Yamaha RX-V4A & V6A Owners Thread

Hey all,

Newbie question again- How can I tell if the receiver is decoding the input source as encoded by the content creator? For example- I am using eARC from my Samsumg Q90T to the RX-V6A- I have Atmos enabled in the TV- Where do I see how the receiver is decoding? if I hit the options button on the controller and look at the sound input those are all just blank with dashes. I see you can set the field to "DSur" but that doesn't tell me its actually getting Atmos.

I'm sorry all being new to Yammy after being a Onkyo guy, its hard for me to understand the nuances and interface of this new sexy beast from Yammy

Simply engage the STRAIGHT mode. This will bypass any DSP Programs and any additional D. Surround upmixing processing.

The receiver will indicate Atmos on its display or any other discrete format if and when receiving such formats.

by default 2020-10-13 at 14.05.18.png

There's an explanation of how to change what is being shown on the receiver's display within the owners manual.

Last edited:
Has anybody experienced random sound dropouts with LG oled connected via ARC? This happens when I try to play any dolby audio content on devices connected to TV's hdmi inputs and OTA broadcasts with dolby audio.

Has anybody experienced random sound dropouts with LG oled connected via ARC? This happens when I try to play any dolby audio content on devices connected to TV's hdmi inputs and OTA broadcasts with dolby audio.

Try replacing the HDMI cable between the TV and the AVR with a different one.

Try replacing the HDMI cable between the TV and the AVR with a different one.
I already did. I bought Monoprice certified premium 18Gbps cable but it did not solve the problem. I ordered a more expensive Belkin cable and will try with that one.

Would anyone have any troubleshooting tips for Dolby Vision not working with Shield TV? I have gone to both Nvidia and Yamaha and both say it is on the other company and they can't do anything about it. Dolby Vision works fine on my xbox, but when using the Shield TV I get audio but the screen remains blank. I get the Dolby Vision logo in the top right of my screen but then the screen remains black. I've reset all my devices so far but has not fixed the issue. Shield tv into HDMI port 1, V6A into eARC HDMI2 on LG B9. Using premium 48gbps HDMI cables.

I already did. I bought Monoprice certified premium 18Gbps cable but it did not solve the problem. I ordered a more expensive Belkin cable and will try with that one.

I've had a similar issue with an LG C9 connected to a Yamaha RXA1050. The issue only started after I changed the Amazon Basics High Speed cable between them for one of Monoprice's Premium certified cables. I went back to using the Amazon cable and the issue was resolved. I'd also suggest you set the Digital Audio Output setting on the TV to PASS THROUGH as opposed to AUTO.

Same problem

I'm enjoying this receiver the more I use it. I realized you can assign what the colored buttons on the remote do. I thought I was missing the "MOVIE" and "MUSIC" buttons from my old RX-V665 but it turns out they're assignable! The only quirk I've had with the receiver so far is the Dolby Vision banding issue, but that only occurred right after the update. Since then, every Dolby Vision video I've played on it has looked pristine.

My Samsung Q9 won’t turn my RX-v6a on after they have been off overnight (using CEC / HDMI control). If I shut the tv off, then turn it back on within a minute or so it works fine, but after it sits over night, or some extended period it won’t turn it back on again when I turn my Samsung Q9 on. This problem didn’t exist with my old RX-v683.
When it happens, I can correct it by holding the power button on my Samsung remote for ten seconds to soft reset the tv. Same cables and all that is used with the 683. Hoping this gets fixed with firmware?

Last edited:
Sorry - didn't realise the RXV4 / V6 cannot handle 2 x speaker setup configurations...
My bad.

Sorry - didn't realise the RXV4 / V6 cannot handle 2 x speaker setup configurations...
My bad.

you mean save different speaker configs? - not a biggie really - for example when i switch to phono i keep it set as straight which means 2 speakers and 1 sub

you mean save different speaker configs? - not a biggie really - for example when i switch to phono i keep it set as straight which means 2 speakers and 1 sub
Would have been neat to have that feature since the Denon 2700 (within the same price range) does have dual speaker presets.

Would have been neat to have that feature since the Denon 2700 (within the same price range) does have dual speaker presets.

You mean the model that only has one 8K input?

There's stuff you can do with the V6 that you cannot do with the X2700. You can simultaneously connect both presence (height) speakers and second zone speakers and have the receiver automatically reassign its amp assignments according to your selection of mode or the format of the incoming signal. Not even the flagship Denon model has this ability. There's a single STRAIGHT button to automatoically toggle between the engagement of DSP Programs and upmixing modes. You need to go into a menu or cyscle through multiple options to enact the same thing on a Denon receiver.

Last edited:
A week into owning the v6 and I'm very happy, getting to know all the different modes, menus etc, for me the straight setting sounds the cleanest with no added extra effects, looking forward to connecting the series x to it next month :thumbsup:

I think this gen i may have settled for the RX-V6A, I was thinking i may upgrade next year if unhappy - it seems to do everything I need, not sure what more a adventage version would do for me. I have a smallish livingroom can only fit 5.1.2 - maybe a 7.1.2 in future but really in my flat overkill. The sound quality is great, drives my front KEF's well for playing vinyl which is important, and i cant go extreme loud as living in flat so 100W is more than enough for me. 3 2.1 HDMI inputs is great. if i had a larger livingroom it maybe different. Cant wait for the Series X now to connect up next month

You mean the model that only has one 8K input?
Yes, that model. The only one 2.1 input thing was my reason to pass on that. Ironical it has two 2.1 outputs.

But to an other question I have. I'm struggling with the DSP modes. I use Standard for all documentations or news I watch. It's nice to have some voice on the rear speakers. But all the other modes generate way too much echo for my liking. Especial when playing games like Red Dead the modes for Action or RPG games are distorting.

Is that working as intended?
Is straight the only valid option for gaming?

I have looked for the older app to edit the modes but that does not work for the new Yamahas.

Last edited:
I use a cutomised implimentation of the SCI-FI DSP Program as opposed to using Dolby Surround or Neutal:X upmixing. I've an RXA1050, but here is the configuration I use:

Decoder type Neo:6 Cinema
DSP Level 0 db
Initial Delay 26 ms
Room Size 1.6
Surround Initial Delay 13 ms
Surround Room Size 1.6

The new models still fascilitate modifying the DSP Program parameters. Look in the owners manual for more details as to access the settings that allow you to do this or navigate to SETUP--> “Sound” --> “DSP Parameter” --> (name of sound program) to modify the sound programs.

You can modify the DSP Programs and eliminate the "echo" you describe. THe settings above add additional presence and atmosphere to the content I apply that DSP Program to without the reverb/delay you appear to be experiencing.

You can of cause also emplo the SUR. DECODER upmixing modes to content and these will not have the adverse effect you describe. You can for example use the Dolby Surrounf or the Neiral:X upmixing modes to create pseudo Atmos or DTS:X like imersive audio in association with sources that are actually devoid of Atmos or DTS:X metadata. You are under to obligation to use DSP PRograms and can apply SUR. DECODER mode independantly of the DSP Programs.

Last edited:
Yes, that model. The only one 2.1 input thing was my reason to pass on that. Ironical it has two 2.1 outputs.

But to an other question I have. I'm struggling with the DSP modes. I use Standard for all documentations or news I watch. It's nice to have some voice on the rear speakers. But all the other modes generate way too much echo for my liking. Especial when playing games like Red Dead the modes for Action or RPG games are distorting.

Is that working as intended?
Is straight the only valid option for gaming?

I have looked for the older app to edit the modes but that does not work for the new Yamahas.
I need to figure this out yet. When watching sports, news, and sitcoms on YTTV that is only stereo, I want way more sound coming from the rear speakers. I usually keep it on DTS Neural X but need to figure out how to edit on the Yamaha to get more rear sound on non 5.1 sound files.

I need to figure this out yet. When watching sports, news, and sitcoms on YTTV that is only stereo, I want way more sound coming from the rear speakers. I usually keep it on DTS Neural X but need to figure out how to edit on the Yamaha to get more rear sound on non 5.1 sound files.

YouTube only stream content in stereo and do not host multichannel surround audio.

Simply apply Dolby Surround or Neural:X upmixing to any content that has fewer discrete channels that you've physical speakers present and the AV receiver will create pseudo channels for those speakers that there wasn't a discrete channel present for. Output via all sprakers will not be continuous though and will be determined by the original soundtracks intent an the algorithms applied b the processing. If you want continous output from allspeakers, use the All Channel Stereo mode. THis mode mirrors the front left and right speakers at the rear of your room via the surrounds. I'd not suggest using this mode with video content though.

You can also try the DSP Programs, but be warned that these aren't always to everyones taste, but as I've previously aluded to, can be configured manually. You don't get the best from these in setups devoid pf presence (height) speakers though.

All of the above will employ all of the speakers within your setup irrespective of the incoming format and the discrete channels present.

Last edited:
YouTube only stream content in stereo and do not host multichannel surround audio.

Simply apply Dolby Surround or Neural:X upmixing to any content that has fewer discrete channels that you've physical speakers present and the AV receiver will create pseudo channels for those speakers that there wasn't a discrete channel present for. Output via all sprakers will not be continuous though and will be determined by the original soundtracks intent an the algorithms applied b the processing. If you want continous output from allspeakers, use the All Channel Stereo mode. THis mode mirrors the front left and right speakers at the rear of your room via the surrounds. I'd not suggest using this mode with video content though.
Thanks! Yeah I currently use Neural:X on all Youtube TV content since it is only Stereo. What I'd like to do is essentially just tell the Yamaha 'hey use Neural:X, but add more focus to the rear speakers'. I guess that isn't possible. Agree with the all stereo mode, I tried using that for watching sports and the news, and wasn't a huge fan of it.

Maybe experiment with the DSP Programs?

I'd suggest trying one of the MOVIE DSP Programs as opposed to the MUSIC options:

by default 2020-10-14 at 14.41.19.png

by default 2020-10-14 at 14.43.26.png

I use a cutomised implimentation of the SCI-FI DSP Program as opposed to using Dolby Surround or Neutal:X upmixing. I've an RXA1050, but here is the configuration I use:

Decoder type Neo:6 Cinema
DSP Level 0 db
Initial Delay 26 ms
Room Size 1.6
Surround Initial Delay 13 ms
Surround Room Size 1.6
Thanks for your settings I will give them a try.

But for my initial question, is that really intended to create an echo chamber with the movie and gaming profiles?
I mean, I get it for the music presets it sounds like the music halls.
But I have never been in an cinema with that much echo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom