Yamaha RX-V4A & V6A Owners Thread

This feels right. I think i was confusing Dolby Surround and DD+ which you are explaining Dolby Surround is an upmixer while DD+ is discrete 5.1. When you say Dolby Surround that's an upmixer correct?

I was watching Servant on AppleTV last night with the VCF setup. In one scene there was a Cop knocking on a door in the background and it definitely came from behind the sitting area. I don't notice higher pitched noises behind us with VCF, but lower pitch like door knocks definitely sound as if they are behind you.

Cool technology and definitely superior to virtual surround from a soundbar. No doubt due to the separation Yamaha gets with discrete speakers.

Yes, Dolby Surround is an upmixing mode and not a format while Dolby Digital Plus (DD+} and Dolby Digital (DD) are formats. It would only be when DD or DD+ include fewer channels than the speakers present that upmixing would be applied to them.

Just updated the latest firmaware last night and now receiver doesn’t see any HDMI connection.
I had the same problem. I had to disconnect the hdmi on the tv, and switch of the receiver for a couole of minutes.
It would be fine afther a while.

I have had nothing but problems. I turn on my Direct tv and the PlayStation 5 boots up. Direct tv box needs to be rebooted when we want to use it. Netflix or any other tv app is a hit and miss with sound through the receiver. Popping noise through the speakers when switching between devices. Taking it back to Costco for a replacement.

I have had nothing but problems. I turn on my Direct tv and the PlayStation 5 boots up. Direct tv box needs to be rebooted when we want to use it. Netflix or any other tv app is a hit and miss with sound through the receiver. Popping noise through the speakers when switching between devices. Taking it back to Costco for a replacement.
Turn off HDMI Control onboard the Playstation and your DirectTV box.

seems to have to fixed the unstable switching HDMI channel from one source back to Xbox or PC blank screen problem which is great

I read so many posts saying about HDMI switching issues and problems with game boxes/play thingies......but ours has three HDMI connected with Amazon 4K stick, Roku stick and Sony UHD player all output to the Epson projector and we’ve had absolutely no issues at all since new, it just works......granted it took getting used to the fact the dis-lay and remote is different from our previous Yammy but it all works.

It just has to be some signal incompatibility/mismatch in the games consoles (and I think some LG TVs?) surely?

Guys, u can check out this discussion. For me Dolby Atmos is still gimmick (yes there are some exceptions). But most of the time you get poor experience though out the movies. So I would not attach such weight to it (for now)

I no longer think this is true. Maybe two years ago. And maybe just a little true now, but the rate of new content is starting to expand.

And for me, it isn't even about movies. Atmos music is an almost life changing experience for me. Now, there's even less music available, but the rate it's coming out is increasing steadily. Tidal has Atmos music and it's not got a ton of stuff, but they have full albums from Kraftwerk, Steven Wilson, Alanis Morissette, Glass Animals, London Elektricity, Meek Mill, Post Malone, John Williams and the London Philharmonic, Norah Jones, and a bunch of other artists I've never heard of. Then some singles from artists like Sir Elton John, Rush, Blondie, Lyrnyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers, Guns N Roses, and those are just off the top of my head. There's more, especially pop, rap, and classical that I don't even know or recognize. Not that I don't like those genres, I'm pretty eclectic, but I don't know a lot of current artists in any genre.

Anyways, sales and adoption drive content availability. And it's already slowly increasing in rate of availability. Netflix is investing in it too and I'm sure the amount of people who consume it is being tracked and the more people who have it, the more they're gonna invest in it.

The quality of content is getting better too. It is new and a completely new way of mixing, object based vs track based. So there's a learning curve and engineers have to figure out not just how to make the mixes, but how to utilize the technology for maximum effect. I think that's starting to happen, but if pessimistic people like you keep going around shitting on it, it will happen slower and slower or this truly innovative technology might just die out because people aren't adopting it or even trying/testing it out because people are telling them it isn't worth it.

Most of us buy a receiver for it to last at least 2 to 5 years as well. So we hedge our bets that in that 2 to 5 years content and quality will increase.

And you're also on a forum pretty much geared towards enthusiasts and a lot are early adopters because the tech excited us.

So your attitude isn't highly appreciated, neither is it constructive.

Yeah and no ALLM

No, that doesn't seem to be 'activated' either. A firmware update that added nothing in particular lol.
Yeah, it's almost as if they said that those wouldn't be available til April. And likely it was focused on bug fixes or other under-the-covers improvements. Or even code to prepare for those other updates and let them "soak".

Soaking btw is a software industry term for putting code out into the wild that is intended for a future feature, but could impact other functionality, in order to do large scale stability testing prior to the release of a new feature. It's usually very low risk but a best practice nonetheless, especially when you're dealing with hardware or appliances and a large scale test is impractical because you typically don't have thousands of units to test with.

I used to work for a company that made network security appliances. I was in QA at the time and was basically in charge of our lab. We made 3 models. We had 3 of each in our lab. That's kind of pretty common. I imagine a company like Yamaha probably has more than that, but I couldn't imagine them having more than maybe 10 of each.

They don't want to introduce bugs or anything really really unstable that might break working functionality for thousand of users. And comprehensive updates like they're promising and people are demanding are extremely risky. So this is a very good way to mitigate that risk.

I can't say for sure that's what they're doing here, but I bet most or all of the code for those features is even in the update just deactivated with what we call "feature flags". And the "comprehensive" update will probably just contain any necessary bug fixes and code to turn those features on.

You can see that behavior in a lot of MMOs too.

Dont agree with you. How long is Dolby atmos on the market? So statement "its getting better" is nonsense. Maybe you should listen the interview first.

I just purchased this receiver and I am terrified after reading this thread. Yikes.

Anyways, I replaced my Pioneer and I am already having issues.

I have the receiver connected to WiFi but it will not update aupdating over WiFi is grayed out.

More importantly, I have an Xbox Series X and Apple TV hooked up. Upon changing inputs the screen is just black and I have to turn the receiver off and back on again for it to work.

On top of that, this new issue where companies sell products and then promise features with a future update should be illegal.

New owner of the V4A here: been reading thought the thread for the last three days but still can't get my head around an ARC problem I've been having.

My AV is connected to my TV via ARC, all other peripherals (consoles, Fire TV) are connected to the AV. Everything works fine except the sound that should be coming from my TV via ARC is not working after the AV has been turned off for a couple of hours. Turning the ARC settings off and on in the AV or TV settings makes the sound work again.

Is there a workaround to consistently have ARC working instead of having to manually switch it off and on again every time the receiver was turned off (e.g. overnight)?

Thank you kindly in advance!

My TV: Samsung Q8FN (2018 model, no eARC, firmware up-to-date)
My AV: V4A (Firmware 1.31)

Short edit: I've tried factory resetting the TV and the AV as well as changing HDMI cables and the problem still persists. I know that using a Optical cable and turning off ARC is a valid workaround but I upgraded from my old AV to finally enjoy all the features of ARC (like device control) so I really don't like to settle with a 10 year old solution.

Last edited:
New owner of the V4A here: been reading thought the thread for the last three days but still can't get my head around an ARC problem I've been having.

My AV is connected to my TV via ARC, all other peripherals (consoles, Fire TV) are connected to the AV. Everything works fine except the sound that should be coming from my TV via ARC is not working after the AV has been turned off for a couple of hours. Turning the ARC settings off and on in the AV or TV settings makes the sound work again.

Is there a workaround to consistently have ARC working instead of having to manually switch it off and on again every time the receiver was turned off (e.g. overnight)?

Thank you kindly in advance!

My TV: Samsung Q8FN (2018 model, no eARC, firmware up-to-date)
My AV: V4A (Firmware 1.31)

Short edit: I've tried factory resetting the TV and the AV as well as changing HDMI cables and the problem still persists. I know that using a Optical cable and turning off ARC is a valid workaround but I upgraded from my old AV to finally enjoy all the features of ARC (like device control) so I really don't like to settle with a 10 year old solution.

Attachments

• 20210227_132035.jpg
    20210227_132035.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 194
I just purchased this receiver and I am terrified after reading this thread. Yikes.

I have the receiver connected to WiFi but it will not update aupdating over WiFi is grayed out.

More importantly, I have an Xbox Series X and Apple TV hooked up. Upon changing inputs the screen is just black and I have to turn the receiver off and back on again for it to work.

On top of that, this new issue where companies sell products and then promise features with a future update should be illegal.
You have entered your WiFi network and password? When I first got mine I wondered why the update would not work and then realised although it appeared it was connected I had not actually gone through the network settings.

Actually you have to update your unit via unit itself using physical buttons not via remote controler

Thanks for your reply @ladik1983 . I've seen that you suggested this before back in January but I've only changed Standby Through to On and that alone didn't fix the issue. I've now tried to additionally set Standby Sync to On, as suggested in your photo (both were set to Auto before). I'll report back as soon as the AV was idle for a couple of hours (probably tomorrow morning).

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I've seen that you suggested this before back in January but I've only changed Standby Through to On and that alone didn't fix the issue. I've now tried to additionally set Standby Sync to On, as suggested in your photo (both were set to Auto before). I'll report back as soon as the AV was idle for a couple of hours (probably tomorrow morning).
Have you tried using a different HDMI cable? Preferably one that is categorised as being at least HIGH SPEED. Also try not to use long cables.

Also note that device control isn't a feature of ARC and is something associated with HDMI CEC (HDMI Control) which ARC is dependant upon.

Thanks for your reply @ladik1983 . I've seen that you suggested this before back in January but I've only changed Standby Through to On and that alone didn't fix the issue. I've now tried to additionally set Standby Sync to On, as suggested in your photo (both were set to Auto before). I'll report back as soon as the AV was idle for a couple of hours (probably tomorrow morning).
It helps fo me at the most of the time. But time to time it show Decoder off, so i found out it is caused by TV box with CoreELEC. When i turned off TV box immediately ARC (TV - AVR) started to work

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable? Preferably one that is categorised as being at least HIGH SPEED. Also try not to use long cables.

Also note that device control isn't a feature of ARC and is something associated with HDMI CEC (HDMI Control) which ARC is dependant upon.
Yes I've tried two different HDMI cables: one with HDMI 2.1 (the one that came with the PS5, I assume it has to be ARC compatible as well) and one classified as HDMI 2.0 High Speed and ARC compatible.

The device control/CEC works as intended (my TV turns on when I turn my AV on) but as soon as the AV is idle for too long (e.g. overnight) there's no sound transferred via ARC (no error on the AV as well and CEC still works, just no sound).

ARC doesn't really require any specific compatability with the cable, but it would be advisable to use more recent cables rated HIGH SPEED. eARC on the other hand does require a cable that is compliant with HEC (HDMI Ethernet Channel).

I'd tend to suggest that there's a discrepancy with the HDMI handshaking that is being enacted between your TV and the AV receiuver. Both Samsung and Yamaha should be informed of this if wanting a resolution. There's not a lot if anything you can do to rectify it.

Yes I've tried two different HDMI cables: one with HDMI 2.1 (the one that came with the PS5, I assume it has to be ARC compatible as well) and one classified as HDMI 2.0 High Speed and ARC compatible.

The device control/CEC works as intended (my TV turns on when I turn my AV on) but as soon as the AV is idle for too long (e.g. overnight) there's no sound transferred via ARC (no error on the AV as well and CEC still works, just no sound).
I think this solve your problem, for my Samsung Q70R 2019 ARC model works fine even though "The unit consumes more power than when “Off” or “Auto” is selected" as stated here

Last edited:
Actually you have to update your unit via unit itself using physical buttons not via remote controler
I was able to update to the most recent release. Still the same issue.

I have a pretty basic setup. Xbox Series X in hdmi input 1 and Apple TV in hdmi input 2. That’s it. All ultra high speed hdmi cables.

Upon changing inputs I get a black screen. I can hear sound but no video. If I turn the receiver off and back on the video comes on right away.

I have all CEC disabled to keep everything as simple as possible.

Not sure if my fault or a by product of the firmware update, but seems my settings have been reset and I am no longer getting audio from my rears or ceiling mounted down firing speakers. I have a 5.1.2 with my ceiling speakers about 6 inches in front of me mounted directly in the ceiling, so firing straight down. I am mostly watching Netflix which is DD+ according to my receiver, but not getting audio from rears or the .2 ceiling speakers. Anyone found any good settings they'd like to recommend? Also, I might just re run YAPO calibration, should these .2 ceiling speakers be "presence" speakers when I set them up in the AVR? Thanks!

Not sure if my fault or a by product of the firmware update, but seems my settings have been reset and I am no longer getting audio from my rears or ceiling mounted down firing speakers. I have a 5.1.2 with my ceiling speakers about 6 inches in front of me mounted directly in the ceiling, so firing straight down. I am mostly watching Netflix which is DD+ according to my receiver, but not getting audio from rears or the .2 ceiling speakers. Anyone found any good settings they'd like to recommend? Also, I might just re run YAPO calibration, should these .2 ceiling speakers be "presence" speakers when I set them up in the AVR? Thanks!

It is possible that the content you are watching only has a 2 channel stereo soundtrack? Best to engage the receiver's own test tone prior to deciding to run the YPAO calibration in order to ensure you actually need to run the calibration again?

Also check that you've not set your TV's digital audio output to PCM? If you had then this too would result in you only getting 2 channel audio via that TV.

Yes, the 2 Atmos speakers would be refered to as Presence speakers in the Yamaha configurations.

It is possible that the content you are watching only has a 2 channel stereo soundtrack? Best to engage the receiver's own test tone prior to deciding to run the YPAO calibration in order to ensure you actually need to run the calibration again?

Also check that you've not set your TV's digital audio output to PCM? If you had then this too would result in you only getting 2 channel audio via that TV.

Yes, the 2 Atmos speakers would be refered to as Presence speakers in the Yamaha configurations.
Oh is DD+ not automatically 5.1? My V6A does say DD+ on the front panel. If not, then yes that could be it. I just assumed DD+ meant it was 5.1 at a minimum and then my reciever would do the rest to create audio for the 2 additional presence speakers (and my rears even though this should already be covered by the 5.1). I also just checked the settings on my LG B9 and confirmed it is set to ARC out as Passthrough and not PCM.

Edit: Yeah looked on Netflix and confirmed it is 5.1 track

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom