Yamaha RX-V4A & V6A Owners Thread

Has anyone managed to connect Sony WH-1000XM4 Bluetooth headphones to this receiver? I’ve managed to connect them using the MusicCast iOS app but the sound is just stuttering. I’ve tried Network Radio and Xbox as inputs with no difference. Thanks in advance.

I've connected the WH-1000XM3 to the V4A with the Bluetooth output settings. This worked. But for playing with the PS5 I have it wired directly to the controller wich works great for me.

I've connected the WH-1000XM3 to the V4A with the Bluetooth output settings. This worked. But for playing with the PS5 I have it wired directly to the controller wich works great for me.
Thanks for confirming. Just tried with some other Bluetooth headphones and it works fine. Must be an issue with the XM4s. Strange it’s fine with your XM3s then. Will keep investigating.

This may be a daft question but it's been a long while since I updated my AV setup...my speakers are connected to my old receiver with a cable that has 4 wires at each end i.e. 2 positive and 2 negative wires.

As the new yamaha R6 only has a single +/- for each speaker, do I need new cable or can I cap the existing wires and just have a single +/- at each end of the cable and connect that way or is that asking for trouble?

This may be a daft question but it's been a long while since I updated my AV setup...my speakers are connected to my old receiver with a cable that has 4 wires at each end i.e. 2 positive and 2 negative wires.

As the new yamaha R6 only has a single +/- for each speaker, do I need new cable or can I cap the existing wires and just have a single +/- at each end of the cable and connect that way or is that asking for trouble?
It sounds like your old speakers are bi-wireable, they usually come with a metal link between the terminals which can be removed if bi-wiring is required.
You can just connect the pos wires and neg pairs together at the AVR end or use new wires and link the speaker terminals again.

Just purchased the RX-V6A and was hooking up the speakers but now when I try to turn the receiver on I get the dreaded red blinking light. I did some browsing and found out that the receiver is in protect or protection mode (possibly a short) Other Yamaha receivers have a two button procedure to get the unit out of this protected mode but I have not been able to find the correct button procedure on the RX-V6A.

Does anyone know what the procedure to get my unit out of protection mode? I currently have disconnected all the cables and tried waiting for 30 minutes but nothing.

Thanks guys.

Just purchased the RX-V6A and was hooking up the speakers but now when I try to turn the receiver on I get the dreaded red blinking light. I did some browsing and found out that the receiver is in protect or protection mode (possibly a short) Other Yamaha receivers have a two button procedure to get the unit out of this protected mode but I have not been able to find the correct button procedure on the RX-V6A.

Does anyone know what the procedure to get my unit out of protection mode? I currently have disconnected all the cables and tried waiting for 30 minutes but nothing.

Thanks guys.

Did you prepare the speaker cables away from the receiver? could be that something is fallen inside?

Screenshot 2020-12-06 085912.png

Did you prepare the speaker cables away from the receiver? could be that something is fallen inside?

View attachment 1417145
I solder each one of the speaker cables to avoid this but anything is possible. I will double check but it would help to know if this model does have the self diagnostics like other Yamaha models so I could rest the protection.

Are you clamping the speaker wires or using banana plugs? As above all it needs is just one stray wire bridging the terminal gap.
What happens if all speakers are disconnected and you turn the amp on with no speakers?

Are you clamping the speaker wires or using banana plugs? As above all it needs is just one stray wire bridging the terminal gap.
What happens if all speakers are disconnected and you turn the amp on with no speakers?
I was clamping the speakers.

At the moment I have disconnected everything from the receiver and it won't power up. I'm get the red flashing light.

I did try button combonations and the only thing I was able to find was the USB flash (disconnect the receiver, push down Select/Enter and plug in the device). When I do this the device powers on and the lcd screen comes to life but the USB flash is the only thing it does.

On another note, I plug back in the HDMI cable going to the TV and then a Apple TV. Even though the device does not turn on it does perform pass thru. I got full image.

But just in case I have everything disconnected and cannot get it to start.

I'd exchange it. You may have just gotten a lemon. Before connecting the new one, check and make sure it turns on. Also check the connections on all of your speakers and make sure stray wires aren't touching and excess wire isn't exposed. When hooking up the replacement, keep it unplugged from power until everything is properly connected.

Twice now, my V6A randomly increased volume rapidly, without us touching the remote. It maxed out before we could stop it, and it was bloody loud!!

Anyone else has this issue?

Do anyone got problem eARC connect to TV when start up together, sound only like 50% success connect with TV. I am useing LGCX, the other time I need manual on off eARC on TV to reconnet.

Do anyone got problem eARC connect to TV when start up together, sound only like 50% success connect with TV. I am useing LGCX, the other time I need manual on off eARC on TV to reconnet.

Same TV but no

What I experience (apart the insane bug of PCM/Straight mode.. no response from Yamaha till now) is that sometimes there is a long delay to attach the stream, even 4 or 5 seconds where I see "Decoder off". It happens more the first time I change source (eg. from Sky to netflix app of LG)

After reading this thread is it safe to say that for the time being, it's better to leave my PS5 connected directly to my LG CX and run the sound through eARC from the CX to the RX-V6A?

I can see a difference in picture quality, HDR and colour if I run the PS5 through the RX-V6A itself. Onscreen info shows that it drops from 12bit RGB to 8bit if running through the receiver.

After reading this thread is it safe to say that for the time being, it's better to leave my PS5 connected directly to my LG CX and run the sound through eARC from the CX to the RX-V6A?

I can only say that a notebook Dell 4k capable (nvidia quadro p2000) attached via hdmi to Receiver is 100 times worst (eg. desktop of win 10) than attached to the TV. Icons and tiny font quite unreadable, while directly to TV not perfect but much better

All my 4k sources are connected to TV, to receiver only legacy ones (a BD/DVD and a Chromecast FHD)

Considering the various bugs and the sound not so enthusiastic, I guess I could keep my 12 yrs Onkyo with optical cable or hdmi arc 1.4 and save 650€ :-(

I have exact the same problem with the LG C9

Hallo, yesterday I bought this amp, here in Italy is renamed TSR400....I have a problem: If I set eARC on TV as audio OUT, on the AV there is no sound...
Into the AV There are also connecte ps4 and tv sat (HDMI and they work fine).I set control HDMI on....but nothing. So i decided to use optical out from tv and It works.
But there is another issue: audio is decentreted on the right side: I cant hear sound from center speker, couse it is coming out the right speaker. Surranud effect works: if there is an explosion on the left side, it works....but dialogue are sent to the right speaker. What's wrong? I entered settings, such as distance and volume; while side speaker an surround are editable, center speaker is not. It is in grey and I can't select it. NEt radio and Fm works fine on all channel......Help me if yoiu can, and sorry for my bad English..:rolleyes:

Thanks for confirming. Just tried with some other Bluetooth headphones and it works fine. Must be an issue with the XM4s. Strange it’s fine with your XM3s then. Will keep investigating.
If anyone else has managed to connect the XM4s to this receiver using Bluetooth please let me know. The previous poster said they had connected XM3 headphones but my XM4s still aren’t working. I’ve connected other Bluetooth headphones to the receiver successfully so I think it must be the headphones. Sony have suggested I send the headphones in for replacement but that seems overkill as Bluetooth works fine connected to any other device. I’m guessing it could be bug with either the Yamaha or XM4s which could be resolved with firmware. Will send the headphones back in the new year if I can’t get this working.

If anyone else has managed to connect the XM4s to this receiver using Bluetooth please let me know. The previous poster said they had connected XM3 headphones but my XM4s still aren’t working. I’ve connected other Bluetooth headphones to the receiver successfully so I think it must be the headphones. Sony have suggested I send the headphones in for replacement but that seems overkill as Bluetooth works fine connected to any other device. I’m guessing it could be bug with either the Yamaha or XM4s which could be resolved with firmware. Will send the headphones back in the new year if I can’t get this working.
I have this problem with the Sony MDR-XB650BT

I can see a difference in picture quality, HDR and colour if I run the PS5 through the RX-V6A itself. Onscreen info shows that it drops from 12bit RGB to 8bit if running through the receiver.

Yes, it would be better to connect the console directly to your until Yamaha release their firmware revision that will update their latest models to give those models the advertised HDMI version 2.1 capabilities.

The video shouldn't be any different, but if you get better results by a direct to TV connection then you'd obviously be better off with such a connection. The AV receiver should simply be acting as a repeater and isn't intended to process the video signal, not unless you are using that receiver's upscaling capabilitirs? Some degree of processing also needs to be engaged in order for the AV receiver's own onscreen graphics, menus etc to be mixed into the video passing through the AV receiver. THis can unfortunaley have a slight detrimental effect upon said video.

Your console isn't passing 4K 120fps through the AV receiver and you'd not be able to do this until after Yamaha have released the firmware revision that gives their new models this ability. This isn't expected until spring next year. Whatever you are passing through your V6 right now isn't 4K/120.

As a sife note, your TV's panel is only 10 bit so there's utter;y no point in trying to pass anything more than this through the AV receiver are convey anything moe than a 10 but video signal to your display.

Hi dante01. Thanks for the reply. And thanks for the info. I've added screen shots to show the different info I'm getting from having it connected to the TV and then directly to the receiver. Or am I just reading to much into this? I've noticed HDR is brighter through the RX-V6A .

Through TV

Through receiver

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom