Yamaha RX-V4A & V6A Owners Thread

Looking at a review on YouTube , they mentioned how these units don’t have 4k60 yet??
was about to pull the trigger for my incoming Xbox series X
Could go the Arc route but seems messy at the moment.

I think you mean that the new models haven't had their 8 and 4K/120 abilities engaged yet? This is known and Yamaha suggest that the HDMI version 2.1 abilities will be tuned on via a firmware update in December.

The receiver as it ships does include 4K 50/60 compliamce and this wouldn't be anything new.

Hi everyone, Just bought V6A and i have a question about Zone2 function: If am connecting 7.1 to main zone and I turned on zone 2 will the V6A automatically disable back surround or do I have to do that manually Including calibration of speakers ?.

Hi everyone, Just bought V6A and i have a question about Zone2 function: If am connecting 7.1 to main zone and I turned on zone 2 will the V6A automatically disable back surround or do I have to do that manually Including calibration of speakers ?.

Yes, but ensure that you select the 7.1 + Zone 2 amp assignment.

After calibration the AV receiver should automatically switch the amp assignments according to your usage of the unit. It will automatically disengage the back speakers in order for you to use the associated amplification to power a pair of second zone speakers if and when you engage zone2.

Last edited:
Yes, but ensure that you select the 7.1 + Zone 2 amp assignment.

After calibration the aAV receiver should automatically switch the amp assignments according to you usage of the unit. It will automatically disengage the back speakers in order for you to use the associatared amplification to power are pair of second zone speakers if and when you engage zone2.
Cool, Thanks

From the manual:

by default 2020-10-18 at 11.57.12.png

by default 2020-10-18 at 11.57.27.png

by default 2020-10-18 at 12.00.35.png

I think you mean that the new models haven't had their 8 and 4K/120 abilities engaged yet? This is known and Yamaha suggest that the HDMI version 2.1 abilities will be tuned on via a firmware update in December.

The receiver as it ships does include 4K 50/60 compliamce and this wouldn't be anything new.

The actual YouTube review specifically said they couldn’t manage 4k60, 4K 30 was fine. Anyone got 4k60 up and running?

You'd not likely get anyone in the UK experiencing this because UK TV broadcasters broadcast at 50Hz as opposed to the 60Hz associated with the USA. I'm not sure where you'd encounter content natively encoded with 4K at 60Hz here in the UK?

Have my rx-v6a mostly set up. Having one problem. Got my nintendo switch connected hdmi cable to the amp, but not getting a picture, only sound. When switching the amp off picture will appear. Anyone know the cause? Totally new new system

Here's all the video formats that these receivers should currently support:
by default 2020-10-18 at 12.20.04.png

You'd not likely get anyone in the UK experiencing this because UK TV broadcasters broadcast at 50Hz as opposed to the 60Hz associated with the USA. I'm not sure where you'd encounter content natively encoded with 4K at 60Hz here in the UK?

?? Only small amount of Xbox/PS4 and Pc owners..

That's something new and Yamaha didn't previously give you the option to use an absolute scale for the volume instead of a relative db scale.

I'd personally still suggest continuing to persevere with the relative db scale because this scale is directly relatable to what you are actually hearing and can be quantified.
It's not new. My old RX-A2040 had the option to select the scale as does my current RX-A3080.

It's not new. My old RX-A2040 had the option to select the scale as does my current RX-A3080.

Not too sure about the A3080, but the A2040 definitely had no option to use an absolute volume scale.

EDIT. Yes the A3080 model does include the option, but as I suggested, the A2040 had no such option. Yamaha didn't give an option to set the scale to an absolute scale on their AV receivers, hence my surprise when it became apparent that they now facilitate this.

FURTHER UPDATE: No Aventage models predating the RXAx80 models had this options and no RXV models predating the Vx85 models had this option. Yamaha didn't introduce this until the introduction of their new 2018 models. All models predating this only had the option to display the volume using a relative to reference scale. If you go back far enough then the opposite is true and Yamaha originally only utilised an absolute volume scale on their original AV receivers.

Last edited:
1) I’m having sound drop-outs for a sec while watching content from the TV (apps or video’s from my NAS).

2) I cant get my sound to work at all when I’m trying to use eARC. (HDMI control off on V4A and turned eARC to on on the LG)
Hi, I have the same issue with eARC on my CX too. It's unusable at the moment.

I had the drop-outs once after the latest CX firmware update but it was fixed after I switched to TV speakers and then back to ARC.

In addition I have to switch away from ARC and back to it after nearly each power on to get any sound out of the V6A until that it shows "decoder off".

Another YPAO issue. The levels were way off. I could hear this listening to reference material after calibration. I then brought out my SPL meter and several channels were 4 dB down relative to others. I've since run the pink noise and re-calibrated all channels to 85dB SPL with the receiver volume set to 0 dB.

Question for those that purchased the RXV6A.
The Denon AVRX2700 is quite similar in features and price, What made you choose the Yamaha over the Denon?

I've purchased a Sony XH90 and am looking to purchase a PS5 for a medium size room and need help deciding.

Not too sure about the A3080, but the A2040 definitely had no option to use an absolute volume scale.

EDIT. Yes the A3080 model does include the option, but as I suggested, the A2040 had no such option. Yamaha didn't give an option to set the scale to an absolute scale on their AV receivers, hence my surprise when it became apparent that they now facilitate this.

FURTHER UPDATE: No Aventage models predating the RXAx80 models had this options and no RXV models predating the Vx85 models had this option. Yamaha didn't introduce this until the introduction of their new 2018 models. All models predating this only had the option to display the volume using a relative to reference scale. If you go back far enough then the opposite is true and Yamaha originally only utilised an absolute volume scale on their original AV receivers.
My rxv381 allows you to switch between db and 0-97.

Question for those that purchased the RXV6A.
The Denon AVRX2700 is quite similar in features and price, What made you choose the Yamaha over the Denon?
That’s simple. The two more hdmi 2.1 ports.
But I hope they will enable them and fix the bugs soon. And I got the Yamaha 15% off.

Hi, I have the same issue with eARC on my CX too. It's unusable at the moment.

I had the drop-outs once after the latest CX firmware update but it was fixed after I switched to TV speakers and then back to ARC.

In addition I have to switch away from ARC and back to it after nearly each power on to get any sound out of the V6A until that it shows "decoder off".
I am considering this AVR, but what you have reported above sounds like a showstopper. Is your issue solved somehow? I plan to use all inbuilt TV apps on my LG C9 as the primary source and use eArc to connect back to AVR.

I am considering this AVR, but what you have reported above sounds like a showstopper. Is your issue solved somehow? I plan to use all inbuilt TV apps on my LG C9 as the primary source and use eArc to connect back to AVR.

eARC appears to be an issue as far as I can ascertain from what I've read so far? Maybe use ARC as opposed to eARC. You will not need eARC to convey the DD+ signal associated with the apps and the streaming services and you'd only need eARCfig wanting to convey HD formatted audio or multichannel PCM from the TV to the AV receiver. Your C9 TV gives you the option to choose whether to use ARC or eARC. You'd only need ARC for yopur proposed usage.

I am not sure, only mine got problem with LGCX, but eARC from TV to AVR got alot of sound problem
sometime just no sound at all. Need restart TV/ or on off Arc/eARC. Always need switch between PCM/ Auto/ passthrough because different Apps, media support different mode. Like PS5 and neflix work on Passthrough, NAS/USB media file DDAtmos 5.1.2 only work on Auto mode, and Youtube work best on PCM mode ,other mode got detection problem.

Yes use ARC will fix most problem, but my PS4 will lost lossless audio output only can us DD or DTS.

I am not sure, only mine got problem with LGCX, but eARC from TV to AVR got alot of sound problem
sometime just no sound at all. Need restart TV/ or on off Arc/eARC. Always need switch between PCM/ Auto/ passthrough because different Apps, media support different mode. Like PS5 and neflix work on Passthrough, NAS/USB media file DDAtmos 5.1.2 only work on Auto mode, and Youtube work best on PCM mode ,other mode got detection problem.

Yes use ARC will fix most problem, but my PS4 will lost lossless audio output only can us DD or DTS.

If connecting a games console directly to a TV then you'd ordinarilly be advised to use eARC as opposed to ARC. This is because game audio is usually decoded by the console in order to allow the console to mix in audio it is creating into the audio sourced via the game. The console outputs the resulting audio as multichannel PCM. You cannot convey multichannel PCM via ARC, but you can convey it using eARC. Consoles do this regardless of whether the game audio was encoded as a HD or am SD format.

I've put direct source HDMI 1 to 7 in the database for the RX-V6A, was originally only 1-5 hopefully it will seed for everyone on a Harmony remote (finally got around to it, crazy busy week)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom