep each other informed.

So, assuming that eArc (have an LG C9) is still a problem and Arc will work fine with the V4A or V6A, how is the audio/ sound quality for movies and music? I am having a setup of Dali Zensor speakers (5.0) ready for an AVR (my reference for comparison is Zenors with Marantz PM5005 and Cambridge Audio Azur 640A - used in 2.0 configuration for movies and music.)
I know that an AVR cannot match the musical qualities of a stereo amplifier, but anyone here who has personal experience with this pecific Yamaha AVR can draw some comparisons with their stereo setups?

Edit: Is there an option to connect the AVR via preouts to an stereo amplifier for the front L and R channels - so that I can use a compatible amplifier in future to improve music output?

I've been following this thread with interest as I have an RX-V6A on order (about 2 weeks away from delivery), to replace an older Yamaha RX-V673 which is only 4K@30fps.

I only recently upgraded from an old LCD to an LG CX and got ARC working in my system. Despite being a Harmony Elite user, I leave the CEC and ARC enabled, as it's useful. But ultimately, ARC can always be replaced by an Optical cable which will work just as well but without CEC features.

So I don't quite understand why people are plugging all their devices into the TV and trying to use a single cable via eARC (which is a HDMI 2.1 level feature by the way) to connect to the amp. Eventually this will be possible but right now, that firmware is not there yet.

Also, can anybody answer this? Is 4K@60 and 4K@24 passthrough working OK through the amp?

I got the same problem, like 50% success. Have always on off Arc/eArc make it work .

I've been following this thread with interest as I have an RX-V6A on order (about 2 weeks away from delivery), to replace an older Yamaha RX-V673 which is only 4K@30fps.

I only recently upgraded from an old LCD to an LG CX and got ARC working in my system. Despite being a Harmony Elite user, I leave the CEC and ARC enabled, as it's useful. But ultimately, ARC can always be replaced by an Optical cable which will work just as well but without CEC features.

So I don't quite understand why people are plugging all their devices into the TV and trying to use a single cable via eARC (which is a HDMI 2.1 level feature by the way) to connect to the amp. Eventually this will be possible but right now, that firmware is not there yet.

Also, can anybody answer this? Is 4K@60 and 4K@24 passthrough working OK through the amp?

i can only speak for me, I’m running my consoles into the TVs and eARC to the AVR because I want VRR to work on my Xbox, and otherwise I use my built in apps instead of Apple TV for media streaming.

Optical cable will NOT work as well as ARC, which supports more channels of audio at higher quality. EARC is ideal, though.

4K@60 and 24 works fine, both on my Apple TV hooked up to the AVR and my Xbox playing 4K blu rays through tv and eARC to the AVR.

Optical cable will NOT work as well as ARC, which supports more channels of audio at higher quality. EARC is ideal, though.

4K@60 and 24 works fine, both on my Apple TV hooked up to the AVR and my Xbox playing 4K blu rays through tv and eARC to the AVR.

Hmm.. technically you're right - ARC supports 1Mbps and 7.1 vs. Optical 384kbps and 5.1.
I was meaning as a fallback scenario for users that don't need the extra channels - it is an option. BTW, I'm not a gamer so forgot about the VRR situation.

Thanks for replying re 4K@60 and 24. That's a relief. Sounds like the new amp should work at least as well as the old one while the bugs are sorted out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom