Yamaha RX-V4A & V6A Owners Thread

needed a firmware update straight away and still learning the menu system its changed

Mine came a couple of days ago. I have been a long time denon, marantz and onkyo user. Good grief the menu system is taking a bit of getting used to. Has any one found the menu laggy? Also has any harmony users had any luck with finding the amp in the settings when programming the remote?

Mine came a couple of days ago. I have been a long time denon, marantz and onkyo user. Good grief the menu system is taking a bit of getting used to. Has any one found the menu laggy? Also has any harmony users had any luck with finding the amp in the settings when programming the remote?
I found the menu system a little laggy, the 585 an older model i have is faster, i'm sure that's something they will iron out with future firmware updates.

maybe im being a muppet here - but i dont think im getting ATMOS from this reciever?- or dont know how to change setting - On the amp screen it says "Straight" i want it to show "ATMOS" or whatever the film is encoded as - has anyone figured this?

Hmm how is the menu different from the A850 or A8x0 series? This menu is very snappy, although not pretty or nice to look at it but it does its job.

Also is the app different or is it just the regular AV controller app from Yamaha?

Anybody have a pic of the display on the AVR? My A850 has a white letters which I like and ability to dim. Blue letters are always harder to read. The display looks smaller as well on the V6A?

I really want the HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision support but maybe I should wait for the A2A... Have a pc with RTX 3080 soon and an Xbox Series X and PS5 pre-ordered as well. So 3 devices that benefit from HDMI 2.1

maybe im being a muppet here - but i dont think im getting ATMOS from this reciever?- or dont know how to change setting - On the amp screen it says "Straight" i want it to show "ATMOS" or whatever the film is encoded as - has anyone figured this?
You can change what is displayed on the screen if it's like other Yamaha AVRs. Straight just means there is no filtering or effect applied. Another display option would probably show the current decoder being used.

answered my own question lol its touch screen on amp and show

Hmm how is the menu different from the A850 or A8x0 series? This menu is very snappy, although not pretty or nice to look at it but it does its job.

Also is the app different or is it just the regular AV controller app from Yamaha?

Anybody have a pic of the display on the AVR? My A850 has a white letters which I like and ability to dim. Blue letters are always harder to read. The display looks smaller as well on the V6A?

I really want the HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision support but maybe I should wait for the A2A... Have a pc with RTX 3080 soon and an Xbox Series X and PS5 pre-ordered as well. So 3 devices that benefit from HDMI 2.1

The letters on the display are white not blue, easy to read, although the screen is smaller, the font is larger. In the menu you can set the red green blue and yellow buttons so that the first two cycles through the information displayed on the front screen and the next two control brightness up and down of the front display, very handy. One criticism for me is that on my 585 you can see what channels are being outputted at a glance from the icons of the different speakers on the bottom right of the display. On the V6A it just shows the source and current sound mode you are in, you now have to cycle through front screen display information to see the icons for which speakers are being outputted, which is a bit annoying.

App wise, not its not the regular AV controller app, you need the musiccast app now.

Last edited:
Straight is a 2.1 stereo mode on my (ages old!) Yamaha avr, you probably need to put it back into a surround mode.

Straight is a 2.1 stereo mode on my (ages old!) Yamaha avr, you probably need to put it back into a surround mode.
No straight is just a DSP mode without any applied effects. Straight doesn't mean Stereo or Dolby Digital or whatever.

No on this receiver, and all Yamaha receiver from the last couple years, straight mean it simply put's out whatever signal it receives with no effect processing (cinema 3d DSP modes). So for example if the receiver is getting a stereo signal, say from spotify, it will output 2.1 with no surround or cinema 3d dsp processing, if its's receiving a 5.1 signal, from a netflix movie for example, it will output 5.1, again with no effects.

I use Straight as the default reference and then go through the sound modes to see if prefer it better. For example watching a 90's sitcom on sky box the receiver is obviously getting a stereo signal, straight mode would output the audio in 2.1 mode, no processing. But then if I switch to standard, drama or one of the other sound modes it will spread the stereo signal into a 5.1 adding a bit of effect depending on which sound mode you have it on (standard and drama being the two most neutral) This is useful on older stereo shows from the 90's as the sound mode takes the vocals out the stereo mix and puts them on the centre channel making dialogue easier to hear.

The letters on the display are white not blue, easy to read, although the screen is smaller, the font is larger. In the menu you can set the red green blue and yellow buttons so that the first two cycles through the information displayed on the front screen and the next two control brightness up and down of the front display, very handy. One criticism for me is that on my 585 you can see what channels are being outputted at a glance from the icons of the different speakers on the bottom right of the display. On the V6A it just shows the source and current sound mode you are in, you have to cycle the using the colour buttons to see the icons for which speakers are being outputted which is a bit annoying.

App wise, not its not the regular AV controller app, you need the musiccast app now.
Hmm the MusicCast app for everything even if you don't use MusicCast? This is a negative point for me... Why did they change this, every AVR before this used the AV controller app.

Good to hear the letters are white, the pictures on the Yamaha website show blue letters :s

Just watched a video but the display still looks smaller than the A8x0 to me. Has a blueish tint as it is backlit?

Could anyone post a pic? Here is my current display.

Attachments

• 20201003_223826-01.jpeg
    20201003_223826-01.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Hmm the MusicCast app for everything even if you don't use MusicCast? This is a negative point for me... Why did they change this, every AVR before this used the AV controller app.

Good to hear the letters are white, the pictures on the Yamaha website show blue letters :s

Yeh I found this a down point too, i liked the AV controller app. The AVR is now a 'MusicCast Device' in a 'Room' it also renames the AVR broadcast name (what the AVR shows up as in spotifiy connect menu etc) to Living room or whatever room you assign the unit to. All the same functions are there as before to change sound settings etc.

Yeh I found this a down point too, i liked the AV controller app. The AVR is now a 'MusicCast Device' in a 'Room' it also renames the AVR broadcast name (what the AVR shows up as in spotifiy connect menu etc) to Living room or whatever room you assign the unit to. All the same functions are there as before to change sound settings etc.
Thanks for elaborating. Why do companies always want to shove other products down our throats... I will never buy anything MusicCast. Hope the Aventage series doesn't do this. Would be a reason to skip this one alone.

599 USD is cheap though.. over here it's over 900 USD... Wow

Just watched a video but the display still looks smaller than the A8x0 to me. Has a blueish tint as it is backlit?

Could anyone post a pic? Here is my current display.
Yeh the display you have is the same as the 585 i have. The new one is a LCD panel so their is a blueish tint to the whole background of the display but the text information on top of the blue background is in white. I would take a pic for you but I'm not home until Tuesday.

If I'm being honest I prefer the older front display, you can see more information at a glance and it was legible from far away too. The new yamaha models front screen displays are much more 'Denony'

Yeh the display you have is the same as the 585 i have. The new one is a LCD panel so their is a blueish tint to the whole background of the display but the text information on top of the blue background is in white. I would take a pic for you but I'm not home until Tuesday.

If I'm being honest I prefer the older front display, you can see more information at a glance and it was legible from far away too. The new yamaha models front screen displays are much more 'Denony'
Yes unfortunately new isn't always better. Probably cheaper to make.

I'll be honest, i like it when you change HDMI setting it tells you claerly what device you are on in big txt - the old one was sometimes hard to spot - but i wish it would show the speaker layout on the screen. but then again whay do i actually need it i know i have a 5.1.2 system lol, with YPAO setup i noticed they have dropped the graphics showing the speakers - its all txt but cant complain, the reverse logic on showing display off/on on what you want to show is a little strange - but got my head around it - I stick to my earlier post im happy with the quality of sound and i glad i bought this rather than the 3700 denon or even the 4700

Hi i have a big problem with this receiver.
As soon as I mounted the audio arc from the tv (netflix sky) it worked perfectly, then I connected the pc with optical output to the receiver and from the settings I turned off the hdmi control and turned on the audio output to hear the audio from the pc.
When I put the control hdmi settings back on E.ARC it no longer worked and I can no longer hear the TV sound to hear it I have to connect it with an optical cable.
I tried to tidy everything up and start over but couldn't hear the audio via EARC anymore.
Can anyone help me?
I don't want to take everything apart and return the receiver.
Thank you

As soon as I mounted the audio arc from the tv (netflix sky) it worked perfectly, then I connected the pc with optical output to the receiver and from the settings I turned off the hdmi control and turned on the audio output to hear the audio from the pc.
When I put the control hdmi settings back on E.ARC it no longer worked and I can no longer hear the TV sound to hear it I have to connect it with an optical cable.
I tried to tidy everything up and start over but couldn't hear the audio via EARC anymore.
Can anyone help me?
Thank you
Hmm here I was hoping Yamaha had solved their ARC problems I have been having for years...

Try to unplug your receiver and tv while they are powered on. It sounds strange but for me it kind of resets the arc connection. Have to do this once every few weeks when arc stops working.

I'll be honest, i like it when you change HDMI setting it tells you claerly what device you are on in big txt - the old one was sometimes hard to spot - but i wish it would show the speaker layout on the screen. but then again whay do i actually need it i know i have a 5.1.2 system lol, with YPAO setup i noticed they have dropped the graphics showing the speakers - its all txt but cant complain, the reverse logic on showing display off/on on what you want to show is a little strange - but got my head around it - I stick to my earlier post im happy with the quality of sound and i glad i bought this rather than the 3700 denon or even the 4700
What does the on screen menu look like? Is there no graphic interface on screen any more with ypao setup?

Hmm here I was hoping Yamaha had solved their ARC problems I have been having for years...

Try to unplug your receiver and tv while they are powered on. It sounds strange but for me it kind of resets the arc connection. Have to do this once every few weeks when arc stops working.
is this v6a specific??i had the v685.though i never did use optical but switching to smthng ither than hdmi and then cmng back to hdmi i never saw this issue.pls correct me if i got the whole premise wrong

is this v6a specific??i had the v685.though i never did use optical but switching to smthng ither than hdmi and then cmng back to hdmi i never saw this issue.pls correct me if i got the whole premise wrong
No, I have an A850 and I recognize this issue where sometimes ARC would just stop working no matter what you do. Sometimes it just doesn't come on when you turn on the TV and AVR, and other times it stops when I switch between HDMI and AV input for example.

The only way to fix it is to unplug both TV and AVR while they are powered on. Just a power cycle won't work.

Can anyone help me?
Thank you
You should have just changed the source input on your receiver to get sound from the pc, not turn off hdmi control. Thats assuming you just wanted music from the pc to play on speakers.

To get it back, I would do a reset and start again with default settings and turn off tv hdmi control and turn it back on after doing the reset on the receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom