Yamaha RX-V4A & V6A Owners Thread

There must be several thousand Sky Q boxes working with LG TV's all across the UK ( incliding lots at Osterley) I doubt its a Sky firmware issue

DKY have a very poor history as far as their firmware and their implementation of HDMI are concerned. They also have an even worse reputation for fixing or addressing the issues associated wit their hardware and their firmware.

Does this soimd familiar:

This is a known problem (well to us LG TV owners anyway) between SkyQ and a lot of recent LG TV's. Never tried pulling the cable before, i normally just reboot the Sqy Q box to get it back. Occasionally the Sky Q box will also drop back to 1080i too which may be a related issue.

Do you also find you get an intermittent "Stutter" in sound when watching SD channels such as music?

Personally i think the problem might relate to the handling of HDMI CEC between Sky Q and LG I have heard people say that V1 Sky Q boxes dont suffer from this problem but thats not a practical solution going forward.

Hi to all here.

Planning on buying the V6A.

Before i do, anyone here got it paired with the new Samsung TV's? In particular the QN90/94 NEO QLED screens? If so, any issues with the Amp TV combination apart from the known HDMI 2.1 issues?

Planning to pair it with XBOX series X and a PC with an AMD Radeon 6800XT (Full AMD system with HDMI 2.1 compatibility).

I'm considering selling my V6A, I love it but due to work etc it barely gets 5 hours usage a week, plus we've moved house and the living room is smaller so it's a bit overkill now as I have to have the volume low or use headphones when gaming so it's not even stretching it's legs, when I'm at work the kids and Mrs just use the TV sound so I think I may downgrade to a soundbar.
I purchased it last September and it still has the box etc, what price would I list it at?

Do you happen to have an LG tv and your playing dolby vision content? If so, this is not a avr issue, this is due to a recent new update for the LG tv which has broken dolby vision content.

DKY have a very poor history as far as their firmware and their implementation of HDMI are concerned. They also have an even worse reputation for fixing or addressing the issues associated wit their hardware and their firmware.

Does this soimd familiar:
Right Ive been through all the info in the threads above, and made a few changes to the LG setup which seem to have helped ( but its a bit early to be sure yet)
However what I dont inderstand is why my SkyQ and LG TV played nicely together when the HDMI went via a Denon amp, but im having issue with the Yamaha. Did the Denon cleanup/reclock or do something magical to the HDMI signal that the Yamaha doesnt.

Having HDMI eARC issues with V6A and Samsung QE65QN94.
When I got it all hooked up last night, Netflix worked flawlessly with Atmos. Different videos came up with Atmos symbol next to them like Lost In Space etc.
Today, the same videos show 5.1 instead. The sound either just cuts out constantly or doesn't play at all.
I have checked all settings, but nothing sticks out apart from sometimes audio pass through gets greyed out randomly.

Update 1: If I disable and enable Digital output for audio, sound works but it only shows PCM and pass-through is greyed out.

Update 2: I did a factory reset on TV, and everything started working. Netflix showed Atmos next to compatible videos. As soon as the amp goes off without switching the TV off, thats when eARC issues kick in and all the above issues manifest.

Any ideas guys?

Last edited:
How would one of these be for a poweramp setup, 1.6v amps, I'd want full set of pre outs.

At this rate I'll die of old age before updating my non HDMI av pre

How would one of these be for a poweramp setup, 1.6v amps, I'd want full set of pre outs.

At this rate I'll die of old age before updating my non HDMI av pre
Neither the V4A or the V6A have a full set of pre outs. The V6 only has pre outs for the rront 2 channels as well as a pre out for an active sub and another pair of pre outs for zone 2.

by default 2021-07-13 at 15.12.44.png

The only pre outs you'd get with the V4 are those assoiated with the subwoofer.

The cheapest Yamaha model to include a full set of pre outs would be the RX-A4A:

yeah looking at the back panel need to step up to the Aventage range. also

fab.

When I got it all hooked up last night, Netflix worked flawlessly with Atmos. Different videos came up with Atmos symbol next to them like Lost In Space etc.
Today, the same videos show 5.1 instead. The sound either just cuts out constantly or doesn't play at all.
I have checked all settings, but nothing sticks out apart from sometimes audio pass through gets greyed out randomly.

Update 1: If I disable and enable Digital output for audio, sound works but it only shows PCM and pass-through is greyed out.

Update 2: I did a factory reset on TV, and everything started working. Netflix showed Atmos next to compatible videos. As soon as the amp goes off without switching the TV off, thats when eARC issues kick in and all the above issues manifest.

Any ideas guys?

I've found eARC unreliable with my receiver and my LGC9 and got sound drop outs etc. I have turned eARC off and only rely on ARC as all my devices are connected straight to the receiver rather than the TV. I watch the TV built in Netflix app and get dolby atmos through the receiver with no problem just using ARC

Anybody know what changes are in Firmware 1.35 ?

what hdmi cables would be recommended as I’ve seen a few comments about the receiver been a bit fussy with certain cables I’m after 3 3 metre ones

what hdmi cables would be recommended as I’ve seen a few comments about the receiver been a bit fussy with certain cables I’m after 3 3 metre ones

Will you be using 4K 120Hz sources at any point in the future with the AV receiver? If so then you are going to need 48Gbps compliant HDMI cables, both between the 4K/120Hz source and the receiver as well as from the receiver to an HDMI version 2.1 equipped TV. If wanting official certification then you'd be looking for ULTRA certinfication.

If simply wanting to convey nothing more than 4K 50/60Hz through the AV receiver then you'd need nothing more than cables rated HIGH SPEED (18Gbps). Amazon's own Basics HDMI cables are both reliable and afforfable.

Amazon product ASIN B014I8T0YQ

You could spend a bit more on a cable certified PREMIUM, but the certification wouldn't mean that such a cable is differently specified than cables that are rated HIGH SPEED. The PREMIUM certification is just an additional reassurance and denotes that that the cables are tested by HDMI org relative to the conveyance of 4K 60Hz signals.

They are still basically the same 18Gbps cables you'd associate with HIGH SPEED though and the only difference would be the fact that thet are tested and certified by HDMI ord.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Any ideas guys?
Switch on your tv and avr first.
After that nvidia

Switch on your tv and avr first.
After that nvidia
Figured out it was the Netflix App issue. Have to re install the app each time to get ATMOS working

Last edited:
Hi guys. I am seriously considering the V6A to replace my dead Logitech Z906. The primary use will be for my PC, with no TV attached. After a week of Googling, I still have some questions:

1) What's the standby behavior like? If I browse silently for 30 minutes then get a notification beep, will I hear said beep?
2) I could keep it awake by periodically playing a silent sound, but is that a bad thing? Are AVRs okay with being permanently on?
3) What's the power usage like when it's on but not playing anything?
4) Is there a timer function to turn on / off at specific times?

5) Finally, I have googled for v6a issues but most threads date back to December. What issues are there remaining that haven't been patched out yet?

I am aware of the HDMI 2.1 hardware fix. Yamaha's solution (a board swap) is preferable over Denon's box addon which requires its own power source.

Cheers!

Hello everyone! First time posting here after doing copious amounts of reading and wondering if anyone here can help me diagnose this headscratcher.

• V4A is connected to my TCL 75R635 via eARC (5.1 setup, rears are wireless MusicCast 20s)
  • PS5 is connected via the receiver via HDMI 1

I have had zero problems with my setup until just last night. I had been playing games on my PS5 just fine for a few hours then decided to switch to YouTubeTV to watch UFC Fight Night. So I switch input on the TV from "AVR" to the YouTubeTV app and I'm off and running. After the fights were over it's time for more gaming. Switch input back to "AVR" through the TCL input selector. The receiver changes itself to the PS5 but no picture is displayed besides TCL reminding me "Is the device turned on?" PS5 is on.

I notice the audio channels on the front of the receiver flashing F/C/S/SW every few seconds. That's bizarre it was just working. Turn everything off. Fire everything back up. Same issue. Disconnect PS5 from HDMI1 of receiver and plug it directly into the TV. TCL recognizes the new device and creates an input for it on the home screen. Audio and video playback show up just fine (although in 2.0). So the cable is fine but just in case let me plug the PS5 back into the receiver with a new HDMI cable.

Same issue. Flashing audio channels and no display.

Short of factory resetting the receiver and/or updating firmware can anyone think of why it just all of a sudden decides not to work?

Thanks I'm advance,

DJ

I am currently in possession of a RX-A2A for my approval.

From what I've read online and seen in YouTube vids, the rule of thumb appears to be on the V6A; set output, or rather leave it, on 'straight'.

Is there any reason why I should keep 'straight' enabled instead of having the 'surround decoder' DSP option enabled?

I don't have any components hooked up to the receiver, I'm relying on eARC.

I am currently in possession of a RX-A2A for my approval.

From what I've read online and seen in YouTube vids, the rule of thumb appears to be on the V6A; set output, or rather leave it, on 'straight'.

Is there any reason why I should keep 'straight' enabled instead of having the 'surround decoder' DSP option enabled?

I don't have any components hooked up to the receiver, I'm relying on eARC.

There's no real rule of thumb and you can set the processing to whatever setting floats your boar. STRAIGHT simply negates all the DSP Programs and the Sueeound DEcoder upmixing modes. If that is what you want and if not wanring to apply DSP Programs or upmixing then yes, use STRAIGHT.

You may want to use upmixing relative to discrete 2 channel stereo sourced audio or even 5.1 or 7.1 if interested in creating pseudo object based effects with the Dolby Surround or Neiral"X upmixing modes?

There's no real rule of thumb and you can set the processing to whatever setting floats your boar. STRAIGHT simply negates all the DSP Programs and the Sueeound DEcoder upmixing modes. If that is what you want and if not wanring to apply DSP Programs or upmixing then yes, use STRAIGHT.
Thank you @dante01 . In the past twenty-four hours I've had the receiver, I've tried both and prefer 'straight' disabled and 'surround decoder' enabled.

I just wanted to ensure my preferred choice isn't detrimental to what I hear, it certainly doesn't appear so.

Thank you @dante01 . In the past twenty-four hours I've had the receiver, I've tried both and prefer 'straight' disabled and 'surround decoder' enabled.

I just wanted to ensure my preferred choice isn't detrimental to what I hear, it certainly doesn't appear so.

It is what sounds best to you that counts :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom